Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odds of getting my hands on an RDI Halcyon by my 30th birthday (about 8 1/2 years from now)?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Default Odds of getting my hands on an RDI Halcyon by my 30th birthday (about 8 1/2 years from now)?

The Halcyon is THE ONE item I want the most (in the ultra long term...)

With about 8 1/2 years to go (until December 2022), will I be able to find one, and where would be the best place? I know they are stupidly rare. I'd trade an NWC for one (if I had NWC, the rarest thing I have is a Casio Loopy CIB)
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd hate to say it but I think it's wishful thinking. There's only about 3 or 4 of those known and that's it. Save lots of cash and pray that one turns up for sale it that time.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    I'd hate to say it but I think it's wishful thinking. There's only about 3 or 4 of those known and that's it. Save lots of cash and pray that one turns up for sale it that time.
    I think there are more than that. I saw an old Computer Chronicles where there were dozens in one room. I'd say there's at least 20 out there. "Wishful thinking" would be to say I'm going to get a Halcyon in the next year. 8 1/2 years... that's a heck of a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You'd have better odds successfully navigating an asteroid field at 3720 to 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    "Wishful thinking" would be to say I'm going to get a Halcyon in the next year. 8 1/2 years... that's a heck of a long time.
    Yes, because rare things become less rare as time goes on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

It belongs in a museum !!! Just kidding still the halcyon is so rare that the odds are stack against you.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think there are more than that. I saw an old Computer Chronicles where there were dozens in one room. I'd say there's at least 20 out there. "Wishful thinking" would be to say I'm going to get a Halcyon in the next year. 8 1/2 years... that's a heck of a long time.
    Hate to burst your bubble, but since 1999, only two have been sold on Ebay and one was mislisted but still sold to a laserdisc and arcade collector. The last one was listed in 2008 and none have been listed since. I believe the Videogame History Museum just got one as a donation, but I haven't seen any private sales happen lately. You're also looking at something that is coveted by collectors and your competition is going to be extremely tough if one does pop up. I know I have had offers of $25K for one of my complete Halcyons and I didn't even hesitate in turning them down.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I wouldn't plan on it happening, there aren't many more consoles that are as rare and highly sought after.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

1 in 100 million.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble, but since 1999, only two have been sold on Ebay and one was mislisted but still sold to a laserdisc and arcade collector. The last one was listed in 2008 and none have been listed since. I believe the Videogame History Museum just got one as a donation, but I haven't seen any private sales happen lately. You're also looking at something that is coveted by collectors and your competition is going to be extremely tough if one does pop up. I know I have had offers of $25K for one of my complete Halcyons and I didn't even hesitate in turning them down.
    How many Halcyons do you have?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    You'd have better odds successfully navigating an asteroid field at 3720 to 1.
    Never tell me the odds.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

And also take into account that the Halcyon's medium of choice, the laserdisc, suffers from bitrot very easily and in 8 or so years there may be no surviving game discs to even be able to play on one. I'm not an expert on laserdiscs, but I have seen some older discs that the silver data layer inside the disc has crumbled up like a dry lake bed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Good luck with that, I've been trying for the past 10 years. what are your odds? Pretty good if you start offering $50,000 in as many video game forums as you can. I'd trade my Adventurevision in a heartbeat for one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Halcyon is THE ONE item I want the most (in the ultra long term...)
    It will sit in a corner and collect dust, and you will be out a great deal of money.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    It will sit in a corner and collect dust, and you will be out a great deal of money.
    The money will come back. The chance to own a Halcyon again might not. Just the thought of having it is a natural high.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    thestraightedge

As I was just talking to a friend about this system: has this really been sold officially, or should the system be considered as a prototype? I heard contrary stories about the release / planned release. As it is so incredibly rare, I really can not imagine how it ever went on sale and only sold like 5 units in total.

I'd be happy to hear that it never was sold officially, with only the few produced items being swapped in some way - as it would be out of my collection-scope then.

And HOW THE HELL could anybody own more than ONE Halcyon, Bojay1997?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phil_consollection View Post
    As I was just talking to a friend about this system: has this really been sold officially, or should the system be considered as a prototype? I heard contrary stories about the release / planned release. As it is so incredibly rare, I really can not imagine how it ever went on sale and only sold like 5 units in total.

I'd be happy to hear that it never was sold officially, with only the few produced items being swapped in some way - as it would be out of my collection-scope then.

And HOW THE HELL could anybody own more than ONE Halcyon, Bojay1997?
    I can't say this is 100%, but I have tried to find out as much as I can on this system for years, and from what I understand is it was sold in extremely limited quantities to investors only. No idea how many made it out, or how many still exist.

Another weird thing is that I have never seen a box. Even the games I have seen for sale don't have a box.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    thestraightedge

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    I can't say this is 100%, but I have tried to find out as much as I can on this system for years, and from what I understand is it was sold in extremely limited quantities to investors only. No idea how many made it out, or how many still exist.

Another weird thing is that I have never seen a box. Even the games I have seen for sale don't have a box.
    This is part of the reason why I tend towards "prototype". The games not only miss a box, they have this strange DIY-white label feeling, no manual, ... It feels like 2 dozens of trade show samples with some games have been sold back then to a small, privileged group of people - and that was that. Even pictures of the system never show a box.

I discussed this matter before, but never was anyone able to "prove" a real launch. I'd be happy to learn more...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    Just the thought of having it is a natural high.
    The thought of having something sitting in a corner collecting dust is a natural high?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    The thought of having something sitting in a corner collecting dust is a natural high?
    For me, absolutely. My Adventurevision sits on a shelf and rarely gets played, but it is a joy to me every time I look at it. I'd rather have that then 10 systems that I play daily. I'm very proud to own one.