Thread: Nintendo's apparent indirect endorsement of roms

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo's apparent indirect endorsement of roms

So, I was just on a rom site and while I was waiting for the rom's download window to pop-up an ad for Mario Kart 8 played. Odd. I know that a company, especially a large one, is not a single-minded entity, but it seems strange that the advertising team of Nintendo is undermining the position of their legal team. Perhaps Nintendo's advertising team just directs internet ad funds into some third-party company that pops ads onto the monitor screens of video game users, regardless of what sites they visit.

Equally odd, this might be the FIRST WiiU ad I've seen.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

its going off of search history, cookies general browsing, it wasn't them targeting a website it was them targeting you because something you did hit a tag for Nintendo or something along those lines

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

These types of ads can sometimes be pretty funny or ironic, I'm sure they're not intentional.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Of course Nintendo endorces ROMs. They want to sell them to you on the eshop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Right. Nintendo would never, ever endorse roms. Hell, you would never even see them use the world emulator. They'd just some jargon like "unauthorized software" and then proceed to warn you that the use of such may "damage your computer". But hey, come look at the E-Shop and buy our digital games! That's completely different!

That's what Nintendo would do.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    These types of ads can sometimes be pretty funny or ironic, I'm sure they're not intentional.

Awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    So, I was just on a rom site and while I was waiting for the rom's download window to pop-up an ad for Mario Kart 8 played. Odd. I know that a company, especially a large one, is not a single-minded entity, but it seems strange that the advertising team of Nintendo is undermining the position of their legal team. Perhaps Nintendo's advertising team just directs internet ad funds into some third-party company that pops ads onto the monitor screens of video game users, regardless of what sites they visit.

Equally odd, this might be the FIRST WiiU ad I've seen.
    So I got into those prize sites a couple of years back that dealt heavily with advertising revenue and paid clicking and here's how I understand how this work.

Nintendo pays a 3rd party marketing company to advertise for them. Said 3rd party then allows other web owners to sign up and place targeted ads on their sites. Every time someone clicks the ad, the web site owner gets paid a small amount, usually less than $.05. While that may not seem like much, if the site is getting thousands of hits per day, you can see how that small amount starts to add up. Thus the web owner gets paid for the advertising, and Nintendo gets more hits for their products and more leads. So your rom site must have signed up with one of these 3rd party marketing companies and they simply provided the site with the <object> tags to stick into the HTML. Nintendo has no influence on who signs up with these companies, or where there leads come from.

Someone more experienced can come along and correct me, but this is how I understand it.