Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Collecting Style

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game Collecting Style

What is your preference/General rule when it comes to collecting games?

I mainly like to collect complete boxed games in good condition. I don't have many loose carts in my library but i think it's better to find a cib game than to hunt down for a loose copy, box and manual. Saves me time, headache and probably money. But I will buy a loose cart only if buying it complete is too expensive. Earthbound would be an example.

If it's a sealed vintage game or used in very good condition/complete $50 is proper.. its like paying for the game in its original msrp price.. depends on the system though. Anything below $50 is a good deal. And depending on rarity/quality, common games shouldn't cost more than $20. $100 is the most I'd be willing to spend on a semi-rare/rare game. 5 Years ago, I got a sealed copy of Ys Book 1 & 2 for $80, thought it was a little too expensive at the time considering I was eyeing a jewelcase copy earlier but got outbidded for $40 something. Good sealed Turbo games are probably $100+ nowadays.

And depending on the going rate of specific games I try to save 20-30% of the game's perceived market value. Just recently bought a complete Tactics Ogre on PS1 for $50. It's currently averages around $70+ per sale. So I was pleased i got it cheaper than expected and I've wanted to get this game for years..

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is your preference/General rule when it comes to collecting games?
    CIB only for plastic boxes, with the sole exception of NGPC. So no cardboard ever. I have hundreds of games I haven't yet played, so I can take my time and wait until I find a good deal. No need to BIN it for me.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

CIB for plastics and jewel cases.
    NES games in the box prefered.
    Intellevision in the box only.

Anything else I'm fine with loose.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I hate loose carts but also don't like the cardboard boxes because they don't hold up. All ,y carts are in the universal game cases with TheCoverProject.net's covers in them. For me it's the best option there is.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    I hate loose carts but also don't like the cardboard boxes because they don't hold up. All ,y carts are in the universal game cases with TheCoverProject.net's covers in them. For me it's the best option there is.
    If I had the space, that would also be my option. Alas, NY little affords cheap yet spacious apartments to house all that. One day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Most of my stuff is complete (box, manual, game, items such as maps and charts originally included) with two exceptions:

I don't have many of the cardboard boxes for the turbografx games I have (which isn't a huge number). I do have the manuals and hu card cases for them though.

I only have boxes for about 1/2 of my gameboy/gameboy color games - I have manuals for all of them except a couple of hard to find ones like Trip World and Amazing Tater. Almost all of my gameboy advance ones are complete - with the notable exception of one of the final fantasy ones - one of my dogs decided to munch on the box and manual (the only game I have ever had this happen to).

I do store my boxes, manuals and games for the snes in separate areas. The boxes are stored in a couple of footlockers, the manuals in a tin box and the games in those slide out drawer holders. (Mainly because getting stuff in and out of the boxes is a pain and somewhat hard on the boxes IMHO.)

I also keep all of the maps/charts (for all my games) in vinyl sheet protectors so they lay flat all of the time and it helps avoid damage to the creases. (For a few (like Link to the Past) I had to meld together a couple of the vinyl holders to make holders large enough.)
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

I just love games. A lot of my games are incomplete. But my more rare or favorites have custom cases. Its all about playing and game nights with friends. If I find a CIB its awesome. But I have a thing about sealed games. I only have a few, due to the fact that I cant play them. I dont complete system collections either. I just buy games that I loved when I had/rented it, or if its one everyone brags about so I can give it a shot. I also try to have doubles of any sealed games or consoles I want to mod. I need one to play but I want an original too. When I talk to my buddy about his complete N64 set, I have a huge appreciation for it but I also dont know why having shovelware is worth keeping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My current style is to buy just the game for the past generation stuff when it's a cartridge. If it is a disc based or card(3DS/Vita) based game then it's complete or nothing because they're either fragile or too damn easy to lose due to size. Historically I'd buy all my carts with at least the manual+maps/posters if not with the box because the price difference was nothing to just a few dollars higher but those days have been greedily assassinated.

Regardless I won't pay market value in almost all cases unless it's a ($10 or so or less) cheap title. I try and knock off 20% or more and that's online, local if it's that solid I'd take 10-15% off to erase their ebay/paypal and shipping fees but that's the dead minimum. The thing is, anything slimmer than that I'd rather sit on my ass and make a few clicks of the mouse and save the time, money, and gas being wasted on local predatory trolls.

Currently I'm avoiding NES, SNES, and N64 entirely unless I bump into a cool deal, or I find it's a game I want and it's not out of control in price. I am buying Famicom games I discover I like or should like since they aren't being stupidly run up a pole in cost.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    If I had the space, that would also be my option. Alas, NY little affords cheap yet spacious apartments to house all that. One day...
    Lucky for me I was able to buy a house with an extra room that I have dedicated as my game room. Without it I honestly don't know what I'd do with all my games and consoles.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

My angle toward collecting has changed over the years. I used to just buy/ask for what I wanted to play, but then game stores started liquidating old stuff to get rid of it and I started using ebay so I tried to buy anything I didn't have regardless of condition. I learned space is limited to income and I can't just do that. I had to sell most of my stuff.

To slow the trickle of games coming in these days so I can save money, I use the following tactics:

1. Whenever I can I play the classic game on a flash cartridge, burned disc or emulator first and complete it. Games that pass my test of being able to be completed by me because I was interested in it enough to finish it get added to my want list. For games that have no end, they just get added to my secondary list for being liked enough.

2. I collect both a game only copy and a complete copy. For both of these I try to get them in decent condition but also try not to pay too much, especially for the game only copy as I intend to use that for playing or sharing. In cases where game only copies are really expensive, I might only get a complete copy and just not bother with the game only copy. Especially if it's just being used as a play copy - the flash cart/burned cd/emulator will be good enough in these cases.

3. For modern games it isn't so easy to just copy them - the technology and discs they use are too expensive yet to make that worthwhile. I just do it the old fashioned way - buy what I think I would like to play when I see a good deal or sale on it.

4. Thrift store tactics - I just buy stuff I think I would like to play regardless of above rules because it's cheaper than in the cases where I make the effort to buy things on purpose.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default The gaming opportunist

Unlike many, I personally don't want NES games complete in box or new. While I think it's cool, I find the high prices a turnoff.

Funny, I saw some complete NES games about a month ago at a non-typical place with used games. I though to myself, I wonder if these games will be here next time I stop by.

What I ideally look for though.

NES - Loose
    Atari - Loose
    Gamecube \ wii - Complete
    PS2 - Complete
    Genesis \ sms - Complete

On the Beach of Dreams... Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suppose my "rule"/"routine" would be for my games to at least with the physical box and cover art. I rarely ever have no manuals, but I at least have to have the game, physical box, and cover art.

For my Game Boy games, though, I just need the cartridge with a label intact.
    Last edited by Gothic-Yoichi; 05-12-2014 at 07:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I don't care about cardboard boxes, so I go for cart and manual for NES and SNES, and case, cart and manual otherwise (SEGA carts and disc games). I try not to buy cart only (I feel like I might as well play emulators or get a flash cart otherwise), but I will buy loose carts if the price is right, then try to find the manuals later.

I make cases for my N64 and SNES games using universal game cases and covers from thecoverproject.net, or made myself. The cases can be modified to fit NES carts, but I haven't found the tool I want to use for that task yet.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I tend to buy games if I come across them by chance at a good price. I don't go out of my way to get specific games if they're priced high, at least very rarely if ever. I won't consider my collection complete until I get all my games complete in box with all inserts in excellent condition, I doubt I'll ever really be finished with it. There will always be stuff to work on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega Genesis or master system boxed games complete
    NES SNES cart onlys unless a boxed one finds its way to me.
    Atari INTV and Coleco cart is ok but box preferred.

Atari 8 bit computer stuff should be boxed. when it can be. this includes add on items too. Disk drives modems printers etc.
    And I am a lover of those odd ball items that make a game room complete.
    Current Collection Stats As Of 12/10/2013 : Cartridges - 206 ( 182 unique titles 24 label variations ) : Cassettes - 21 :

Currently in the market for :

+ Atari 8 bit game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
    + Atari 8 Bit Prototype and Demo cartridges
    + Atari 8 bit manuals and boxes

PM me if you see anything above that you have doubles or interest in getting rid of.

Check out my
    Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at http://www.a8museum.com
    Atari 8-Bit Museum on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/392317377550512/
    And on Ebay under the handle ThePaperVault

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    I don't care about cardboard boxes, so I go for cart and manual for NES and SNES, and case, cart and manual otherwise (SEGA carts and disc games). I try not to buy cart only (I feel like I might as well play emulators or get a flash cart otherwise), but I will buy loose carts if the price is right, then try to find the manuals later.

I make cases for my N64 and SNES games using universal game cases and covers from thecoverproject.net, or made myself. The cases can be modified to fit NES carts, but I haven't found the tool I want to use for that task yet.
    For Sega Genesis games that came in cardboard boxes, do you skip the cardboard boxes and just go cart/manual like the SNES? Print custom cases for them, or just get them complete regardless of the box being cardboard?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    For Sega Genesis games that came in cardboard boxes, do you skip the cardboard boxes and just go cart/manual like the SNES? Print custom cases for them, or just get them complete regardless of the box being cardboard?
    You didn't ask me, but I gave a similar answer to the guy you quoted so...

I do buy want the cardboard genesis boxes. Sadly I have two games who cardboard boxes were cut to fit into clamshell cases. For now I consider those games CIB but would replace their cases if I had the chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

If push comes to shove, loose to save space, if I find it in boxed and it's cheap enough, I'll snag it. CD games though must come in the original case, unless it's something like Raiden Project which I bought disc only and came in a regular old jewel case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

CIB is a must for discs based games.For cartridge,it very's i do prefer cib but if it's cheaper loose then id buy the game that way.

Genesis:complete is a must expect for later release that had no clam shell.

Famicom&SNES:complete doesn't matter to me loose is fine.

PC-Engine:Must be complete hucard or cd.

Neo-Geo MVS:Kit's if the price is right fine but i'm ok with loose copies.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

cheap

"hoarder status" my friends tell me....

if its cheap i'll buy it, if its something interesting or harder to find then a little less cheap is ok. if I have been looking for ever then i'll be willing to plunk down some big bucks.
    the average retro console price I've paid for over the past few years has been $3-$12 and than ranges from NES and PS2's to Vectrix and Virtual Boy. some have all the hook ups but most are loose.
    accessories / hook ups range from free to $5.

this way when I piece it all together I can stand to sell 4 NES systems at $35 a pop, under cut EVERYONE locally and still turn a profit.

although I am not a reseller I just like saving (i.e. saving them from the trash) them for times when I want another item and use them to trade or barter or if times get a little tough on the pocket book plink a few out for some quick bucks