Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Default At Games Colecovision, Intellivision, 2600 Flashbacks Pre-order

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=35290526

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=35350896

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=35291066

$39.99 (I assume that's the full price), and will come out on October 1. CV/INTV have 60 built in games, and overlays and look fantastic. The downside is the lack of an SD card-type interface, though the Atari 2600 At Games console didn't either. I've been told this is by request of the license holder. There will be a new 2600 Flashback, number 5. Sticks are wireless, and the bright spot is that the game library is now up to 100, the most ever. All three are composite video only.
    Last edited by Greg2600; 05-03-2014 at 09:29 AM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=35291136

Also a new Genesis flashback, this time in Model 2 flavor.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How many of these can they really expect to sell..? I would have thought anyone who wanted an Atari Flashback would have one by now, and the fans of the Intellivision and Colecovision are surely dwindling?

Clicking through reveals that the actual Colecovision console is a much sleeker design than what is pictured on the box, which is good, as I can't imagine that old behemoth as making much sense from either a sales or manufacturing position. But weren't the Intellivision's controllers always resoundingly unpopular?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    How many of these can they really expect to sell..? I would have thought anyone who wanted an Atari Flashback would have one by now, and the fans of the Intellivision and Colecovision are surely dwindling?

Clicking through reveals that the actual Colecovision console is a much sleeker design than what is pictured on the box, which is good, as I can't imagine that old behemoth as making much sense from either a sales or manufacturing position. But weren't the Intellivision's controllers always resoundingly unpopular?
    Well, I can only say, as someone who has both an Intellivision II and ColecoVision, that I'm very excited about these flashbacks -the controllers being part of the reason. The Flashback 2, as you may recall, has wired controllers that were compatible with original Atari hardware, and were quite excellent apart from the benefit of not being 30+ years old. From what I hear, the controllers on the Intellivision Flashback are also detachable -which means, in all probability, you can use the detachable controllers from the Intellivison II on the Flashback, and much more appealingly, the Flashback controllers on the Intellivision II. I presume this may be the case with the ColecoVision as well. Having completely new controllers that can be used on the original console hardware almost makes these Flashback devices worth the price all on their own.

Yes, those controller styles were far from ideal, but they are so part and parcel of the experience of these machines that it would have been disappointing if they didn't try and replicate them. Having modern microswitches would be a great improvement to them all on its own even without messing with the basic design.

I'm really surprised and delighted by the inclusion of those arcade ports on the Coleco. Given how much of the Coleco library is filled with arcade ports, it probably wouldn't have been worth doing without those arcade titles included on the Flashback.

As with the Atari Flashback, part of the reason these Flashback's are appealing is that the built in composite video is cleaner than what I've been able to get with video mods on the original system (this is most especially the case with the Intellivision, which simply does not mod well to composite video).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm definitely buying the Colecovision one. I've been wanting the console for some time, but they're few and far between where I live and insanely priced online. This will be a nice holdover until I can find a real console, and I'll have new controllers to boot!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Stringfellow78

I might need to get the colecovision one just for the controllers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Too bad it won't have the classic Colecovision scent, but then modern technology can only go so far.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Definitely Colecovision version for me. Time to slowly save up my pennies!
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Oh you'd be surprised. I couldn't keep the Atari Flashback 4's in stock last holiday season and I thought we had pretty good replenishment. There was always demand and I had someone come in looking for one almost every day. Even after I explained to many people the shortcomings of what they were getting for $50 (granted, the current hardware revision isn't bad at all) compared to what they could pick up on craigslist at the time, they still wanted it.

That Genesis clone on the other hand, is complete trash and I had one being sent back as defective almost every day. The "new" version shown here looks like it just has more games on it but is the same crappy hardware. Best AtGames Genesis clone was that Sonic shaped one with the SD card slot and faux Wii remotes as it could be found for $10 at Walgreens and played most of the Genesis library pretty damn well for what it was. I still take mine with me when I'm going to be away from home.

That said, if the performance is decent, I really - really - really want that baby plug and play Colecovision. I miss playing Colecovision games but I had a long string of all my CV hardware becoming extremely problematic, tempermental, and eventually dying a couple years ago. I got tired of having to nurse and repair the hardware so much I decided to just sell off what I had left and get out.

The pictures on the product page are probably just renderings but it looks like the stick shafts are a little shorter, which would make using them as big thumbsticks (how I play CV games anyway) all the easier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why does At Games only bother to stick a cartridge port on their Genesis system? I have no intention of buying their other Flashbacks until a port is added. Also, the lack of sd card support is also disappointing, to say the least.
    Last edited by treismac; 05-03-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That Coleco machine looks fun. Never had one, but used to love in the 90s playing the hell out of the games using an early emulator as it was just on that fringe of the NES era where the stuff still was pretty quality stuff.

That Genesis one though can suck a dick unless that new revision has their awful firecore emulator allowing SAVING OF GAMES. What the hell is wrong with them excluding that, especially on their version that used REAL game carts to not allow a real game to use it's real save chips and batteries to store saves. Whoever approved that needed to be drug out back and shot now allowing saving which is equally awful on that handheld with Mega Man Wily Wars since that uses a battery and not the old password method on the NES/SNES. D U M B

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Why does At Games only bother to stick a cartridge port on their Genesis system? I have no intention of buying their other Flashbacks until a port is added. Also, the lack of sd card support is also disappointing, to say the least.
    Adding a cart port to the Atari, INTV, CV systems will raise the cost and potential failure liability. Beyond that, I heard over at AA that AtGames could change their mind on an SD slot for the "2015" edition of these, if the sales are good. Again, it's more cost, and their margin is probably not terrific to begin with. The other issue is that the license holders of the Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision brands may not want the specter of piracy hanging over their heads.

I also hope that they supply overlays for all the games they are including, but probably won't. I think many collectors will buy these because they look pretty darn cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I also hope that they supply overlays for all the games they are including, but probably won't.
    Well, it does say "limited edition overlays" right there on the box.

I guess all three of these will probably use ARM CPUs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If that's what they use on their Atari Flashbacks, it's a safe bet.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll pick up one of those Colecovision units when they come out. I had high hopes for a minute until I realized they were just using the image of the original unit and not reproducing it. Who even owns the rights to Colecovision anymore?
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Well, it does say "limited edition overlays" right there on the box.

I guess all three of these will probably use ARM CPUs?
    I did confirm with someone in the know that "they also both include limited edition overlays for all of the games, even those that didn't originally have them." So that's good. The chip is "custom" with their own software emulation layer, he didn't know the exact type. It's not the Genesis on a Chip that they use for the Genesis clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    I'll pick up one of those Colecovision units when they come out. I had high hopes for a minute until I realized they were just using the image of the original unit and not reproducing it. Who even owns the rights to Colecovision anymore?
    A holding company called River West Brands has owned it for many years. They have been good to the community though, they allowed OpCode Games to brand his Super Game Module officially. He had been talking about a CV II as well for quite awhile.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I kind of want that Intellivision one super bad for nostalgia reasons, but only if it includes most of the games I had as a kid. I know I could just emulate (and I have) but this has the freaking proper controllers. Odd as they are, it's weird playing intv games any other way.

I sort of want the Colecovision one too, because I never had one or ever got to play one at a friend's house (they all had Atari if anything in that era).

Atari, meh, I'm fine emulating that. Maybe if they came out with a 5200 one (with controllers that don't break by looking at them funny).

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Supposedly there will be "surprises" in terms of the games they licensed. Obviously I would hope that some of the Imagic and Activision games are included on both, though they've been absent from the Atari's for awhile now. I've read that AtGames could expand into Amiga, C64, and Atari 8-bit in the future. But yes, a replaceable 5200 controller that self centers would be a God send! Ha ha ha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If they ever touch the Atari 8 bit line, I'm sure that they will include a pair of their CX-40 clones.

Would be nice to see a Imagic/Activision themed Flashback. With these being emulation based, they could provide a range of content across multiple platforms including the 2600, Intellivision, and Colecovision. And if they do ever emulate the C64 and Atari 8 bits, they could also include content from those lines on the same package.

Would be neat to see every major version of River Raid on the same Flashback. And while some versions are pretty close to each other, there's also some neat variations with both Activision and Imagic multiplatform releases.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-04-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I saw the Genesis console in a Hastings Entertainment today, a good amount of classics mixed in with a bunch of weird generic games slapped together by the manufacturer. Those looked like the oddball games that Famiclones tend to have when they don't have legitimately pirated games in them.

I'm really excited for the Intellivision Flashback, but I'd like to know what games are on it. The same thing with the Colecovision, especially considering most of that machine's top games were licenses from arcade companies that are (mostly) out of business now. I'm hoping that the extra games to fill out the Colecovision's lineup won't be the same generic titles that are also on the Genesis one.