Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have a Gamecube component cable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Problem here is that the official SNES/N64/GameCube S-Video cable is going up in price as well. You're taking a gamble in the quality of 3rd-party and aftermarket ones. Indeed, my Madcatz S-video cable produces very oversaturated colors.
    I'm not quite sure who made the S-Video cable that I use with my N64 and SNES. It seems to do an okay job; it's definitely better than when I use composite.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gotta love how anything Nintendo is gold. I love how there's about 130 sold on ebay completed auctions and there's still several that've broken the $200 mark despite the fact that you can get a Wii for less than $50 almost anywhere now. Is there really some morbid thrill about having to win an auction or something like that?
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    Gotta love how anything Nintendo is gold. I love how there's about 130 sold on ebay completed auctions and there's still several that've broken the $200 mark despite the fact that you can get a Wii for less than $50 almost anywhere now. Is there really some morbid thrill about having to win an auction or something like that?
    You never know, might be driven by some underground cult of Phantasy Star Online fanboys.
    Wii is incompatible with the pathetically supported GC broadband adapter.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    You never know, might be driven by some underground cult of Phantasy Star Online fanboys.
    Wii is incompatible with the pathetically supported GC broadband adapter.
    My stupid ass bought the broadband adapter and never used it. I know that you can use it to do some kind of piracy, but I've never bothered to try it.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Wouldn't be surprised, if they're mail order. I thought Nintendo of America never sold s-video cables at retail stores?
    Not sure, they were sold in stores in the UK during the N64 era (as that was the best video picture you could get on an unmodified PAL N64).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Not sure, they were sold in stores in the UK during the N64 era (as that was the best video picture you could get on an unmodified PAL N64).
    As far as I know Nintendo didn't quite finish s-video on PAL N64. Missing resistors for acceptable brightness apparently.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

There are a few people out there trying to develop an adapter that connects to the digital port that will allow the GC to output HDMI. It might be best to keep an eye on that since it will probably be a better and cheaper alternative than going after the component cables.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wouldn't be surprised, if they're mail order. I thought Nintendo of America never sold s-video cables at retail stores?
    Picture of an SNES branded one with hangtab is in this thread:
    http://nintendoage.com/forum/message...threadid=59001

I think they're up in price since they get the best possible video (without modding) for SNES, which is more popular than N64 or GameCube. Guess I'm lucky not to need them, with an SNES Jr. that produces good composite and owning component video cables for GameCube. Would like a set for N64 in the future though.

Also, I'd like to argue that while S-video is good, component cables do provide a sizable improvement over them even on 480i. Keep in mind that a lot of GameCube games cannot do 480p, so having a progressive scan CRT is pointless for them. The improvement is still there with component cables though. IMO, playing those games on a Sony Trinitron with VR enabled, using component cables, is the best way to play them.
    Last edited by BetaWolf47; 04-26-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Picture of an SNES branded one with hangtab is in this thread:
    http://nintendoage.com/forum/message...threadid=59001

I think they're up in price since they get the best possible video (without modding) for SNES, which is more popular than N64 or GameCube. Guess I'm lucky not to need them, with an SNES Jr. that produces good composite and owning component video cables for GameCube. Would like a set for N64 in the future though.

Also, I'd like to argue that while S-video is good, component cables do provide a sizable improvement over them even on 480i. Keep in mind that a lot of GameCube games cannot do 480p, so having a progressive scan CRT is pointless for them. The improvement is still there with component cables though. IMO, playing those games on a Sony Trinitron with VR enabled, using component cables, is the best way to play them.
    Looks promising, they've been shown here before. Service center leaflet makes me curious.

US SNES has RGB, easiest to get a third-party cable. Nintendo's PAL or JPN ones aren't right for general use.

Yeah the fact is quite a few NTSC games need hacked 480p. But I haven't seen much interest in it judging by my list's responses.
    To be fair I'm pretty sure I lack any way to get reliable pictures.
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/qoob-us-j...y-list.358717/
    Last edited by theclaw; 04-26-2014 at 07:52 PM.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

US SNES has RGB, easiest to get a third-party cable. Nintendo's PAL or JPN ones aren't right for general use.
    What do you mean, "Aren't right for general use"? I didn't realize there were differences between PAL and Japanese S-Video cables.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

What do you mean, "Aren't right for general use"? I didn't realize there were differences between PAL and Japanese S-Video cables.
    RGB is not s-video. But yes it applies to both. On the SNES, NTSC or PAL consoles are supposed to use different cables. Nintendo of Europe made hardware changes.
    Lum fan.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Yeah, you need to apply or remove a resistor somewhere iirc.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

They did during the SNES era. I bought one from Babbages (which later became GameStop).

And honestly, all the 3rd party multi system s-video cables I've used, and I've used several of them, have been just as good for the Nintendo systems as the official Nintendo one, so long as you don't do something like have it plugged into another system at the same time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    They did during the SNES era. I bought one from Babbages (which later became GameStop).

And honestly, all the 3rd party multi system s-video cables I've used, and I've used several of them, have been just as good for the Nintendo systems as the official Nintendo one, so long as you don't do something like have it plugged into another system at the same time.
    The Madcatz one I have produces way oversaturated color, plus the pins are kind of flimsy. I had to use tweezers to bend them back into place because they bent just a few weeks after I got them.

Have you ever done a real side by side comparison of yours? Like, used a TV that has multiple s-video inputs, plugged in several N64's into it through S-Video using different cables, and compared the differences? I'd be interested in hearing which ones produce the same quality of picture as the official ones.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mort View Post
    On the right television, it can make a big difference. If you have a CRT that does component & 480p, games will look much better. F-Zero GX looks fantastic using them.

Then again, you can also get the same results with a backwards-compatible Wii and component cables. It may be a little cheaper that way.

I heard the gamecube component still trumps wii component due to the quality of the built in dac on the gamecube cable

Don't know if its true and definitely know its not going to be 100 dollar difference better looking, but still, thats what I heard
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."