Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has a console ever depreciated as quickly as the Xbox One ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Has a console ever depreciated as quickly as the Xbox One ?

I've been around gaming a very long time, and I'm not sure that I've seen a "major" console depreciate faster than the Xbox One has depreciated in value. It's been about 20 years since I've seen anything like this. The Panasonic 3DO launched for $699.99, and I'm sure by late April 1994, you could find a used one in the classified section of your newspaper for maybe $450 or $400, which is a really huge drop in value.

However, in the 20 years since the 3DO, I can't think of anything that has depreciated as quickly. Also, it's kind of hard to consider the 3DO a "major" system, so you'd probably have to go back even farther.

So, I bought an Xbox One on launch day, and I paid about $517 with tax and everything ( I had a Target red card, so actually got 5 percent off or it would be a bit higher ). I paid $517, and I got an Xbox One system, along with a controller, power supply, Kinect 2.0, etc, etc. No games came with my Xbox One, and I didn't get a second controller.

So now, about 5 months later, I can go to my local Craigslist, and there are people "struggling" to even get $350 for their Xbox One system. Demand has literally fallen off a cliff it seems. The stores are overflowing with stock, and anybody that really, really wanted a Xbox One, has probably already gotten one. If you're in a situation where you are forced to sell off your Xbox One for whatever reason, you're going to take a HUGE loss on the thing unfortunately.

I saw this one guy selling an Xbox One system, and he was including two games, and an extra controller, and he was trying to get $350 for the thing. That's with 2 games and an extra controller ! So, the one that I bought for $517, which only includes the one controller, and doesn't include any games, must be worth even less than $350. In fact, if you were in a desperate situation, and had to sell your Xbox One for whatever reason, and you didn't have any extra controllers or games, you're probably looking at $300 in the clear, which is downright laughable, considering this thing is only like 5 months old. To go from having a $500 value to having a $300 value in 5 months, is almost unfathomable. Yet, that is exactly what is going on with the Xbox One. Sure, the 3DO had a similar decline, but 3DO wasn't the market leading console in the previous generation. 3DO was a bit player at the time. Probably given less of a chance of success than even TTi's TurboDuo or the Atari Jaguar. So, you might have to consider the 3DO like the 4th or 5th competitor at the time. Microsoft is one of the big 3 right now, and their number one platform has lost almost half of it's value on the secondary market, in a mere 5 months.
    Last edited by WCP; 04-27-2014 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow that's sad and I had no idea. That royally sucks for anyone who paid up on it as that's a good 40% loss in a matter of less than a half year on the market. There's really no incentive buying a new one with deals like that.

I'm almost not surprised. MS screwed themselves up front hard core with their fans and more so with interested parties trying to pick and choose. They set the thing up with somewhat inferior(to PS4) hardware yet ask $100 more for it since they refuse to do a non-camera boxed option. You get that whole thing on how DRM would be the best thing ever and developers getting wood over being able to screw and control consumers which backfires horribly and the only take it back after so long it did damage. If you want the BIG game for their system, it's not even system specific as Titanfall is on the PC, and beyond that you don't have their minimal system specific staples yet of Forza, Halo and Gears. Even with that all against them, it's still crazy that huge of a fall off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A lot of people will look at this situation, and they will just say something like.... "Well that's just the normal Early Adopter Tax.. If you're an early adopter, you always get screwed".

I understand that sentiment, but it's not always the case. Yes, there is always an Early Adopter Tax that you have to pay, because the price is always going to come down, and the deal will always be sweetened with extra things thrown in, but usually the penalty isn't as severe as this. For example, if you bought a PS4, you probably paid like $416 or so, and if you were forced to sell your PS4 right now, you could probably get $350. Sure, you're taking a $66 hit in value, but that's peanuts compared to the XB1.

Also, I'm not trying to be a hater on the XB1 with this. I try not to show allegiance to any particular make or model. My allegiance is more with specific developers that seem to bring the heat more often than not. I could really care less about the name stamped on the outside of the hardware. Also, I'm not going to be selling my XB1 anytime soon, primarily because I know that if i did sell it, in about 4 more months some game would come out , and I would want to buy the XB1 right back, so what would be the point of selling it ? But, still, it always stings a little bit to spend that much coin on something, and then find out that the value of the item has nearly been chopped in half. I guess it doesn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things, because I know over the lifespan of the XB1 I'll have some amazing experiences on that console.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

People are just fed up with microsoft in general. I think very few people were excited about it before and when it was released.
    Considering all of the instances of XBox360s just ceasing to function for no good reason, I think many people are wary about dropping 4-500$ on more microsoft gaming hardware. Not just that people dont want to pay so much, but people dont want anything to do with the system.
    Also the whole DRM issue that microsoft tried to push. Sure they eventually decided not to implement it, but I think many gamers were left with the impression that microsoft was just screwing over the consumer. The fact that they did such a huge backtrack makes me think that microsoft as a company is just interested in pandering to the masses instead of offering newer more original content. Plus there is barely any games for the system. The WiiU suffers from the same problem. How can they expect you to pay top dollar for a new system when all the better content wont be available for 2 more years (when the system price will have dropped considerably).
    In short, not many people want the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

WCP in this case there is no way it's early adopter tax. Early adopter tax specifically in history has been about the MSRP, not the resale average price. Resale is always lower, it's used. The issue here is that it's 40-45% lower which is a cockpunching to anyone fed up with their 'One' as the one is turning into a number two in what you get back out of it.

I totally get the sentiment, hell I even got theoretically burned by the early adopter tax (3DS, despite the 'ambassador' apology package) so I truly understand that. But that's the thing, even when it was 'overpriced' it wasn't selling at nearly 1/2 price to used buyers, it was more like 30% off (250->180) being $70 off. Prior to that official drop real buyers were fine at $200 on a used one which is 20% off, not 40-45%.

I think BB makes a good set of points. People are fed up with MS. They got a bad track record. XB pops up, first units were sketchy and it was a Halo box for nearly a year. Then 360 and what do they do? Rush it out probably a year early with the RROD and other bits of fun, plus as a fuck you to their fans they killed the xbox cold turkey first party wise. THen you get the One with all the threats of DRM, being $100 more (learned NOTHING from PS3 on that one eh?), having nothing unique (Titanfall PC is superior if your hardware is decent to excellent), and the other garbage people went on about. It's just a bad trifecta of MS arrogance, pushiness, and bullshit the company is known for going back to their DOS/Windows copycat days.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

How can any console today be priced higher than $300 new? To me that's the absolute cut off point in terms of value. You might as well buy a new computer at around $500. Back with consoles in the 90's, any decent computer would still cost a few thousand dollars new so several hundred for a console would still seem reasonable.

This is my view as a casual consumer, I'm not that into current consoles as I prefer older ones. I haven't even heard of any good games for this new system yet, any game that's not just a newer version in an existing franchise. Honestly I barely hear about this Xbox One console at all outside of forums like this. It kind of feels like Windows Vista, people just stopped caring about it shortly after it's been released.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    How can any console today be priced higher than $300 new? To me that's the absolute cut off point in terms of value. You might as well buy a new computer at around $500. Back with consoles in the 90's, any decent computer would still cost a few thousand dollars new so several hundred for a console would still seem reasonable.

This is my view as a casual consumer, I'm not that into current consoles as I prefer older ones. I haven't even heard of any good games for this new system yet, any game that's not just a newer version in an existing franchise. Honestly I barely hear about this Xbox One console at all outside of forums like this. It kind of feels like Windows Vista, people just stopped caring about it shortly after it's been released.
    Today's consoles are essentially cheap PCs, so I'm not following the argument. If you look at various tech websites, several did an analysis of what a comparably equipped PC to a PS4 and Xbox One would cost and frankly, they found that there wasn't much mark-up and that the consoles were only slightly less capable than the PCs they could build for around the same cost.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...a-next-gen-pc/

Once the second and third generation exclusive games on the Xbox One and PS4 start hitting stores, I think you'll see another surge in interest in the Xbox One and PS4.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone bought an Xbox One day one? See, that's your problem, right there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I dimly recall the Gamecube dropping in price by £40 BEFORE it was launched (to put it in perspective without having to go through a million different exchange rates, it launched in 2002 for a third of the price of the Bone in 2013).

Didn't PS3 have a similarly terrible launch? I definitely recall buying my launch PS3 off of ebay for about £80 (roughly $120-130) cheaper than the RRP, and that was less than two weeks after launch. And come to think of it, wasn't the same person- Phil Harrison- responsible for both the PS3 and the Bone's launch?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Nintendo will sell you a refurbished Wii U for $200. They're not worth much now either.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Nintendo will sell you a refurbished Wii U for $200. They're not worth much now either.
    Thank you. Thats what I came in to say as well.

Apart from that, the xboxone titanfall edition in some stores actually comes out to being a lot cheaper than the ps4 provided you actually want all the extras included. I've seen it he bundle brand new for around $430 including titanfall the game and a year of live for free. Thats a great deal no matter how you slice it. I almost considered buying it until I remembered that I hate microsoft as a game company so fuck xbox.

I'm not going to extol the virtues of sony or nintendo over microsoft like theyre our friends looking out for the little guy, but they at least make efforts to EARN my money. Even when microsoft hands you a deal I can't shake the feeling theyre fucking me over in the end and setting me up for the long con with everything they hide behind a paywall or what their ultimate plan is with the kinect.

I think thats what it all boils down to, people are slowly waking up to the way microsoft conducts business and are tired of it. People keep going on and on about a kinect less bundle being the xbox final saving grace but the kinect is the one thing that makes it unique, if you take that away then wtf do you have? A machine that costs as much as the competition but offers less in terms of exclusives and worse multiplatforms. A 400 dollar halo machine
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Well this is the slow time of the year for consoles.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Today's consoles are essentially cheap PCs, so I'm not following the argument. If you look at various tech websites, several did an analysis of what a comparably equipped PC to a PS4 and Xbox One would cost and frankly, they found that there wasn't much mark-up and that the consoles were only slightly less capable than the PCs they could build for around the same cost.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...a-next-gen-pc/

Once the second and third generation exclusive games on the Xbox One and PS4 start hitting stores, I think you'll see another surge in interest in the Xbox One and PS4.
    I think you are just stating two sides of the same coin. I'm on Gameguy's side of it, though. If the hardware is essentially the same, why buy the less capable console? Just get the PC, play nearly all the same games, but also do all the other things that people do with PCs. That's my interpretation, anyway.

I agree with you about a surge when new games hit. Seems inevitable.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    I think you are just stating two sides of the same coin. I'm on Gameguy's side of it, though. If the hardware is essentially the same, why buy the less capable console? Just get the PC, play nearly all the same games, but also do all the other things that people do with PCs. That's my interpretation, anyway.

Not really. His whole argument was that consoles should be $300 or less and yet given that modern consoles are almost identical to low end PCs, it seems impossible to meet that price point. Where can you find a $300 PC with as much memory, hard drive space, as powerful a processor and graphics card, along with the same audio capability and HD output, plus a Blu Ray drive? Unless you're building it yourself and using low end components and not using any Microsoft or other licensed software, I think building a PC for that amount is pretty difficult or impossible and it probably wouldn't perform as well as either a PS4 or Xbox One. You can buy or build a PC for $500, but is it going to have the same longevity as the PS4 or Xbox One as a viable gaming platform? Not in my experience unless you aren't playing graphics and processor intensive games.

I see owning a console as giving up some performance in exchange for the ability to play games that will likely never come to the PC and avoiding the obsolescence that comes quickly to low end PCs, especially for gaming. I actually own a PC and a MAC that are both used for modern gaming, but if I had to pick either a console for gaming or a PC, I would always go for the console even if the pricing is similar.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 04-28-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post

That's exactly what I was getting at. If consoles are the same price point as a PC, you might as well just buy a PC which has less limitations with how you use it.

Not really. His whole argument was that consoles should be $300 or less and yet given that modern consoles are almost identical to low end PCs, it seems impossible to meet that price point. Where can you find a $300 PC with as much memory, hard drive space, as powerful a processor and graphics card, along with the same audio capability and HD output, plus a Blu Ray drive? Unless you're building it yourself and using low end components and not using any Microsoft or other licensed software, I think building a PC for that amount is pretty difficult or impossible and it probably wouldn't perform as well as either a PS4 or Xbox One. You can buy or build a PC for $500, but is it going to have the same longevity as the PS4 or Xbox One as a viable gaming platform? Not in my experience unless you aren't playing graphics and processor intensive games.

I see owning a console as giving up some performance in exchange for the ability to play games that will likely never come to the PC and avoiding the obsolescence that comes quickly to low end PCs, especially for gaming. I actually own a PC and a MAC that are both used for modern gaming, but if I had to pick either a console for gaming or a PC, I would always go for the console even if the pricing is similar.
    My argument was that as a casual consumer, it doesn't seem like a good deal to spend more than $300 on a console. Since the current Wii U released at $299.99, it's more than just possible for consoles to be released at that price point. If a console was $500 today, I would spend a bit more to buy a new PC and stick to that. At least when there doesn't appear to be any exclusive games that look like must own titles. Consoles aren't even just for playing games anymore, they're like media players for streaming video. Any PC can do that too. Just reading up on the "benefits" of this Xbox One console, it includes a built-in Skype client for videoconferencing, the ability to use voice commands and gestures to navigate the console's user interface, cloud computing, the ability to automatically record and share video highlights from gameplay, and support for live streaming gameplay online. How many of these things would help improve the way games play? It just sounds like upgrades for a new computer. I'm not going to buy a new console at $500 just so I can use voice commands to boot up a game, or so I can Skype with people, or upload gameplay videos to youtube or other video sites. I can already do that with my PC, not that I bother with that either. Also, when we personally buy new computers they tend to be used regularly for about 10 years before they're too old to be useable for daily use. Consoles are usually replaced every 5 years or so, it's just not worth spending so much on them.

There was a time when consoles were actually more suitable for games than PCs, back when Super Mario Bros came out side scrolling games of that quality weren't possible on home computers, it wasn't for a few years until Commander Keen pulled it off on the PC. Those days are long gone, computers are just as capable as consoles for playing games.

I was also a bit confused by the article that you posted, I assume you posted it to support your argument but the article actually supports my view.

To be honest, while hitting the £420 price of an Xbone is eminently possible, I’d recommend you spend just a little more on a games PC than that – it’ll last you longer, there’s more scope for upgrading later, games will look fancier and you won’t have to spend a week trawling price comparison sites. Either way, the idea that a beefy games PC costs thousands of dollars/pounds is an outdated and wildly inaccurate one.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    Didn't PS3 have a similarly terrible launch? I definitely recall buying my launch PS3 off of ebay for about £80 (roughly $120-130) cheaper than the RRP, and that was less than two weeks after launch. And come to think of it, wasn't the same person- Phil Harrison- responsible for both the PS3 and the Bone's launch?
    Yeah. $600 console = only hardcore PS fanboys buy it = few games get made for it = more games still get made for PS2
    (and the Wii hype probably drove into its sales potential as well)
    Pretty sure interest didn't rise until around E3 2008, when Sony cut the price to $400, which is probably about the limit for a mass-market price.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    That's exactly what I was getting at. If consoles are the same price point as a PC, you might as well just buy a PC which has less limitations with how you use it.

My argument was that as a casual consumer, it doesn't seem like a good deal to spend more than $300 on a console. Since the current Wii U released at $299.99, it's more than just possible for consoles to be released at that price point. If a console was $500 today, I would spend a bit more to buy a new PC and stick to that. At least when there doesn't appear to be any exclusive games that look like must own titles. Consoles aren't even just for playing games anymore, they're like media players for streaming video. Any PC can do that too. Just reading up on the "benefits" of this Xbox One console, it includes a built-in Skype client for videoconferencing, the ability to use voice commands and gestures to navigate the console's user interface, cloud computing, the ability to automatically record and share video highlights from gameplay, and support for live streaming gameplay online. How many of these things would help improve the way games play? It just sounds like upgrades for a new computer. I'm not going to buy a new console at $500 just so I can use voice commands to boot up a game, or so I can Skype with people, or upload gameplay videos to youtube or other video sites. I can already do that with my PC, not that I bother with that either. Also, when we personally buy new computers they tend to be used regularly for about 10 years before they're too old to be useable for daily use. Consoles are usually replaced every 5 years or so, it's just not worth spending so much on them.

There was a time when consoles were actually more suitable for games than PCs, back when Super Mario Bros came out side scrolling games of that quality weren't possible on home computers, it wasn't for a few years until Commander Keen pulled it off on the PC. Those days are long gone, computers are just as capable as consoles for playing games.

I was also a bit confused by the article that you posted, I assume you posted it to support your argument but the article actually supports my view.
    Your argument is just silly. The WiiU hardware is well below the capabilities of the Xbox One or the PS4 hardware and in fact is only slightly more capable than the Xbox 360 or PS3. Considering those two consoles are 7+ years old and can be had for as little as $200 during the holidays and other sale periods, paying $300 for a WiiU seems downright expensive IMHO if you're just looking at cost and capabilities on the hardware side. It's like arguing that all cars should be priced the same as a Hyundai or a Scion just because those cheaper cars exist. Consumers don't make choices solely based on price, they also consider things like features, comfort, reliability, longevity, ease of use, capabilities, etc...The same goes for gaming hardware.

The reality is that gamers buy the WiiU because it has great exclusive games, not because it's $300 and therefore cheaper than a cheap PC. Gamers also know that Nintendo won't be selling their console games on a PC, at least not in the near future. The same is or will be true of the Xbox One and PS4. Many gamers like the reliability and seamless support for gaming that a console provides. You don't have to worry about upgrading the graphics card every 2-3 years and you don't have to worry about hardware or software incompatibility or what operating system you run or what drivers are installed, etc...I say this as a long-time PC gamer and someone who actually has a fairly recent gaming PC. Frankly, a $500 gaming PC is not going to be able to run most FPS or graphics intensive games in 3-5 years while at least in the previous generation, Microsoft and Sony were just hitting their stride at five years and seem likely to support the 360 and PS3 for at least a couple more years with AAA releases, making the lifespan of the past generation probably a decade.

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Take it to Gamestop and get a quote on it. It'll make the Craigslist prices look like a steal in comparison. I'm more than happy owning a Wii-U and an Ouya this generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Your argument is just silly. The WiiU hardware is well below the capabilities of the Xbox One or the PS4 hardware and in fact is only slightly more capable than the Xbox 360 or PS3.
    The reality is that gamers buy the WiiU because it has great exclusive games, not because it's $300 and therefore cheaper than a cheap PC.
    What makes a good game? Does the hardware need to be at the same level as a current PC for the game to be fun or enjoyable? You basically answered that already with why people are buying the WiiU, it's the same reason why people would(or should) be buying a PS4 or Xbox One. I don't care about it performing as well as a current PC, I just want a console to have good games and for it to be easy to use. Of course every new console expects you to have it connected to the internet for game updates, firmware updates, and other PC type annoyances.

Even with that said, I'll admit that current sales of the WiiU are actually pretty lacking. It's not flying off the shelves, though sales for all current consoles are still slow.

I've played PC games for awhile, not really that much recently but all I cared about was if my PC met the minimum requirements necessary to play the game. I never cared that much about maxing out the settings whenever possible. I bought games that would run on the PC that I already owned, it wasn't the other way around for me. I'm more into older consoles so it's not about graphics. Since we're using recent computers anyway, I might as well be playing games on them too. No need to get a new console. If my PC was too old to play current games, and I had to choose between a new console or a new PC, with the prices being so high I might as well spend an extra $100 or $200 and just get a new PC. I would need a current PC just to get the most out of the internet, I can just buy a console years later and catch up on those games at some other point if they're exclusive. I'm actually just starting to get into Gamecube games, just in the last few years.

Plus with graphics, they've basically peaked. It's not like the difference between 8bit and 16bit, or 16bit and 32 or 64bit. It's better, but just slightly better. It's not like game developers are stuck with poor games just because of hardware limitations anymore.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Consumers don't make choices solely based on price,
    I think when choosing between expensive consoles price ultimately doesnt factor in much. People generally know what they want. Sales probably will encourage people to 'buy now' rather than later but wont convince someone to buy if they are not at least thinking about buying a console. I cant see someone buying a wiiu over a ps4 or xbone just because its cheaper.

I also think the 'value' you get out of a console depends on how much you use the damn thing. If you were to buy any system and play it on a regular basis for years then its justifiable. Many people drop $$$ on a system and a few games, play it for a few months then put it on CL or sell it to gamestop. Total waste, like dropping 4-600$ to play games for a few months is just a bad deal. Many people have this mentality that they have to get what is newest and 'best' and everything that came before is sub-par. I hate people like that.

Plus there is not much difference in hardware capability when you compare this generation of consoles to the previous one. The ps3 does so much that the ps2 cant even begin to handle, but the ps4 doesn't seem like a huge step up from the ps3. I feel like this generation of consoles were released way too soon. Even considering how long the wii and ps3 have been out, it just seems like the new consoles improved the graphics, and thats it. I cant justify spending 200-500$ if all im getting is just better graphics, especially when the release games are lackluster. And who cares if you can watch TV on the xbone.