Thread: Internet Archive "MAME Club": Burgertime (Prototype) (Coleco Colecovision)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Cool Internet Archive "MAME Club": Burgertime (Prototype) (Coleco Colecovision)

What's the game for this week?

The Coleco version of "Burgertime"!

The object of the game is to complete a number of hamburgers while avoiding enemy foods.

When main protagonist, chef Peter Pepper, the player's character, walks the length of an ingredient (bun, meat patty, tomato, etc.), it falls one level. If it lands atop another ingredient, the latter in turn falls one level. A burger is completed when all vertically aligned ingredients have been dropped out of the maze and onto a waiting plate. Once all burgers are completed, the game level is finished.

While making burgers, the player must avoid the antagonists, three types of enemies: Mr. Hot Dog, Mr. Pickle, and Mr. Egg. Enemies can be dodged, stunned, crushed with a falling ingredient, or dropped by luring them onto an ingredient and then causing it to fall. In this last case, the piece will fall much farther than normal, depending on how many enemies are on it. Enemies that have been crushed or dropped return to the maze after a few seconds. Dropped enemies award larger point values than crushed ones; therefore, to obtain a high score, the player must attract more than one enemy onto an ingredient just before dropping it.

Peter Pepper has pepper shots to shake on nearby enemies to stun and render them harmless for a few seconds. Extra shots are obtained by collecting bonus foods, such as coffee, an ice cream cone, or French fries, which appear in the center of the maze when a certain number of ingredients have dropped.

There are six screens of increasing difficulty, with more burgers and enemies, burgers that have more parts, and/or layouts that make it easier for Peter Pepper to be cornered and harder for him to reach the ingredients. Completing all six screens takes the player back to the first one.
    Name:  Burgertime_1983_Mattel_proto_screenshot.png
Views: 258
Size:  1.8 KB

Play it in your Web browser here.
    Download it here.
    Read about it on the Internet Archive here.

What is the Internet Archive Weekly Game Club?

We play a different game each week that is available online from the Internet Archive's Console Living Room.

How's it work?

Everyone who wants to play will play the given game for the week. During this time, everyone posts their impressions, scores, and times from the game to have some fun and conversation. On Sunday, whoever had posted in the thread during the previous week is eligible to post a new game to play. The first valid post on Sunday picks the next game and starts us on the next week from that Sunday to its following Saturday.

Is it a competition?

Not exactly. People are free to compare records for the lowest times and the highest scores (so post your scores frequently!), but there is no official winner and no prizes are administered.

Then why...?

The point is to have fun and encourage people to find and play new-to-them retro games and consoles, and to introduce (or re-introduce) the classics and... sometimes not-so-good oldies to folks of all ages.

May I play the games using real, physical copies of the games on the original hardware?

Of course! Isn't that always the best way?

May I play the games using the emulator of my choice?

The Internet Archive makes downloads of all of the games available, so yes you can. To download a game, change the URL so that instead of including the word "stream" or "details," that it has the word "download." E.g., change https://archive.org/details/atari_26..._cohen_cx26123 to https://archive.org/download/atari_2..._cohen_cx26123.

Why does it have to be from the Internet Archive's Console Living Room?

Short version: So as many people as possible can play the games - not everyone will already own the game and not everyone will want to buy one.

Longer version: The Internet Archive has a D.M.C.A. exemption from the U.S. federal government to have these games and their files online. Therefore unlike ROM sites or their ilk, these games are free and clear for every American to legally download, stream, and play on their computers as long as the Internet Archive is hosting them. And as most visitors to the Digital Press Web site hail from America (over 75%), this is important to us.

However laws vary from country to country. In some countries, these files have fallen out of copyright, were never under copyright, or are now in the public domain. In others, the files are still restricted as copyrighted intellectual property. If you want to be certain about their status, please speak to your friendly neighborhood attorney if you are outside of the United States of America.

May I play along if I am from outside the U.S.?

Yes, you sure can. As the last paragraph indicated, the laws in your country might be different, but as long as you have access to the legal means to play the games, go for it!

May I pick any game on the Internet Archive as the next Club game?

As long as it is available for in-browser emulation, it's eligible!

Week 3 (2014 June 7) ~ Burgertime (Prototype) (Coleco Colecovision): Steam - Download - Read
    Week 2 (2014 May 29) ~ Sonic 2 (SEGA Genesis): Steam - Download - Read
    Week 1 (2014 May 24) ~ Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 2600): Steam - Download - Read
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	atari_2600_jr._pac-man_1984_atari_-_gcc_ava-r_cohen_cx26123_screenshot.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.1 KB 
ID:	7484  
    Last edited by Nz17; 06-07-2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: updated subject line

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I used to play this game when I was a kid when I was visiting the home of some former childhood friends. They had an Atari and I had an Atari, but our selections of games were different. Later when they got an NES, they abandoned their VCS and its games to a dusty corner of their home. But while I was interested in playing their NES games (those which I didn't own, primarily), I still wanted to play their Atari games which I didn't have. And one of those was Jr. Pac-Man.

Jr. Pac-Man is what I consider to be the best version of the classic Pac-Man formula. There's just so much more going on, so much more animation and movement in this game than the others! It's too bad that Namco considers this to be an unofficial game and neither it nor the current owners of Bally Midway plan to ever release the arcade or Atari versions for re-release on any dedicated consoles, game compilations, tablets, or smart phones.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

New game for May 29th: STH2!

Ah, Sonic 2. How many gamers began their gaming careers with the NOT FOR RESALE pack-in copy of 16-bit Sonic 2?
    Last edited by Nz17; 05-29-2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: more info added

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    New game for May 29th: STH2!

Ah, Sonic 2. How many gamers began their gaming careers with the NOT FOR RESALE pack-in copy of 16-bit Sonic 2?
    Sonic 2 was the game that made me beg my parents for a Sega Genesis for Christmas. I still think its the best sonic game on genesis for sure and one of the best Genesis games.
    Started playing this game last night, been keeping track of my best times..

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Started playing this game last night, been keeping track of my best times..
    Let's see if you can get Sonic to run around at the speed of sound!

BTW, I just picked up (another) copy of this game, this time for Android using some Amazon App Store "coins" that I had. This version, newly made to be very portable across platforms (including iOS), allows for you to play as Sonic, Tails, Sonic + Tails, or Knuckles from the start, no lock-on required!

Plus - even more interesting - are two new levels exclusive to this version, based upon a scrapped zone from one of the original Sonic 2 betas. Want to know how to find it? Here's a hint: go to the "death pit" full of spikes that you can't get out of in the Mystic Cave Zone.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering what you named this, and how it started, I figured it was going to be strictly about arcade gaming, which isn't a bad thing. Lord only knows how many arcade cabinets existed back in the day, between 3 regions. Plus there's SegaSonic.

How many started with Sonic 2? I wouldn't know, I started with SMB/Duck Hunt, got a TG16, then a Sonic 1 bundle Genesis. Sonic 2 was one of my first games for the console shortly afterward though.

If you never saw this, this was one hell of a story to listen to about Sonic 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOVLKCg-4rs

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Played the first 4 stages for about an hour altogether this week and these are my best times:
    Sonic 2
    Stage : Time
    1-1: 0:38
    1-2: 0:57
    2-1: 0:57
    2-2: 1:43
    3-1: 0:40
    3-2: 1:32
    4-1: 1:14
    4-2: 2:07

These are my times playing without Tails. Im gonna keep trying to improve these times, this is just a starting point. If anyone wants to challenge my times feel free.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

bb_hood, I declare you the official "winner" of Sonic 2 week. Those are some good stage completion times!

MidnightRider, thanks for the post! I'll check out that story on YouTube soon.

And everyone, it's time for a new game. This time it's that arcade classic, Burgertime! We are presenting it in all its Colecovision glory.

Stack them burgers, it's time to get cookin'!