Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a PSP for $8, need quality title suggestions!!

Press Select to Start Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Found a PSP for $8, need quality title suggestions!!

Hey there, so I found and purchased a PSP (w/ no battery, battery cover or charger) at Goodwill for $7.99.

I've never really played the system that much and was kinda curious, so I bought it and then went to the local game shop to get a charger and couple games. $27 more for charger and 2 games, and then I plugged it in....

....And it works great (gotta get battery and bat cover soon though). I ended up getting Lumines and Star Ocean Second Evolution.

So basically I stumbled into owning a PSP and am looking for some game suggestions. I mostly like oldschool platformers and JRPGs, Shmups and horror games.

Got any suggestions?

heres my getlist so far:

MGS Peace Walker
    Lunar Silver Star Harmony
    Dracula X Chronicles
    Neo Geo Heroes Ultimate Shooting

What am I missing? What are some fun unique titles?
    Last edited by wayultratech; 05-02-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd kind of like to take a swing at

Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core
    Final Fantasy Dissidia
    Prinny
    The various Persona titles
    Maverick Hunter X
    Mega Man Powered Up
    Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
    Patapon
    Power Stone Collection
    Capcom Puzzle World

Maybe Little Big Planet, but I heard that wasn't so good. Or Lemmings, perhaps.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

what model PSP is it?

Here's what i suggest:

Get a fairly large memory stick (at least 4GB), find out what firmware it has and then soft mod it with custom firmware. With custom firmware you can just download PSP games from the internet (they're readily available many places) and use that to try out any game you're interested in buying.

Now I'm not saying you should pirate and not buy PSP games, but instead treat your downloads as demos and if you like the game enough, go out and buy it. Most PSP games are very affordable with the exception of the late release RPGs.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lucky man. I've been on the hunt for a cheap PSP for ages. Never found one without a damaged screen.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

King of Fighters Orochi Saga
    Gradius Collection
    Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions!! its a PSP-1001 model, the fat kind apparently. The screen has been great so far, and im hyped to see the pricing is generally fairly tame for PSP titles. The custom firmware approach sounds great, I will have to grab a mem stick with a tad beefier capacity as the only compatible one I had lying around was as measly as they come (512mb)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Terminusvitae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Aoif3edieqwdf

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is the game the original FFT should have been. Of course, that's just one man's opinion.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wayultratech View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions!! its a PSP-1001 model, the fat kind apparently. The screen has been great so far, and im hyped to see the pricing is generally fairly tame for PSP titles. The custom firmware approach sounds great, I will have to grab a mem stick with a tad beefier capacity as the only compatible one I had lying around was as measly as they come (512mb)
    I love the PSP, but the original fat 1001 had a horrible D-pad. I literally couldn't play games like Gradius and Ultimate Ghouls N' Ghosts on it. I found a complete, boxed God of War PSP system last year for like 20 bucks or something at a thrift store (with 2 4GB memory cards) which was an amazing find I think, and the D-pad is SO much better. I'll never part with my original fat one (because it was a gift), but it's totally worth it to upgrade IMO if you can find another model on the cheap. The PSP is an AMAZING system to collect for now, because the software is EVERYWHERE and in my experience it's always dirt cheap.

I have quite a few PSP games but honestly I've only had the time to play a small % of them, and they're mostly compilations. Some of my favorites are:

Bomberman
    CAPCOM Collection (Reloaded, Remixed)
    CAPCOM Puzzle World
    Gradius Collection
    Gunpey
    Lumines, Lumines II
    Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
    Taito Legends Power-Up
    Ultimate Ghouls N Ghosts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by wayultratech View Post
    To think 32mb cards were once common on PSP. 32gb is the largest official size, despite firmware support for larger.
    Not that they would've sold well considering Sony's prices...
    Lum fan.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I got one of these: http://www.dx.com/p/dual-micro-sd-tf...8#.U2SjIZ3n-Uk
    well worth it

I just used a pair of micro sd's I had lying around, a 2 and a 4 gig. you have to format it as one unit so if you take one of the cards out or swap one for another, even if its the same size, it'll be an incomplete volume and make you reformat. something to keep in mind so you don't lose any info or game saves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I got one of these: http://www.dx.com/p/dual-micro-sd-tf...8#.U2SjIZ3n-Uk
    well worth it

I just used a pair of micro sd's I had lying around, a 2 and a 4 gig. you have to format it as one unit so if you take one of the cards out or swap one for another, even if its the same size, it'll be an incomplete volume and make you reformat. something to keep in mind so you don't lose any info or game saves
    Looks pretty nice, too bad I haven't been using PSP much. 128 gig micro sd's recently hit the market for extremists.
    Last edited by theclaw; 05-03-2014 at 03:59 AM.
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Tales of Eternia seems like a good rpg, i have Tales of Destiny II for the PSX which is the same game, just ported.
    Another one which looked decent was Trails in the Sky.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

What I do for PSP games is purchase the games and use CFW to run them. The worst thing about the PSP is the UMD drive. I had two PSPs that the UMD drive died. I sold my fat, but right now I have a 2000 with UMD drive that doesn't work, a new 3000, and a new Go. So go to Wololo.net and click PSP Custom Firwmare for a walkthrough on how to get your PSP working. It's super easy now days. Not only can you play Vita games but a lot of emulators run very well. SNES runs well for a lot of games, but some games run poorly.

Anyways Vita games you should purchase.

Breath of Fire 3(PAL import/English)
    Tales of Eternia(PAL import/English)
    Gurumin
    Gundam Battle Universe(JP or Asian import/Japanese, but there's little text. Around 200 missions, 100+ different mobile suits.)
    Pursuit Force 1 and 2
    Brave Story
    Crimson Gem Saga
    Crisis Core Final Fantasy
    Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
    Half Minute Hero
    Phantasy Star Portable 2
    Prinny 1 and 2
    Space Invaders Extreme
    Star Ocean 1 and 2
    Test Drive Unlimited
    Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky
    Ys 1 and 2, Oath, and 7
    Yggdra Union
    What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord 2(includes the first game as long as you put a code in so it's two games. It's a puzzle game that looks good, this is the only one on the list I havne't played though.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

From memory, I used to have a PSP and it was a blast until piracy killed off the releases.
    MGS Peacewalker
    Patapon 1 and 2(2 has a physical release)
    Gurumin
    FF7 Crisis Core
    Castlevania DracX(has SOTN on it too)
    Capcom Arcade packages (2)
    SNK arcade packages by franchise (many)
    Ultimate GHosts n Goblins
    Mega Man Powered Up
    Tales of Eternia (I actually has this, fantastic game)
    Ys games (various, all solid)
    Lumines
    Popolocrois
    FF 1, 2, and Dissidia (never touched the others, psp was gone)
    Lunar
    Half Minute Hero

I know I forgot stuff, but that's more than enough solid entertainment to last for months or years depending how hard you hit it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wipeout Pure.

That is the game right there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah after having the PSP for a few days I definitely hear what you're saying regarding the d-pad, although everything is still playable for me as of now but that may change once I grab some shmups.

As far as the custom firmware approach, are the steps basically to find a custom firmware dowload online that will allow the booting of roms/disc images and that will also run emulation (specific to PSP?.. or can they be an emulator written for PC/Mac??) and then load the firmware onto the mem stick and pop it into the PSP?

I am interested in this approach and would love more info (although I know posting rom links or anything is a sensitive issue and I am not asking for that, just wanted clarification on the steps and whats needed to soft mod a PSP) as the UMD drive doesnt close all the way and has thus interrupted the gameplay already (prob why it was $8 bucks) and itd be great to have an option if my UMD drive gets frazzled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the rad suggestions, yeah Tanooki you got the list right there, so many good games!! Lumines is super addictive!! Lunar looks amazing, however I opted to purchase Star Ocean Second Evolution first as I had a SO Second Story PS1 strat guide lying around and I never can resist playing an RPG if I have the accompanying guide book (although its the port so theres some differences). I find it distracting kinda to dive into too many RPGs at once, all the lore gets torn and blended up like a superfood smoothie!!

And thank you KupoMogli for the link and info as well as game suggestion list!! I am super hyped to find out how versatile the PSP is, and I never noticed til now as I was distracted by GBC and GBA stuff for so long!!!!
    Last edited by wayultratech; 05-04-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

^

Installing CFW is easier than ever. Hook your USB to your PC and follow the instructions. PSP games go into the iso folder, emulators, PSX eboots, app eboots, or homebrew eboots go into the Game folder. Use the same site to find emulators for various systems, programs to rip and create eboot files from PSX games, programs to use your PSP and whatever game is in it to create an iso of that game, programs to compress iso files into cso files to save room, etc.

http://wololo.net/cfw4dummies/
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats so awesome!!

Thanks Kupo, you da man!!!!

Im gonna dive into that stuff ASAP. Damn the PSP is versatile!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) FlyingSpacePenguin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gurumin has always been my personal favorite on the PSP, solid little action game with light RPG elements and has a charming (if overly cutesy) aesthetic to it. The story is very basic but I found the gameplay fun enough to keep me interested, fighting your way through dungeons with a giant drill is lots of fun.

Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero? is a 2D platformer that is also excellent, has a very retro feel to it with it's gameplay and high difficulty, and also has that signature Disgaea style of humor. Speaking of, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness is worthwhile if you haven't played it on the PS2 and enjoy strategy JRPGs. Just be prepared for some pretty heavy grinding at points.

Finally, I also recommend Half-Minute Hero, an incredibly unique and humorous parody of JRPGs in which you must finish each level in 30 seconds, requiring you to quickly grind, rush your way from town to town, buy equipment and kill the evil overlord in that short span of time. It's not really a JRPG as much as it is an action game, but the humor will appeal more to those who have played several JRPGs. Also has some shmup levels in it too. Has a surprising amount of content for a game centered around lightning quick levels too. If you don't like time limits however that might kill the game for you.