Thread: My quick review of the 6 Genesis launch games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default My quick review of the 6 Genesis launch games

For whatever reason, I've been on a big time Early Genesis kick lately. Early Genesis just seems so different to me than Genesis offerings from 92/93/94. It's like two completely different worlds. I've been trying to play the games in the chronological order of their arrival, but accurate release dates are difficult to determine. The good news, is there is a USA Today article from late August 1989, that gives us the actual confirmed games for the test launch in mid August of 1989. New Yorkers and Angelinos were enjoying:

Launch Day Games (08/14/89)

Altered Beast - It's funny, cause I actually see this game talked about as being one of the very worst Genesis games. I think those people didn't have a Genesis in the first couple of years it was around, because Altered Beast was exactly what it needed to be. It was an audio/visual powerhouse for the Genesis. An example of what was possible on the machine. Was the game too short, and did it ultimately come off as a pretty shallow experience ? Yes, absolutely yes, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a strong killer app for early Genesis owners. As a pack in game, I think it was the perfect game for the time frame in which it launched. It was proof positive that the Genesis would have some Arcade chops.

Super Thunder Blade - Ok, this is one that is probably best left forgotten. Super Thunder Blade looks very 1989 to me. I mean, this was a game of a bygone era, in which people were entertained by chunky sprites flying towards them in 3D. The problem with this game is that the 3D scrolling is quite choppy, and the control of your helicopter is pretty lackluster at best. There are some overheard shooter stages, but the game scrolls too fast in these sequences, leaving you with not enough time to react. The overhead portions of the game might have saved this game if they were handled properly. I honestly wouldn't waste more than like 15 minutes on this game, just to check out a launch day game and get that launch day vibe.

Tommy Lasorda Baseball - I know that old sports games aren't normally at the top of your "must play" lists, but Tommy Lasorda is actually a fine piece of launch software for the Genesis. When this game launched, it was a pretty high end sports game for the time. I didn't own a Genesis till about a year later, but a friend of mine bought a Genesis right away and he had this as one of his games. I remember being extremely impressed in the graphical prowess of the Genesis when I would see the ball get really huge as it rose up into the air. The sound effects were especially striking. Plus, there were tons of voice samples that were pretty clear and crisp. This game is technically a port of Power League to the Mega Drive. The Power League series started on the PC Engine, and the game was ported to the Mega Drive as Super League Baseball. World Class Baseball on the TG-16 was the original game that this was based off. This might sound crazy, but I actually prefer World Class Baseball overall (better playability, color and music), although Lasorda was no slouch at all. In fact, at least Lasorda had real MLB cities in the game, because you normally don't think of Paris or London as being huge baseball towns, lol.

Last Battle - This is easily the worst of the 6 launch games in my opinion. I really feel sorry for the poor schmuck that picked this game as the one game to buy alongside his new Genesis console. I could see how somebody might look at the back of the Genesis box and think this was a cool game. I tried to play this game as long as I could, to give it a fair shake, but there just aren't too many redeeming qualities to discuss with this game, and it was very difficult to force myself to try to keep playing it. Bottom line, the control of the character is very bad, and the game just pretty much sucks. There are a few redeeming qualities. The sprites are quite large and well defined. Some of the backgrounds have some nice parallax scrolling. There is some decent color. The fact that you can tackle the stages in a different order is pretty cool, although a lot of times it will get you in trouble and you'll have to start over. I'd really avoid this game, and only play it briefly to just acknowledge it as one of the 6 launch games in the USA.

Space Harrier II - At first, I was thinking that this game might be just as lame as Super Thunder Blade. It had the same scrolling chunky type sprites. 3D games like this are very late 80's, and they died off pretty quickly heading into the 90's. I just think this type of game is a bit dated, and I was thinking this would suck as bad as Super Thunder Blade. However, I found out that the scrolling in this game was much smoother, and the control of the character was much more fluid. You could react quickly to anything happening on screen, and it wasn't at all sluggish like the other 3D game. Some of the voiced samples sound way, way too loud, and can be somewhat annoying. Still, I think this game is definitely worth messing around with, but understand that it has a very dated, 1989 look to it.

ThunderForce II - Now, this is the kind of gem that I was hoping to discover by going back and playing the earliest Genesis games. The ThunderForce series is well known as being a solid shooter series, but I don't think I've played much of the second game. I mostly played the other Genesis versions and the one Saturn game. I might have completely missed this game back in the day, which is a damn shame, because it's the true star of the launch day lineup. The game starts out with this go anywhere type level that really took me off guard. I didn't know they had anything like this in 1989. The first level almost seems open world in nature, and I was very impressed. The side scrolling levels are more standard fare, but still very good. This game is not easy. It's not for the faint of heart. You do get a lot of continues, which you'll probably need to get very far. Definitely the belle of the ball so to speak in terms of the launch games. This game is an audio visual powerhouse. Tons of voice samples, although many are unintelligible, but still the sound design is pretty spectacular. This would have been a great Genesis game to sample if you had your Genny connected to a powerful stereo system.

Worth playing in 2014
    ThunderForce 2 = best launch game
    Altered Beast = Classic game that hasn't stood the test of time very well, but those of us that played in back in the day have plenty of nostalgic love for it and can appreciate it for what it brought to the table
    Tommy Lasorda Baseball = very good sports game at launch
    Space Harrier II = better than I was expecting

I'd probably avoid playing, unless you just want to sample some launch day flavor:

Super Thunder Blade = bad control and choppy 3D
    Last Battle = bad control, repetitive, unexciting gameplay

Last edited by WCP; 05-10-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Awesome review! I never thought about the Genesis in terms of what day 1 felt like. For me, it didn't really exist until Sonic the Hedgehog. I remember seeing Strider and Golden Axe in NYC department stores with $70 price tags, AMD it seemed impossibly out of reach at the time. Now they're on every platform for a dollar.

You should make a blog that appears "in period" with chronological release date reviews, just like we have with system launches! If you don't, I just might.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
    Awesome review! I never thought about the Genesis in terms of what day 1 felt like. For me, it didn't really exist until Sonic the Hedgehog. I remember seeing Strider and Golden Axe in NYC department stores with $70 price tags, AMD it seemed impossibly out of reach at the time. Now they're on every platform for a dollar.

You should make a blog that appears "in period" with chronological release date reviews, just like we have with system launches! If you don't, I just might.
    It seems as though Sonic 1 was really the point when things changed for the Genesis. Pre-Sonic, Genesis games didn't seem very advanced. Come to think about it, Sega got Sonic just in the nick of time, because had Sonic not been released a few months prior to the arrival of the SNES, maybe the SNES would have really steamrolled the Genesis and it would have been no contest. But the SNES released in a world post Sonic, and total domination over Sega wasn't going to happen after Sonic's arrival on the scene.

You can kinda put Genesis games into two groups. Pre-Sonic and Post Sonic. Pre Sonic was the early days, and Post Sonic was Genesis at it's peak performance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    It seems as though Sonic 1 was really the point when things changed for the Genesis. Pre-Sonic, Genesis games didn't seem very advanced. Come to think about it, Sega got Sonic just in the nick of time, because had Sonic not been released a few months prior to the arrival of the SNES, maybe the SNES would have really steamrolled the Genesis and it would have been no contest. But the SNES released in a world post Sonic, and total domination over Sega wasn't going to happen after Sonic's arrival on the scene.

You can kinda put Genesis games into two groups. Pre-Sonic and Post Sonic. Pre Sonic was the early days, and Post Sonic was Genesis at it's peak performance.
    A lot of that has to do with Nintendo losing the anti-trust lawsuit that nullified their restrictive third-party licensing agreements and allowed publishers to put out games for other platforms. That happened right around the same time.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post

Actually, they had a mall tour, presented both games to the public(they had access to a Super Famicom and the Japanese version of SMW), with a lot of Mario fans in the mix, and 80% overall preferred Sonic to Super Mario World.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Nice reviews. I recommend Generation 16 if you're interested in a video series on the early games, done in chronological order.

It's like Chrontendo for the MD, basically.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Early Genesis was more sophisticated technically than NES, but it was Sonic 1 that first really showed off the Genesis power. I agree about the Pre Sonic and Post Sonic thing.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think I would quite agree with all that ,which makes a change for me lol

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wasn't Herzog Zwei a launch title?

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I didn't realize TFII was a launch game - always has been one of my favorites, and I still play. And yeah, it's a bitch.
    I always thought Revenge of Shinobi was a launch, so that must have come soon after.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Champion View Post
    Wow, I didn't realize TFII was a launch game - always has been one of my favorites, and I still play. And yeah, it's a bitch.
    I always thought Revenge of Shinobi was a launch, so that must have come soon after.
    Yup, December 2, 1989.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Insert Coin (Level 0) shinobimusashi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice read. I agree that there is a certain charm about the first generation of Genesis games from 89-90.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

There were plenty of "advanced" games pre-Sonic. Ghouls n Ghosts, Revenge of Shinobi, Phantasy Star 2 & 3, just to name a few. Sonic might be the breaking point where simple stuff like Altered Beast type games wouldn't cut it any more, but Genesis always had games with depth, or at least as much depth as that era allowed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Altered Beast is one of my guilty pleasure games. It was the game in the demo station that made me fall madly in love with Genny - the voices, huge sprites, parallax, beast transitions... it was just like the arcade!

A pre Sonic game is one of my favorite Genesis games, Shadow Dancer. The graphics, sound effects, music, arcade gameplay made me a believer in "Genesis Does What Nintendon't!" If Nintendo hadn't announced the Super Famicom was coming to USA, I may have ended up a Genesis superfan in 1991, without any regard to Sonic, which I never thought was very good.

Insert Coin (Level 0) shinobimusashi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whenever I play those early launch era Gen games I can't help but think about how it must have felt for gamers to have played these back before the SNES even came out, back when your only other option was NES/8-bit, in that context even a game like Super Thunder Blade would have been pretty fucking awesome back then. Even though the NES still had some good game released in 89-90, the stuff released on the Genesis blew it out of the water more or less, Revenge Of Shinobi, Strider, Golden Axe, those games looked phenomenal compared to what the alternatives were for 89-90.
    Last edited by shinobimusashi; 05-22-2014 at 11:23 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I can tell you that STB _looked_ awesome, but it didn't play well. I was too young to think there was a flaw with the game though, so I just thought I was really bad at it.

Altered Beast was really impressive (and pretty scary actually) though and one of the first games I beat, and I loved TFII even though I couldn't get far into it.

Edit:
    If you had access to a good PC or an Amiga (which I was lucky enough to have), well the arcade ports often sucked on those, but there definitely was good stuff to play like Monkey Island, It Came From the Desert, Battle Squadron, Defender of the Crown, IK+, Sim City, Paradroid 90, Pirates!, Loom, Pang, Gravity Force, Turrican, North & South, Wings, Stunt Car Racer, Indiana Jones, Wings of Fury, Shadow of the Beast 1-2, Space Quest and Hero's Quest, Cadaver, Warlords, Speedball 2, Starflight, Lost Patrol, Bard's Tale etc. Not sure about the early PCE library since I'm European. Not to downplay the MD here.
    Last edited by Alianger; 05-23-2014 at 07:10 AM.