Thread: Dont forget this when you get MarioKart 8!

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Default Dont forget this when you get MarioKart 8!

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/det...B0Lf3N9Jb2VtRt

get yo self a free game, we all got time for dat!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not bad, but I doubt I'll be getting it and I own 2 of the games and the other two aren't any good. (You guess which two.)

Nintendo clearly is desperate to get people to get more stuff even if it costs them a freebie to do it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Not bad, but I doubt I'll be getting it and I own 2 of the games and the other two aren't any good. (You guess which two.)

Nintendo clearly is desperate to get people to get more stuff even if it costs them a freebie to do it.
    I'll guess which two:

Wii Party U (sounds stupid)

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (already have the game on GameCube and have for years. Don't need a copy & paste in HD)

At least Pikmin 3 and New Super Mario Bros. U are legit sequels to their ongoing series.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I'll guess which two:

Wii Party U (sounds stupid)

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (already have the game on GameCube and have for years. Don't need a copy & paste in HD)

At least Pikmin 3 and New Super Mario Bros. U are legit sequels to their ongoing series.
    Damn...thats a fucking deal, especially if you pick up a Nintendo refurbed wii u for 200.

I'm picking up a ps4 next month for watchdogs, but if I can spare it, I might pick up a wii u and mario kart just to cash in on this deal.

The again if I keep waiting I can pick up all these games and more for dirt cheap if I wait another year instead, decisions, decisions.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Actually you got it half right, Pikmin 3 isn't all that good. The game isn't even fully playable unless you buy the Wii mote and nunchuk because certain functions like camera movement can't be done on the tablet for some dumb reason. They took some liberties with the game downgrading a cool idea or two Pikmin 2 had. I learned this from another owner, so I didn't even bother firing up the game and just sold it off unsealed but new. Zelda maybe an HD game with a few upgrades, but it's the last fantastic Zelda title made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

wii party is a lot of fun with big groups and especially when theres booze involved but we already have wii party u.
    I've never been a big fan of the really cartoony 3d Zelda games and I had major issues with some of the game mechanics when I tried windwaker on gamecube but I hear they fixed a lot of the problems it had (long boat rides any one?)
    I've never played pikmin but I don't think its my kind of game...

already own Mario bros. not sure what I should get

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Zelda fixed the entire boating and wind problem of the games open seas. Once to the Dragonfall Isle town, the auction house is where you need to be. After a little(or right away if lucky) a Swift Sail shows up. Winning this allows your boat to roll along like 2x-3x the max speed of the standard and it always moves the wind in the direction you want to go so you don't have to deal with changing the wind or going fast/slow tacking along the seas to keep the wind where you need it. The tingle weirdo you deal with less as they took some of those maps out of the game and made the triforce bits direct pickups making it take notably less time. With those things among some other less important the game flows a LOT faster and doesn't keep annoying or boring trying to get places or get things you need.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

There's a lot of little stuff they've done besides just a copy & paste in HD that makes the game a lot more playable in the WiiU version than before. Between the swift sail and the way you can hold a lot more pictures and have the guy carve more figurines at a time, right there you're saving hours of hassle.

Now if you never planned to play the game again, fine, don't play it again, but if you do, the HD version is the way to go, unless you're really holding a hard on for the Tingle Tuner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool, I'll pick up Pikmin 3 considering I got the rest. Windwaker isn't doing it for me though. Hope Pikmin is decent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Also you do know there is a $330 Wii U Mario Kart 8 bundle for those who don't yet have the system? It comes with the steering wheel and Wiimotes too. I don't want the bundle though. I want to get the New Super Mario Bros. U / New Super Luigi U 2 in 1 bundle but I'm worried if I don't get it soon enough it won't be available brand new for $300. The price for a new one might go up online due to Nintendo collectors and the version not being produced anymore. That's assuming the Mario Kart 8 bundle totally replaces it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Now if you never planned to play the game again, fine, don't play it again, but if you do, the HD version is the way to go
    While an excellent remastering, there's still something to be said for the original thanks to the drastic lighting changes on the Wii U that gives it a significantly different appearance.

It's probably the one game in my collection where despite owning the remastered HD version, I could still see revisiting it again in original form someday (Where as many another game in my collection like Ico, I probably never will).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-31-2014 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Also you do know there is a $330 Wii U Mario Kart 8 bundle for those who don't yet have the system? It comes with the steering wheel and Wiimotes too. I don't want the bundle though. I want to get the New Super Mario Bros. U / New Super Luigi U 2 in 1 bundle but I'm worried if I don't get it soon enough it won't be available brand new for $300. The price for a new one might go up online due to Nintendo collectors and the version not being produced anymore. That's assuming the Mario Kart 8 bundle totally replaces it.
    that's the version I got, problem when you get bundles like that is you cant redeem the Nintendo club points for the games too, just the system.
    my guess is that will happen the same way with the extra games too so I imagine get the new SMBU bundle and get Mario kart 8 separately and then you'll have 4 games off the bat for really only the cost of one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Four games is a great start. The NSMBU/LuigiU are two games on an actual disc (shock!) unique to the system (like SMAS+World for SNES) and Mario Kart 8 would be a third then you take a fourth. Sure one of them is digital so choose wisely, but the value is there.

I really am stunned at how nicely NSMBU and Luigi have sold yet so many blow off that one WiiU package as it's nuts. I guess since Nintendo never advertises it, and no one of import in actual press postings don't either people don't understand how damn big of a deal that is. $300 system, $90 in free games in the box, it's basic subtraction into a hell of a deal.

Throw MK8 there for another $60, you're still $30 under the price of a WiiU(old school system price, and $80 for th eoriginal deluxe) and you get that fourth game too at no cost. The math is totally there and makes the system cost just $210 which is stupid cheap for a new hardware system IF you intended to buy those 2 mario games anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Bumping for release date

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I ended up buying the Mario/Luigi bundle because I wanted to make sure I got one before it disappeared. Looking at Wikipedia's retail release list, I can actually pick out 25 games I'm interested in playing that already came out by looking at name alone. That's a whole quarter of the library so far. And all of the multiplatform titles I don't even have yet on last gen systems so it's all the reason to get those games for my new system instead. The system is worthwhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Sweet. Did you get kart yet?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I got Mario Kart 8 on release day and decided to go with Zelda as the free download. I gotta say that getting my free download was a pain in the ass because club nintendo was experiencing some technical difficulties (not sure if they've been resolved yet). If you get messages saying that your code for MK8 has already been used or that you've already redeemed your free game, don't worry, because I got both of those messages.

I half thought of returning my mario kart for a new code when I was getting these messages for a new one, to enter onto my other "family" account if I had gotten screwed out of the free game. It made me wonder if I did return my game and exchanged it for a replacement, then entered the new code on my 2nd family account, if I would get a 2nd free game to choose from. I wouldn't do it, only because I just feel its not the right thing to do, but it made me curious if that would acctually work.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We indeed do have time for that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Sweet. Did you get kart yet?
    No I don't want to buy Wii U games any faster than I can play through them. So basically not till after Mario and Luigi are finished.