Thread: Capcom's Super NES Years

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Capcom's Super NES Years

Does anyone remember what Capcom games could've benefited from a Super NES version (in the 1991 to 1998 period)?

Hot sheet (Disney):
    DuckTales 2 (released 1993 for NES)
    Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers 2 (released 1993 for NES)
    The Little Mermaid (released 1991 for NES)
    TaleSpin (released 1991 for NES)
    Darkwing Duck (released 1992 for NES)

Others:
    L. E. D. Storm (a 1989 racing game, known in Japan under the name Mad Gear)
    MERCS (1989)
    Mega Man: The Wily Wars (a 1994 anthology of the first three Mega Man games originally released for the NES in 1987, 1989 and 1990 respectively; the only official USA release was on the SEGA Genesis via the SEGA Channel network)

~Ben
    Last edited by ColecoFan1981; 05-27-2014 at 09:07 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Rockboard, its a fortune street type game using megaman characters and I think it would have been cool to see a snes (or in this case super famicom) version of this

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Pretty sure I remember GamePro once mentioning a SNES version of MMTWW.
    Possibly misinformation, though.
    And I guess once they licensed it to Sega for Sega Channel, any chance of that would be gone.

As to MERCS, I can see cutting the third player on the Genesis port, but they couldn't even include a 2-player option? :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I do believe you left out Gargoyle's Quest II and Mighty Final Fight. The SNES also never got SF2 Championship Edition, just the others. There were various arcade fighters that hit the PS1/Saturn the SNES could have handled as well given how amazing they did given the limits on SF Alpha 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I do believe you left out Gargoyle's Quest II and Mighty Final Fight. The SNES also never got SF2 Championship Edition, just the others. There were various arcade fighters that hit the PS1/Saturn the SNES could have handled as well given how amazing they did given the limits on SF Alpha 2.
    Street Fighter II Turbo is both Turbo and Championship Edition. Same for Special Champion Edition on Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Honestly, I was pretty happy with what I got from Capcom during the SNES era. I actually got a Super Nintendo at it's launch, and I remember Capcom delivering a bunch of huge games early in the SNES lifespan. I bought U.N. Squadron, which I feel is one of the best SNES shooters period. I also got Super Ghouls & Ghosts, which probably ranks in my top 20 SNES games of all time, which is really saying something. Final Fight was also a super early SNES game, and I actually think the translation was damn good.

Those are just the earliest releases, and they continued to dominate during the SNES era.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yes it's a true toss up if not in the favor of Capcom between them and Konami for the amazing stuff that popped up in in the SNES era. Final Fight though they deserve no mercy on. Even if you give them the missing stage, they censored the hell out of it which was entirely unnecessary treating americans like babies.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

they censored the hell out of it which was entirely unnecessary treating americans like babies.
    Pre-ESRB, NoA was a lot stricter with what they'd allow on their consoles (I think even post-ESRB, they'd still prohibit some stuff like swearing for awhile).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That is true, but look at the time span between Final Fight and SF2. Not much, and both pre-MK blowback era too. SF2 had a little blood and scrapes and Chun Li, and the other no ladies and all the spatter taken out. I get their religious thing with the lame Oh my car instead of Oh my God! But it just annoyed me, and what made me think more and more it was nothing of Nintendo's own doing was the decade later GBA release of Final Fight One. The Japanese one had the ladies, the blood, the 'god' line too, and the US version again no blood, stickboys, and so on. Just as neutered on the GBA as it was on SNES a decade earlier which is why I'll never own that game except for the JP version (which I have) as it's insulting.

Strawberry (Level 2) bust3dstr8's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alien Vs Predator would of been awesome to see on SNES.
    Clowns Suck

Clowns Suck

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

That is true, but look at the time span between Final Fight and SF2. Not much, and both pre-MK blowback era too. SF2 had a little blood and scrapes and Chun Li, and the other no ladies and all the spatter taken out. I get their religious thing with the lame Oh my car instead of Oh my God! But it just annoyed me, and what made me think more and more it was nothing of Nintendo's own doing was the decade later GBA release of Final Fight One. The Japanese one had the ladies, the blood, the 'god' line too, and the US version again no blood, stickboys, and so on. Just as neutered on the GBA as it was on SNES a decade earlier which is why I'll never own that game except for the JP version (which I have) as it's insulting.
    Instead of comparing it to a much later release (one for a system with a generally young audience, and going for an E rating), you may want to compare it with the SegaCD version, released in the same generation and for Sega with their much more hands off approach towards content.

I don't know how censored that one was just that it actually had two player. I'm only saying it may provide more insight into whether Capcom themselves or Nintendo were more to blame.

NoA was still censoring stuff in the GBA era, like the dancing girl in Final Fantasy 4 Advance not taking her dress off, even though that had been allowed in the localized PSX release. The situation isn't 100% the same, I realize, as NoA actually published the FF4A in America, but it still shows how they found certain things unacceptable that other companies were fine with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Instead of comparing it to a much later release (one for a system with a generally young audience, and going for an E rating), you may want to compare it with the SegaCD version, released in the same generation and for Sega with their much more hands off approach towards content.

I don't know how censored that one was just that it actually had two player. I'm only saying it may provide more insight into whether Capcom themselves or Nintendo were more to blame.

NoA was still censoring stuff in the GBA era, like the dancing girl in Final Fantasy 4 Advance not taking her dress off, even though that had been allowed in the localized PSX release. The situation isn't 100% the same, I realize, as NoA actually published the FF4A in America, but it still shows how they found certain things unacceptable that other companies were fine with.
    Though Sega had the Lady Poison, she still didn't have the short shorts.