Thread: Help in finding a power supply for my SNES

Insert Coin (Level 0) NashMuhandes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help in finding a power supply for my SNES

Hi there, it's my first post here. I found this forum after several hours of Googling my situation. I also ran a few searches on this forum to see if my topic was covered before posting, but I couldn't find anything, so I decided to make this post.

Anyway, I am in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, and our voltage is 240v 50 Hz. I have spent hours searching all over eBay trying to find an adapter that works for my country but I could only find American adapters.

My SNES, however, is a US SNES model. Here are some details from the sticker underneath...

Model SNS-001
    Rating DC10v 850mA
    Use with AC adapter NO. SNS-002 only

I am assuming that I need to find a SNES adapter that has an input of 230/240v. Does anyone know where I may locate such a thing? I've been up for hours searching all over the internet but nothing useful is coming up...

As an added note; back in the 90's, I owned a similar SNES model (the American one; it was rectangular) and it had proper adapters so I know for a fact that the machine can be played in my country... the machines that were distributed here shipped with a suitable power adapter. But that was in the 90's, today it is next to impossible to find it locally.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

what the wall outlet look like there? is it European style?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the best bet would be to get a US SNES power supply, and power step down transformer thing to convert from your local to 240V to the US 120/110V.

I only say this because US SNES has a funky power adapter plug that is hard to find a similar match to. If you had a Super Fami it would be much easier because of the generic barrel jack on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the same problem, I live in Sweden and have an NTSC SNES, the power supply only accepted 110V and we run on 220V in our outlets.
    So what i did do was, I clipped off the the cable on the original power supply and soldered it to one of those switchable "universal power supply" and it has worked without a problem.

I just set the psu to 9v and it runs fine.

The problem is (what I am aware of) that there isn't any original 220V adpater that's going to fit an US SNES since the plug on those are not the same as in the PAL snes that runs on 220v, not even the german and swedish snes can share the same adapter since they don't have the same type of plug.

Oh and the PAL snes (here in sweden at least) power supplies, outputs in AC instead of DC.
    Last edited by Ozito; 05-19-2014 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Another idea would be to mount another power connector for something you already have. A lot of people outright replace the SNES connector with a barrel connector that works with the Genesis.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for these ideas... I'll see what I can come up with.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does the power connector look like this one?
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nsole-Back.jpg

Perhaps a workaround would be to take a piece of copper/aluminium tube of +- 5cm with just the right diameter to fit around the middle of the SNES its connector, and make a male connector from it.
    It looks like there's a notch around the middle, so you'll have to cut a groove in the tube on one side so it'll slide on.

The pin in the middle can be created by taking a 1W - 2W resistor, or another resistor which has the right outer diameter to fit inside of the copper/aluminium tube, and the right pin diameter so that it slides in (and makes contact with) the inside of the SNES its connector. You could, eventually, bend it in a slight zig-zag to enhance its connection if it doesn't fit perfectly.
    Take a resistor with a low value; 0,22 Ohm for example. Or, even better if available, a lower value. That way it virtually looks like a straight wire with 'no' resistance.

Insert one pin of the resistor in the SNES its power connector to see how it fits. Take the resistor out, and cut the pin of the resistor at the SNES side to the needed length.
    Then shove the copper/aluminium tube over the SNES connector, apply glue/kit to the resistor and shove the resistor into the tube.
    Then carefully take the tube (with the resistor in it) out and let the glue/kit harden. You should now have a connector.

Using a multimeter in resistance setting, determine whether the middle pin or the outer tube has to be connected to the - of the power supply.
    Do this by connecting one probe of the multimeter to the outer part of the RF connector, and connecting the other probe to either the middle pin (resistor) or the outer tube of the connector you just made.
    The one which reads (close to) 0 Ohms resistance, has to be the -. The other should read (close to) infinte resistance.

Then just find a 10V DC 850mA power adapter (stabilised!) and solder its leads to the connector. Or build a power supply yourself. Or take a power supply which delivers at least 13V DC (loaded) at 1A and connect a L78S10 (2A version of LM7810) to it to get 10V. Cool it well.

Or buy an American 115V adapter, cut the wire with the right connector and connect it to a Malaysian power supply.
    Or, as suggested, replace the power connector on the SNES with a more common type.

There's always a solution.
    Last edited by Guust; 05-15-2014 at 05:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've managed to track down someone selling a third party American SNES adapter which he locally bought in the 90's, but he says the wires are a bit loose though so it's easy to disconnect the power just by moving the cable during play.

I'm sure I can get it resoldered so that it becomes sturdy again.