Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else have "situational game burnout?"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    At the risk of sounding apocryphal, I honestly don't get why B:TAS is always held up as if it was somehow so awesome. For the most part its just as corny and cheesy as many eighties cartoons. It had some neat stylistic choices, but it felt to me like a show that put up the front of being dark and serious without actually following through in the writing department.

The episode "Zatanna" is a good example.
    I don't know either, but it's the best example I could give, of what I know others to hold in high regard. Expecting something that was never there is what I figure happens, hell it happened to me maybe 10 years ago, and gets articles like this written:
    http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2014/05...were-terrible/

I mean there's a point at the end, but until you get there, it just sounds like a bunch of bitching about how they aren't what's expected of animation now.

I wonder if anime has influence on how some people look at western animation as well.

Might have to try that racing game thing. Was never really interested beyond being able to shoot at/otherwise mess with the other racers though, and that kind of goes back to what I was saying about human nature demanding more. Exploring something you're not overly familiar with.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

At the risk of sounding apocryphal, I honestly don't get why B:TAS is always held up as if it was somehow so awesome. For the most part its just as corny and cheesy as many eighties cartoons. It had some neat stylistic choices, but it felt to me like a show that put up the front of being dark and serious without actually following through in the writing department.

The episode "Zatanna" is a good example.
    The reason is see most often is "it's not crap". And given the number of cartoons cranked out in the early 90s that were basically crap, I can understand where they're coming from. For me, I liked it because it actually have a story that remembered it was a story and acknowledged that I understood what a story was. I've posted about this before, but I had been used to cartoons that treated me like an idiot, not understanding the lofty concepts of continuity and progression. B:TAS was one of the first ones I can remember seeing that treated me like an engaged viewer, not a box to be filled with noises. Other cartoons did this before and after B:TAS, but B:TAS is my normal go to when explaining what I just typed out because it's one cartoon I know just about everyone has seen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lessons I learned during the past 8+ years I've been playing SNES pretty consistently:

-Never force the issue. If you don't feel it, you just don't feel it. Forcing yourself is the easiest way to prolong or worsen your feeling of burnout

-Take a break. Come back to it when you're mentally up for it

I'll give a specific example. I got stuck on Final Fantasy V after playing it for 12 hours. I got stuck on this boss that absolutely kicked my ass. I started playing another RPG, even finishing it, while shoving FFV off to the backburner. Eventually, the urge to retry hit, and on that first playthrough I managed to beat the boss that gave me hell. It spurred me on and I finished the game in the following week or two.

Sometimes you just need to switch it up. And never, ever force the issue.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
    I wonder if anime has influence on how some people look at western animation as well.
    Oh, it definitely does. A lot of the problems I have with western animation now I wouldn't have noticed before I had anime as a point of comparison.

As for racing games, I've learned that there's basically two types (three if you count "party racers" like Mario Kart)... "Arcade Racers" (or as I call them, Ridge Racer-style) and "Realistic" (Gran Turismo style). I've found that I personally can't get the hang of Gran Turismo. It's not a bad game, just seems like there's all this subtle stuff you have to keep up with (seriously you have to pass tests on using your brakes etc. to get licensed for races, and even in the arcade mode I find the cars spin out far too easily).

Granted, the latter apparently has its fans, so its worth giving a try out to (and even I haven't given up), but it might be worth trying Ridge Racer first.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

my burn outs tend to be related to money and how much I have but not in the manner you might think

Example:

last month things were REALLY bad financially, the cut hours at work had finally caught up to us and we had been proactive and cut out things and really tightened the belts. I came across so many things I wanted that if I bought would have completely screwed my ability to pay my bills, infact I had to even defer a payment on my truck it was that bad. there was a game store closing down and I wanted to go in and load up but I couldn't. I went and checked it out, even asked the guys if they had any broken stuff they'd sell and they just told me to take it (i'll post in the finds thread) but there were so many games I wanted.

now this month its MUCH better.
    we have fewer bills because we sold my wifes old car finally, paid off the truck with it and I took another car I wasn't driving off of insurance since the 6 month term was up so that's like $200 less that we don't have to deal with this month. on top of that we are getting a small bonus from work (about $75) holiday pay and I get a raise on my next check and I still have a little bit in my bank from all that budgeting from the shitty month.

i'm in NO mood to buy games or even play them really, I did buy Mario kart 8 but I had set aside for that and its a fun game and I like it I've found it hard to play because I worry I spent too much and sent my self down the hole again, even though I know I haven't

so now I have money but there isn't any thing I want to do with games because I am still in panic mode with finances even though I shouldn't be

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Speaking of money, on a related note, I sometimes find I suffer from a sort of "Buyer's Remorse."

It mostly happens when I buy movies, cartoons, or anime though. What happens is, I buy one, and it sucks, so I feel like I wasted money. For that reason I become stingy on the rebound. Like case in point, I thought of collecting the Batman TAS box sets, but considering I kinda didn't like the show last time I watched it, I always feel the offered prices (usually $15-$30 per DVD set) are just too expensive. $5 per set though would be just low enough that I'd feel it worth picking up no matter how little I thought of it.

With video games this doesn't happen as often, since I tend to find a little enjoyment even in the worst games, but then the recent trend of price-jacking becomes an issue. There was a Color Dreams game called Metal Walker which I almost picked up, but the store wanted $20 for it. I'm not paying $20 for a Color Dreams game, even if it does seem like one of their more interesting releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GNJMSTR

Not a single Pac-Man, Pengo, Centi/Millipede, Tetris...light gun, pinball, fighting/wrestling, sport, or racing game in your collection?
    I'm slacking on that part of my collection. I sold a ton of stuff to move to Colorado. I don't even think I have an "Arcade's Greatest Hits" game.
    I do have racing games. But I still end up putting a lot of time into those. (like the avatar shows) I think F-Zero X is my best game to pick up and leave alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    -Never force the issue. If you don't feel it, you just don't feel it. Forcing yourself is the easiest way to prolong or worsen your feeling of burnout
    I think I did this last night with Lunar: Eternal Blue.
    I also feel like I'm forcing myself when I sit in front of my collection just staring at everything looking for something. Then if I see something I always get turned off by how long its going to take me to stop playing (without a time limit).

Quote Originally Posted by GNJMSTR View Post
    I just got over my 4-5 day burnout (after finishing Lunar: Silver Star), and am starting Lunar: Eternal Blue. So, I may try this "time limit" theory and see if I go right into another 60 hour game or get the "burnout".
    Oh yeah. I haven't tried this yet!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Something I've had a problem with recently:
    ...but when I get killed and have to re-play a level, I tend to just turn it off.

I have quit playing so many games for this reason. Especially with RPGs, if I die too far along from my last save point, chances are I'll just say fuck it and turn it off. I'm really a very lazy gamer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wouldn't call it lazy in either case, it's more of a low tolerance for bullshit in whatever form. One is from the old throwback mainstay of if you're lucky a half point, if not, do the whole stage over sucker because our game isn't very long and your torture will lengthen the play time of your adventure. The other is just getting pissed off at losing time, losing effort, experience, possible item/gear gains over some stupid crap and not wanting to re-do the last 1-2hours all over again immediately. It's better to walk away in either case and not end up hating the hell out of it and just not coming back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GNJMSTR

I like to just press power on my Sega CD and just sit around listening to the music and watching the screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not a single Pac-Man, Pengo, Centi/Millipede, Tetris, Columns, Dr. Robtonik's Mean Bean Machine/Kirby's Avalanche, Dr. Mario, Klax, Mr. Driller, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Galaxian/Galaga/Gaplus, Gyrus, Flicky, Frogger, Donkey Kong(non-Country), Kung Fu Master(or without the "Master" on the NES), Joust, Missile Command, Mr. Do, Dig Dug, Tapper, City Connection, Burger Time, Arkanoid, Solomon's Key/Fire'n Ice, Marble Madness, Mario Bros., Q*Bert, Qix, Rampart, Bomberman, Paper Boy, Zoop, Space Harrier, light gun, pinball, fighting/wrestling, sport, or racing game in your collection?

Particularly the genre's at the end, and puzzlers would help out a lot.
    This. With a wife and three kids I get about 30 min of game time a day (sometimes more on the weekend) I stick to puzzlers, space shooters, and platformers. I'm working my way through Adventures of Lolo and Kickle Cubicle right now. I have no time for RPGs.
    Last edited by Flam; 06-03-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never for gaming period, only for particular games.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."