Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Composite Cables - Original SNES Vs Snes Mini

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Composite Cables - Original SNES Vs Snes Mini

Does the SNES mini have a better picture (more crisp and clear) then the original SNES using composite cables?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Technically yes it does using the basic RCA cable. The thing is the SNES does have various revisions on the old style unit, and the 1CHIP technically looks equal if not better than the mini system, but it still on a few games can display this faint bar up the middle of the screen (see online for pic/video of it on the FF3 title screen.) Previous models and the ghetto cheapo parts one after 1CHIP displays that bar to a greater degree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Technically yes it does using the basic RCA cable. The thing is the SNES does have various revisions on the old style unit, and the 1CHIP technically looks equal if not better than the mini system, but it still on a few games can display this faint bar up the middle of the screen (see online for pic/video of it on the FF3 title screen.) Previous models and the ghetto cheapo parts one after 1CHIP displays that bar to a greater degree.
    Is there any way to tell if you have the 1CHIP in a old style SNES?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well not entirely without opening it up. Looking down the cartridge slot though increases your chances because around the actual slot for the games you can see a little bit into the system and the bracket I believe on a 1CHIP(and later) is black plastic. There are other ways, google it, as I think something about the odd little holes cut into the bottom of the machine can be a tell too. If you open it, the thing straight up says 1CHIP on the inside.

I do know one dead giveaway if the owner didn't play a mix and match game to make a set -- Donkey Kong Set's are all 1CHIPs, which is what I've got.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's my understanding that the SNES mini won't support s-video. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this was the reason I got rid of it and kept the original model.
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With a simple mod you can restore s-video and rgb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I sent a SNES mini away for a RGB mod, and I hope to get it back soon. Supposedly, the SNES mini has the best video output of any of the versions released, but you have to mod it internally to access the RGB signal.

As good as a regular SNES already looks, I kinda wonder how it could even look better, but it's worth the minor expense to try it out..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Supposedly, the SNES mini has the best video output of any of the versions released
    Don't think so - that's probably the 1-CHIP SNES. Different reports say different things, though: Some people report more buzzing on a mini than another system, etc.

The RGB encoder might be newer here than in the older versions.

Probably the most important thing is not the system itself, but the cables you use. Lots of cables have been sold that aren't adequately shielded, and grounding the cables apparently also helps too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 1-CHIP SNES which includes the mini use the same video encoder S-RGB,funny enough the same encoder is found on the french n64

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a good guide to check without opening up the system. I have a 1CHIP-03 and I loves it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...nc&output=html (neglected to actually add this link earlier)

Technically you could also probably weigh it since the 1CHIP motherboard is tiny. You'd need a pretty accurate scale though I think.

FWIW the main difference between 1CHIP and all of the others is that the image doesn't have what some consider a filter on it. The other chipset's PPUs seem to blend the pixels together a little bit. I've only really messed with them via RGB though, so composite might not be as noticeable.
    Last edited by Einzelherz; 05-04-2014 at 08:09 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there a way to restore Component (NOT Composite nor RGB, tough Component is 2nd to next in quality with RGB) to a SNES mini!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Gatucaman View Post
    Is there a way to restore Component (NOT Composite nor RGB, tough Component is 2nd to next in quality with RGB) to a SNES mini!?
    No. It was something of a design quirk in early SNES boards.
    Lum fan.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

wait some of the snes's out there supported component?
    how do you tell which ones do, sounds like an interesting mod

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Einzelherz View Post
    This is a good guide to check without opening up the system. I have a 1CHIP-03 and I loves it.

Technically you could also probably weigh it since the 1CHIP motherboard is tiny. You'd need a pretty accurate scale though I think.

FWIW the main difference between 1CHIP and all of the others is that the image doesn't have what some consider a filter on it. The other chipset's PPUs seem to blend the pixels together a little bit. I've only really messed with them via RGB though, so composite might not be as noticeable.
    Does your SNES serial number start with UN3? I read somewhere on the net that the SNES's with the 1CHIP start with UN3 on the serial number.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

one of the problems of converting RGB to component, is that sometimes the screen will be "off" to the right or left, and unless your monitor has controls that can adjust that, you can kinda be screwed. I have a Kramer FC-14 RGB to Component transcoder, and while it does a good job overall, sometimes the image will be slight off to one side or the other, and it can be kinda irritating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That UN3 is a strong possibility, mine has that. I also double checked just now the cart slot and to the sides set flush to the base inside it has black plastic to each side holding the pin slot in place, older systems were metal I think (or another color.)

Not the best, blow up the images and stare hard, you can see the 1CHIP has the best sharpness, contrast and brightness.
    http://retrorgb.com/snesversioncompare.html also go here for great comparison, roll mouse over images http://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/75

Read the third post here in this thread for a beautiful write up on why the 1CHIP is the best version too.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...-SNES-revision
    The guy is a bit of a video snob being a hardware modder, he talks up the 1CHIP then rips into it like the others as he's into RGB/svideo modding them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    That UN3 is a strong possibility, mine has that. I also double checked just now the cart slot and to the sides set flush to the base inside it has black plastic to each side holding the pin slot in place, older systems were metal I think (or another color.)

Not the best, blow up the images and stare hard, you can see the 1CHIP has the best sharpness, contrast and brightness.
    http://retrorgb.com/snesversioncompare.html also go here for great comparison, roll mouse over images http://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/75

Read the third post here in this thread for a beautiful write up on why the 1CHIP is the best version too.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...-SNES-revision
    The guy is a bit of a video snob being a hardware modder, he talks up the 1CHIP then rips into it like the others as he's into RGB/svideo modding them.
    But if I was going to just use composite cables and not RGB do you think it would still be worth it to search for a 1CHIP SNES?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
    But if I was going to just use composite cables and not RGB do you think it would still be worth it to search for a 1CHIP SNES?
    If you just want composite I don't think getting a 1chip would be worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Insert Coin (Level 0) profholt82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    profholt82

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
    Yeah, if you just want to use composite, go with the mini. The beauty of the original model is that is has native s-video, and at least one revision is known to have native component. But if that level of picture clarity isn't that important to you, I'd just go with the mini for its composite. Technically the 1 chip might provide slightly better composite picture, but the difference would be negligible. If you go with a mini, you are guaranteed quality composite picture that is superior to the vast majority of model 1s.

Watch my videos, will ya?! https://www.youtube.com/user/profholt82

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sticking with composite the 1CHIP and the Mini are basically equals. The mini perhaps edges it out barely, if your system happens to get that very fair vertical line up the center with the right 'shade' of black used by a game (FF3 title and also Super Metroid first landing on the planet background shows it.) They visually work equally as nice so it comes down to your preference of cosmetic system body, and if you ever think you may want to use s-video which the mini can't do without modding.