Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That game you always looked at, but never bought/rented

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default That game you always looked at, but never bought/rented

Do you have a game that you looked at every time you went to a game store back in the day, but for whatever reason, always decided against buying? Do you regret not doing so?

For me, that was Armorines: Project S.W.A.R.M. for N64. It looked like a game that might freak me out too easily. I remember going to Blockbuster quite a few times, picking up the box and looking at the rear cover, but then always setting it down and getting something from the New Releases. Can't really say I regret it, though. Was lucky to end up with better Acclaim games.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Shantae. I have the digital copy fron the nintendo store and riskys revenge. I feel like a fool whenever I see how much ot goes for and how fun it is. I saw that game at all the stores in our local mall and never bought it. Years later I find out its rare and as a collector of rarities it peaked my interest. Its sad that it took some stupid price for me to look into a game. But oh well. I buy everything now and someday i will have the money for shantae and trip world. But until then I have tons of other games to play and collect.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Since the GBC seemed to get mostly kiddie licensed shovelware, I (like probably many people who even noticed such a late release) assumed it too had to be more kiddie shovelware and passed it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There's a few really depending on the system. Mighty Final Fight I never bothered with despite how crapped up the SNES game was until it was like the later N64 era and it's fantastic for one example. EVO would be another on SNES I only got at the end of 2012 yet it always looked cool with the unique design in the old NP mags and then the online drivel sucking up to the enix classic. I'm sure I could go on for quite a few titles from the pre-disc era stuff that I only later discovered in college or beyond.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I remember seeing a boxed Steel Battalion for the original Xbox. The nearby Gamestop had it priced at $99 and it sat there for a month or 2. I kept thinking I was going to get it, but never pulled the trigger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine was skitchin for the Genesis. I used to play skate or die on the NES but never really rented Skitchin for some reason. I still have yet to play it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) synbiosfan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    synbiosfan

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    I remember seeing a boxed Steel Battalion for the original Xbox. The nearby Gamestop had it priced at $99 and it sat there for a month or 2. I kept thinking I was going to get it, but never pulled the trigger.
    This and Custer's Revenge. I was around 16 when CR was released so it was something we BSed about at school. Sad but true

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    Mine was skitchin for the Genesis. I used to play skate or die on the NES but never really rented Skitchin for some reason. I still have yet to play it.
    I really enjoyed Skitchin and I'd say it's one of my favorites for the Genesis.
    Last edited by synbiosfan; 04-28-2014 at 09:51 PM.
    Diabetes Sucks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

D for PlayStation (Rental), and D2 for Dreamcast (Could have bought it for $8 complete. It sat on the shelf at GameStop and I looked at at a couple times a week for a month. I definitely regret not buying it at the time).
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Either on Genesis or SNES there was some game at Blockbuster, I cant remember the title... on the back it said the music was done by Primus so I really wanted to rent it. My mom wouldnt let me because it looked violent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    EVO would be another on SNES
    Thats probably the one game I rented the most. At least 4 times, me and my brother were obsessed with it.
    We has such a hard time with that mother yeti.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 04-29-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) profholt82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    profholt82

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    I actually just picked this one up a couple weeks ago. If you are a fan of the Road Rash series you'll probably like it. For me, its most interesting feature is maintaining your equipment after each race. Not necessarily upgrading (although you can do that too), but repairing pads, and replacing wheels. It adds a realism/RPG element to the game. Of course punching dudes out and watching them smack the road is fun too.

My never-rented but always looked at is Chakan on the Genesis. To this day I've never played it, but Ive always thought the box art was cool looking.

Watch my videos, will ya?! https://www.youtube.com/user/profholt82

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's EVO for ya, but really if you abuse the system since the bosses have really unavoidably cheap patterns is to just store up 'lives' worth of evo points and everytime you're about to die, just evolve or re-evolve something less useful like a neck or horn and boom, full health!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    That's EVO for ya, but really if you abuse the system since the bosses have really unavoidably cheap patterns is to just store up 'lives' worth of evo points and everytime you're about to die, just evolve or re-evolve something less useful like a neck or horn and boom, full health!
    Yeah you can do that. Except for a few of the later bosses the game is actually quite easy. Its a very mellow game. Its always been a favorite of mine because it has coelacanth fish in it. So cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

True enough about the fossil fish. I just love all the combinations and the goofy warping of evolution history as we think we know it into some really weird shit, and in the end you can even have merpeople instead of humans or other final evolutions too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really? I'm gonna pick it up and finally play skitchin. I love road rash and punchin dudes lol.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

SKITCHIN'. IT'S *ITCHIN'! (never played it myself, but it's hard to forget an ad like that. Especially if you were like 10 at the time. )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    SKITCHIN'. IT'S *ITCHIN'! (never played it myself, but it's hard to forget an ad like that. Especially if you were like 10 at the time. )
    Nailed it!!! I was like what? They can say that on a game?

Press Select to Start Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mortal Kombat, I would see the first three entries in the series everywhere growing up (arcades, SNES or Genesis carts etc) and would frequently play the console releases at friends houses and sometimes in arcades. I'd see the various games at rental spots but I never once rented or ended up purchasing any games in the MK series till later.

I guess the only (and not really that interesting) reason is that for the time period of formidable years growing up when I would've been most inclined to purchase new-at-retail Mortal Kombat one through three I ended up knowing somebody that had it or somehow knew some way to access it, and although I played the shit out of MK when given the opportunity, the opportunity itself was so frequent that I got Mario RPG instead I think, or some other game in another genre.
    Last edited by wayultratech; 04-29-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Either Dino Crisis 1 or 2. I forget. It happened at least two times and one time I believe I got the awful PS1 version of James Bond The World Is Not Enough (Seriously, no multiplayer at all?!!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Goldeneye (N64)

I remember pouring over screenshots of this in Gamefan magazine, and being wowed by pics of a muzzle flash on a gun, and some big rocket in a silo. Somehow, I never rented it and haven't played it to this day (though I watched friends play it awhile back). What spy game did I buy (without renting, mind you) instead? Effing Mission: Impossible. I made a lot of dumb decisions like that when I was a teenager. I'd rent Mega Man X 4, but then buy X 5 without renting. Bad. Rent Ace Combat 2, buy 3. Ugh! Rent Banjo Kazooie, buy Yoshi's Story... you get the idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Virtual Hydlide for the Sega Saturn. I was enamored by the cover of that game when I saw it at Media Play for a very long time, but could never justify dropping the $30 they wanted for it when I was back in high school.