Thread: Thinking about getting one of these consoles cant decide

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Thinking about getting one of these consoles cant decide

And they couldnt be more opposite in price so I was thinking of getting one of the Neo Geo consoles (either the AES or the CD) but because of AES prices Im leaning more towards the Neo Geo CD the only thing is the loading. The other console is the Sega Dreamcast so either a Neo Geo console or a Sega Dreamcast not sure. I think it would be awesome to be able to play arcade games and basically have an arcade console so Im leaning more towards that since many of the best Dreamcast games were put on other consoles anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Dreamcast is x1000000 better than Neo Geo, and x100000000000000000 less expensive to collect.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Little Miss Gloom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    littlemissgloom

I hear Neo Geo can be a real wallet-burner. I'd go with the Dreamcast, just because it has so much charm and emulation possibility. But that's just me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

NeoCD seems like a real drag, because of the loading. I'd get a PS3 and download NeoGeo station before getting that. You could also get some of the best Dreamcast games (Space Channel 5 part 2, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur) on that system, too. The controls are better on ps3 and IMHO it's no less faithful to the arcade.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definately get a Dreamcast. Neo Geo is cool and all, but no home is complete without a Dreamcast. Do urself a favor and get the games mentioned above, along with Jet Set Radio. I don't have a humongous Dreamcast collection, but I do know there's oodles of shoot-em-ups on the system, and fighting games, and RPGs...

Dreamcast. Answered.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

There is no reason not to get a dreamcast considering how cheap they are.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

How much money are you looking to spend? That'll help answer your question.

I own all three of these consoles and enjoy them all for different reasons. If money is an issue go with the Dreamcast, if it isn't the AES is an amazing console.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by LINK398 View Post
    And they couldnt be more opposite in price so I was thinking of getting one of the Neo Geo consoles (either the AES or the CD) but because of AES prices Im leaning more towards the Neo Geo CD the only thing is the loading. The other console is the Sega Dreamcast so either a Neo Geo console or a Sega Dreamcast not sure. I think it would be awesome to be able to play arcade games and basically have an arcade console so Im leaning more towards that since many of the best Dreamcast games were put on other consoles anyway
    You could go with a consolized MVS and save a ton of money on Neo Geo games. Rather than spending the money for AES carts, you can buy the actual arcade cart. The console will be $300-500 and the carts can cost a fraction of the AES version prices. You can save money and forget about the loading times.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JaGQ-EA1IM

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LINK398 View Post
    I think it would be awesome to be able to play arcade games and basically have an arcade console so Im leaning more towards that since many of the best Dreamcast games were put on other consoles anyway
    I've seen that come up, but it's like: You could have all those games, as they were originally intended, on one machine, or get multiple consoles/handhelds to get a portion of it's library spread out across those.

Th Gamecube version of Skies of Arcadia, for what it does add, isn't going to give you a small screen on a GC memory card helping you find power ups for Cupeli, who serves as Feena's weapon.

Grandia 2 is often said to be better on the Deamcast.

Time Stalkers, which is grossly misunderstood, remains exclusive, since it's a crossover of mostly Sega console exclusive adventure/RPG characters.

Record of Lodoss War, a Diablo clone based on a popular anime series, remains exclusive.

Elemental Gimmick Gear, an excellent action-adventure, with gorgeous hand drawn backgrounds, remains exclusive.

I don't know if the Giant Gram/All Japan series continued on after the Dreamcast. The Fire Pro game is excellent too, even if the latest PS2 one is better.

You still get SNK, as well as Capcom fighters, among other 2D fights, and 3D fighters, like the original Soul Calibur.

The only time the original Bangai-O was localized.

The only physical copy of the original Jet Grind Radio.

Cannon Spike remains exclusive.

Dynamite Cop, one of the few times I stand behind a 3d Beat 'em up, remains exclusive.

Spawn: In the Demon's Hand, and Heavy Metal GeoMatrix, a pair of Capcom arena fighters, remain exclusive.

Zombie Revenge, half 3D beat 'em up, half shooter, set int he world of the House of the Dead series, remains exclusive.

So it's not exactly like the Dreamcast has nothing left to offer.