Thread: USA model TurboDuo find! Heavily abused and loose, parts help?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default USA model TurboDuo find! Heavily abused and loose, parts help?

I figure folks here would be just as excited as I am about this neat story:
    A gamestore owner and friend of mine pulled out an abused treasure today: a heavily stripped USA model TurboDuo! The first one I have ever seen locally, ever.

It is missing too much to ever work 100%, but would have a life as a test system for TG-16 cards. What is missing?
    1. The card door
    2. The AV cord
    3. The power supply
    4. The CD-ROM lid!
    5. The CD-ROM drive assembly- no lens, no rails, no spindle!!!

I did some research, can anyone confirm:
    1. A mono/video Genesis 1 AV cable will work as a replacement.
    2. Any cheap power supply ideas? So far I've found old posts that say an old $25 Rat-Shack adapter would work, but this is really pricey.

I tested it with my existing Duo equipment and found video was fine, but sound only works out of the side headphone plug. Not bad! I have a spare TurboDuo controller I can give to the project.
    Oh, and the prior owner also drilled a large hole in the back of the case

Advice is very welcome! I am not sure if anything can be done about the CD-ROM part.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Yes the AV cable from the first generation Genesis would work (5 pin din)
    2. The power supply has the following stats
    Output: 10V DC 1000Ma
    positive tip
    plug Outer Diameter 6.3mm. Inner Diameter 3.0mm

You can try a local thrift store to see if you can find an AC adapter close to the specs. As for the sound issue, you probably need to recap the motherboard (refer to the PC FX forums for a diagram). The CD lens you will need a Hitachi HOP M3 laser assembly. Without the lid you will need something to hold the switch down and something to hold the CD down. It's going to look very crappy but it can work. If you don't want to both fixing it up, you can sell it for parts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

You should only get one audio channel using a mono Genesis cable, PC Engine AV jacks are stereo (the reason for its different din is no RGB output).
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

You can also check Ebay. You will find non working ones for parts for sale from time to time.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would probably be worth fixing if it had the door for the disc drive. But with that and the Hucard door missing it's probably easier to resell it for parts. I guarantee that it would still bring in a decent buck on Ebay as I'm sure someone is looking for parts as those systems are in very high demand on the whole.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am not planning on reselling it, I don't mind keeping it as my main system to play Turbochip games. It still has the functionality of a Turbo-booster and a regular TG-16. I still feel lucky to own it, and that it has survived in such an incomplete state.

A completed search on ebay found that broken donor units are sometimes available. I think my only hope for this becoming fully functional is a loose donor unit on a BIN auction that no longer powers up.

The missing piece I would like to find soon is the 10V power adapter. There is a proper one that retro game cave sells for about $27. I may be able to beat that using a Sega Genesis 1602 adapter and a conversion plug for a few dollars cheaper. I have not made up my mind though, I would really like to be paying a bit less....but that might not happen.

If anyone likes, I can clean it up and snap a picture.

Thanks for the advice so far, keep it coming!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I'd look into video upgrades if there's already a suitable hole in the case. Expensive as this system is, it's still held back by composite.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ifkz View Post
    I am not planning on reselling it, I don't mind keeping it as my main system to play Turbochip games. It still has the functionality of a Turbo-booster and a regular TG-16. I still feel lucky to own it, and that it has survived in such an incomplete state.

A completed search on ebay found that broken donor units are sometimes available. I think my only hope for this becoming fully functional is a loose donor unit on a BIN auction that no longer powers up.

The missing piece I would like to find soon is the 10V power adapter. There is a proper one that retro game cave sells for about $27. I may be able to beat that using a Sega Genesis 1602 adapter and a conversion plug for a few dollars cheaper. I have not made up my mind though, I would really like to be paying a bit less....but that might not happen.

If anyone likes, I can clean it up and snap a picture.

Thanks for the advice so far, keep it coming!
    Just to throw this out there, the AC adapters from Retro game Cave are VERY good quality. I HIGHLY recommend them. The price is well worth the quality of the product for their Turbo AC Adapters. There are surely worse ways you can spend the money. Plus, factor in the fact that this system sounds like it's been through Hell, I'd hate to see the board pop because of the wrong voltage. Would just be sad.

Other than that, cool find and I hope you get it running and maybe get it cosmetically fixed up too.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    Just to throw this out there, the AC adapters from Retro game Cave are VERY good quality. I HIGHLY recommend them.
    I am not knocking them either, one of my rescued Sega CDX units is powered by a RGC adapter. The cord is short, but it does the job well. I might have to go this route, it is just that $30 is such a kick in the pants for something like an AC adapter. I've bought complete systems for less than that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by ifkz View Post
    I am not knocking them either, one of my rescued Sega CDX units is powered by a RGC adapter. The cord is short, but it does the job well. I might have to go this route, it is just that $30 is such a kick in the pants for something like an AC adapter. I've bought complete systems for less than that!
    All you need is one competently built, so what if a different brand. The power ratings are pretty generic.
    Last edited by theclaw; 05-17-2014 at 05:42 PM.
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found my power adapter, with perfectly matching specs to the original. When it arrives in a week, I will likely need to solder a compatible end on it...I found a few from China, does this look correct: 6.3mm x 3.0mm for the head piece to fit a USA TurboDuo? (EDIT: Yea, from the above that looks correct).

Also, does anyone have an idea on replacing the laser assembly? I need everything. Were there any other consumer electronics that shared the design, like a Sega CD model 2, a Sony Walkman, an old computer CD-ROM unit? I know it was one of the first available, a 1x of some sort. Is this going to live out its life as a Turbo Uno, at least until I can find an equally abused donor? Maybe a dead Duo model from Japan since the USA units are so rare?
    Last edited by ifkz; 05-17-2014 at 11:51 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Laser assembly

Replacing the laser assembly is cake. All you have to do is remove the plastic cover, unscrew the end holding the rods, unplug laser and insert the new laser and do the reverse. As stated above, the laser is a HOP M3 and you can find those easily on ebay.