Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing a game outside of its intended purpose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Base Wars on the NES- I figured out I could win the game by "disqualifying" the opposing team by repeatedly beaning their batters over and over again until enough of them blew up.

Beach Head II on the C64- I use to enjoy writing words with the machine gun torrent on the stage where one side parachutes troops and tries to make it across the screen to where the gun torrent is holding down its position.

Rampage on the NES- For whatever reason I recall trying to prolong a stage indefinitely by eating the dynamite planting soldiers and thus defending the buildings. Perhaps, and I can't recall the motivation all these years later, I was purposely exasperating the monotony of the game by stretching it by my own volition.

I know that on the big two N64 FPS games (Golden Eye and Perfect Dark), I use to enjoy combing over every square inch of the boards, figuring out what I could shoot/break.

On more than a few games involving flight, I've enjoyed purposely crashing my aircraft.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I haven't really gone down this direction in a long time, time being why. But I remember playing the hell out of some older flight games screwing around trying to see what I could if I kept flying or did missions out of order in stuff like Wing Commander and the old Tie and X-Wing fighter games. Sometimes things would get interesting as stuff would further pop up or drop out of an area. Before we had guides and such even in old NES games if it were open enough like in Crystalis or stuff like even a SMB3 like title I'd try and roll around the fringes of the map to explore which was kind of outside the normal, and sometimes the designers would put rewards or funny junk to the side for those who bothered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like super mario 64 and the green demon challenge? You get a green mushroom to follow you on a course and you do your best to get all the red coins without the green one up mushroom touching you Its become a challenge since the green mushroom follows you everywhere even thru walls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4GKsg66MBo
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I can think of so many, but I used to like to do trick moves in Bionic Commando to make Radd jump. I forget how, but it involved a turbo fire controller.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I haven't done this yet, but I like the idea of playing all the Suikoden games with the least amount of characters as possible. The intention is supposed to be to get them all or as many as you can if you're a novice, but I'd like to see how hard the games are if you go out of your way to make sure you get nothing but the bare minimum in your group. I don't mean getting random war casualties on purpose. Just not recruiting any optional characters. That would be difficult not having an inn, vault or item shop in the castle.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 1080

I always used to play 1080 for the Nintendo 64 to try and land on the house on one of the stages.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ran an online league with Fire Pro D on Dreamcast. That went for years. Good memories with that.

Mario Kart DS has what I always wanted in a Mario game... A random mode. You could set up the options to have random races and choose 99 of them, which would result in a random assortment of tracks until you got bored. No game since did that. I would love a regular Mario game to have a random stage option.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NASCAR Racing PC 1995 for DOS. We called it "Demolition Nascar." The object was to drive 1 lap the opposite direction of all the other cars. Hit the pack head on. The one who totaled the most racing cars won. We did this for hours at a time. Good times!

Just a note but... I STILL do this! I mean, who hasn't? lol

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
    We used to play 1942 and when your plane got shot down, we'd immediately stop the game and switch to ikari warriors. If you recall when you start ikari warriors a plane crash lands in a jungle and you proceed on foot.
    That's pretty awesome, actually.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hahah hell yeah Yago, what a flashback. I did that too on that old DOS release from Papyrus as that nascar game was excellent for doing reverse demoition derby laps seeing how much I could cripple the car until it failed. It was amusing doing 3 wheel runs on the course while it lasted.