Thread: Need high quality replacement laser assembly for PSX

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need high quality replacement laser assembly for PSX

So, I managed to buy three PSX consoles that don't work. I'm rather frustrated, because two of them were assured by their owners to work. And yes, I've tried lubricating the gears. I even managed to break a ribbon cable on one of them.

I used to see replacement ones online quite a bit. But replacement parts aren't always that great (i.e. some N64 replacement sticks cause input lag, others have too much mechanical play to them). Anyone with experience know which ones are worthwhile?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

generally ones out of dead systmes that wont boot.
    I find this odd, I've never not been able to resurrect a PSX laser

edit:
    so I am going to elaborate on this since I am not on my phone any more.
    I like fixing a lot of these game consoles, I get em cheap, fix them up clean em and save them from a land fill, if theres some one out there looking for a cheap system I can usually beat any ones price because I don't have a whole lot invested (roughly $8-$10 depending on system) and I sell them off usually for around $35. some times with, some times without a game, depends on what I have on hand. often times i'll use them to trade for other games too. they think they are getting an awesome deal on a NES because its been established as old and hip and likewise quite spendy, and I get what ever oddity they want the NES for that I want....just as an example.

I hit up this place and occasionally buy console only lots like this one:
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-16660912.html

PSX is an easy one to get going, buy a lot, they usually go for cheap, shipping can be a bear depending on where the items coming from in releation to your house.
    its easy because the power cord is just a cord, not even polarized, and the a/v cables are super easy to find ever since most people started just tossing their SD cables with the PS3, find a lot of new ones at thrifts for a buck.

since you already have a system with a funky laser, its not much of a risk to buy the lot, swap a laser or just use one of these that work and sell off the rest as systems with cords and controllers for cheap and you'll probably come out ahead and get your PSX working.

theres not going to be any better than OEM in this case, and sure theres wear on these systems but not all lasers burn out or go wacky, some of them just keep going like they were brand new.
    and for $6.99 plus shipping its pretty low risk.

shipping to my house for these 5 systems is $24, but I am also in Oregon almost a whole country away
    Last edited by Niku-Sama; 06-01-2014 at 10:41 PM.