Thread: Sega Genesis Black Screen (Cleaned)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Genesis Black Screen (Cleaned)

Hello friendly people,

I recently acquired a Sega Genesis but without an AV cable. The condition was overall good, it came with controllers and games, so I bought it and ordered a cable off of Amazon for cheap. After waiting three weeks, I hooked it up to my tv to find absolutely nothing. The screen changes to a backlit black and stays like that.

Round 2.

Opening the slot, I found that the cartridge port was painfully corroded and the copper had actually oxidized. I thought this was the culprit, and so I took rubbing alcohol and cleaned the contacts 255 times. I also cleaned the games (pic 3), but upon finding out that I was still getting a black screen, decided to go with fine grit sandpaper. At the end of this session all the green corrosion was gone and the teeth were looking new, however I was still getting a black screen.

Round 3.

I opened the damn thing and found that it is in good condition. After blowing with a can of compressed air to be sure, I found some bad, almost rusty, PCB traces on one of the leads that connected the cartridge socket to the processor (see attached picture). This was on both sides on the exact same trace. However, putting up the mainboard to the light, I could see that although rusty and exposed, the trace should still carry a charge.

So my question - is it worth reflowing the trace? Could that even be the problem? Or perhaps I need to jump wires from point to point?

Oh, and if I could check voltage somehow to make sure the traces are actually dead, does anybody know where I would check it? I have no knowledge of where voltage goes and at what time on this thing unfortunately. Basic knowledge tells me that after a cartridge is in there should be flow from both sides, but I don't know to be sure.

Thank you for reading kind sirs and maams - I hope your inner retro side comes back to life and you can help me before I melt everything with my soldering skills.

http://puu.sh/8Wvnx.JPG
    http://puu.sh/8WvkH.JPG
    http://puu.sh/8Wvrt.JPG

UPDATE:

AFTER REFLOWING TWO POINTS I HAVE ACHIEVED LICENSE SCREEN, BUT NOTHING AFTER THAT

UPDATE 2:

AFTER REFLOWING ANOTHER CONNECTION I HAVE A WORKING GENESIS! THANK YOU TO ALL, YOU INSPIRED ME TO FIX THIS MYSELF
    Last edited by sicamore; 05-22-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im coming in a bit late, but Good job.