Thread: Local Game Store Once Again Overcharging

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Local Game Store Once Again Overcharging

The local game shop I check out just to see the craziness didnt disappointment me today. They had a PS2 loose with 1 controller for $99.99. I figured if this was the case I can sell my Atari 2600 light sixer in box for good money. I was told 15.00 maybe. Gotta love this stuff. I think Ill be selling my boxed Atari 2600 elsewhere. BTW dont wait at 100.00 those PS2s will go fast just you wait .
    Current Collection Stats As Of 12/10/2013 : Cartridges - 206 ( 182 unique titles 24 label variations ) : Cassettes - 21 :

Currently in the market for :

+ Atari 8 bit game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
    + Atari 8 Bit Prototype and Demo cartridges
    + Atari 8 bit manuals and boxes

PM me if you see anything above that you have doubles or interest in getting rid of.

Check out my
    Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at http://www.a8museum.com
    Atari 8-Bit Museum on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/392317377550512/
    And on Ebay under the handle ThePaperVault

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is the owner nuts? that much for a PS2? I thought the craigslist ads in my area were bad. Thats just absurd. He'd probably put that Atari for 199.99 and call it vintage rare. I'm afraid to ask what else he had on for "sale".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DR Mario NES - $15
    NHL 95 SNES - $5
    Alot of items had no tags and was told " the prices change day to day online so we would have to check online" I guess amazon or ebay asking prices ( not completed )
    Current Collection Stats As Of 12/10/2013 : Cartridges - 206 ( 182 unique titles 24 label variations ) : Cassettes - 21 :

Currently in the market for :

+ Atari 8 bit game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
    + Atari 8 Bit Prototype and Demo cartridges
    + Atari 8 bit manuals and boxes

PM me if you see anything above that you have doubles or interest in getting rid of.

Check out my
    Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at http://www.a8museum.com
    Atari 8-Bit Museum on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/392317377550512/
    And on Ebay under the handle ThePaperVault

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

This is the norm, and has been for several years. Classic game stores that sell old stuff overcharge because that model is no longer sustainable when compared to online and digital models. Those stores have additional overhead that they have to makeup that difference in sales.

Buying things from these stores is fine if you're getting something that's $4 or less. But anything of worth usually has a 50%-100% markup from eBay or general buy/sell forums. Eventually, I expect physical game stores to be completely gone and everything will be digital. The only store that might possibly remain is Gamestop because current gen games is generally what the masses want. Now if the store sells in primarily current gen and has new games for sale directly from the manufacturer, then that's a different story. But a physical eBay style store that just sells used games from the 90s? Probably won't be around for very long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Charging those kind of high rates they deserve to be driven out of business. Various members over at NA own game shops and the most successful stories I've read found a decent balance. They give more than your usual 5-15% crap trade in, yet they charge less than the online price in comparable condition so it's worth the buyer to waste the time, money(gas) and effort to come in and buy stuff. And since they also give like 1/3 of the value or sometimes a good bit higher(if it's fast flip) it gets customer goodwill very high so they keep coming back to trade/sell and buy more. To supplement some also have a mini arcade/pinball thing going on, perhaps other goods gaming and food items, tournaments, online access. All these things keep the doors open and well profitable without raping their own base raw and stupid. There's no reason to compete with ebay to be the highest when you can defeat ebay yet still charge enough not to get poached while also giving enough back for turn ins so people are satisfied and bring in more.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Why let it bother you so much? You don't like their prices so you left the store. Good. Why can't you just leave it at that? If they charge more than people will pay they will go out of business all on their own. If someone is willing to pay what they charge, well, then they have every right to charge that much. It's called freedom.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Physical stores will continue to exist for quite some time unless the store is run by morons in which case, well, yeah they won't make it. Now the stores will be small and find niche places to exist where the rent is low, but they'll be there. Too much crap goes on online in the collectible arena for it to ever completely replace physical stores.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theres a small game store near me that has been in business for a good 20 years I know, I first started going there when I was in 7th grade (in my 30s now). It was the best place to get deals for years until recently I went in there a couple of times and the place has been taken over by magic cards all the games and systems are pretty much buried under a mountain of Magic the Gathering cards and when you ask to look at the games the people behind the counter look at you like your crazy or stupid. Its a shame too because they had large storage tubs full of systems I got a Sega Genesis with the Sega CD attachment for $15.00 last summer.