Thread: They need to make a Tomba 3!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default They need to make a Tomba 3!

So, I'd never played this as a kid, I missed this series like a lotta people. Picked up Tomba 2 today for a...fair... price, and wow this ones such a gem!! In my opinion its better than the Spyro games of the time. What a fantastic series, it's a shame it didn't get more attention, and its a shame the prices for these games are a little steep for the PS1 library.

But, if ur willing to spend a good $60-$70 for a good PS1 game, this is a gem. Or just download it off PSN. I know the first one is a little different, 2D platformer-RPG, but this one is a 3D platformer-adventure similar to Jak & Daxter, and the in-depth storyline element makes me think of Zelda, where u go around the town doing mini missions and stuff. Altho it's not a fantasy world like with fairies and whatnot. I know it's become known as a gem now, but I don't hear it talked about. It's easily in my top 5 PS1 games now, and I will definately be getting the 1st Tomba as well.

Also, those skeptic about the rough 32-bit graphics, this one holds the test of time. The graphics look good.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I'm all for a third TOMBA game. Truth be told, I've never played any of them, but I've always liked the look of them and wished I could have gotten them back in the day. But you know how financial limitations are and all.

Sadly, after the original PlayStation, SONY just doesn't make any games that I'm interested in getting. They all feel so... sterile, so pre-calculated, that they lack appeal for me in visuals and game-play. TOMBA shows what used to be great about PSX games.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    I'm all for a third TOMBA game. Truth be told, I've never played any of them, but I've always liked the look of them and wished I could have gotten them back in the day. But you know how financial limitations are and all.

Sadly, after the original PlayStation, SONY just doesn't make any games that I'm interested in getting. They all feel so... sterile, so pre-calculated, that they lack appeal for me in visuals and game-play. TOMBA shows what used to be great about PSX games.
    Emulate it. It's also available on the PSN, so it is available for cheap. And yes, I agree about PS1 games. I am, though, becoming more interested in newer Playstation games, as well, cuz there actually are a lot of great games that are creative and weird and really unique. I don't have a PS3, but whenever I'm at Best Buy I wish I do cuz I see games like 5 different Little Big Planet games, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, and some game, I think, called Playstation All-Stars which appears to be a Super Smash Bros rip-off, only with Playstation characters, and one of them is Parappa the Rapper.

Not to mention there's Katamari, Lumines, Tearaway on the Vita... I'm actually way more interested in Playstation then I am Xbox. Cuz I think Playstation has developed a certain identity in terms of their games, like Nintendo has, and that's cuz they've been around for almost 20 years now. Plus, I hear Sony Computer Entertainment will be taking over a new Crash Bandicoot game.

I really miss the days where u had a million great platformers to choose from, and each one just had to have their own kart game to go with it, too. I recommend Little Big Planet the most, tho. If u've really lost faith in Sony to make great games, check that series out, cuz it's just amazing.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a kid and a teenager I just wanted to kill things and blow stuff up, and now all I really wanna do is platform. Right now it's become my fav genre to play, Idk why, it feels childish almost, but whatever. I grew up on Mario, Sonic, and Crash Bandicoot. They're games that never get old, no matter what age ur at.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just think it's criminal that the Tomba series died after the PS1, and that it didn't get the attention that others like Spyro and Crash Bandicoot did. Spyro games were great, I played the shit out of em in the 90s, but they don't really hold up for me now, quite as much. Even with the nostalgia, they have their issues for me. Camera angles and some ugliness to the graphics being the primary culprits. Tomba 2 is absolutely a superior game to Spyro the Dragon. Maybe even the Crash games.

Idk, Tomba 2 is now up there with Crash Bandicoot: Warped, it really is an amazing game, and thought I should throw it out there and give it some attention that it absolutely desserves.

If ur looking to collect some of the more expensive PS1 games, also, and aren't sure what to get, u got all the RPGs, I'm telling u, choose this one cuz it's one that's actually really fantastic.