Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Since I've started to play some older RPGs on NES and SNES, this collection list gave me some ideas of what I want to play next. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've never even heard of a bunch of these. Are Arkista's Ring and Castlequest rare or something?

It occurs to me that King's Knight should qualify if some of those other ones do.
    Last edited by Jorpho; 06-03-2014 at 11:08 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

FYI Gremlins 2 isn't an RPG. It's an Action Platformer.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I've never even heard of a bunch of these. Are Arkista's Ring and Castlequest rare or something?
    ~700 North American releases for the NES and both major 4th generation consoles, a lot is going to slip through the cracks, and go unnoticed.

Add to the fact that these games/genres were always niche, no matter how much lip service the internet gives them. Zelda sold the best out of everything here, and even those games have never been in the league of Tetris or the Mario series(even Mario Kart has always outsold Zelda games). The best selling RPG's sold to ~2-7% of all console owners during this period of time. The ones selling to 3-7% mostly being because they were a little more popular in Japan, but were never going to see those kinds of numbers in North America.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
    ~700 North American releases for the NES and both major 4th generation consoles, a lot is going to slip through the cracks, and go unnoticed.

Add to the fact that these games/genres were always niche, no matter how much lip service the internet gives them. Zelda sold the best out of everything here, and even those games have never been in the league of Tetris or the Mario series(even Mario Kart has always outsold Zelda games). The best selling RPG's sold to ~2-7% of all console owners during this period of time. The ones selling to 3-7% mostly being because they were a little more popular in Japan, but were never going to see those kinds of numbers in North America.
    I hate some RPGs because you have to figure out for yourself where to go just to get any more than 1% of the way through the game. Other types of games (and good RPGs) it's instantly obvious where you need to go. Super Mario 64, jump into paintings. You'll stumble upon where the stars are if you tinker around with it. Sonic, follow the map. Ditto for 2D Mario. Elder Scrolls Oblivion, you get directions pointed out to you. But some RPGs - and some other games period - make you figure it out, and fuuuuuk that. Of course, many other non RPG games such as Sonic 06 are the same way. Of course, fuuuuuk that whole game. Then again, I love some RPGs.

As for fuuuuuk, it was in the credits of the Master System Space Harrier. The art director was listed as "FUUUUUK"
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    I hate some RPGs because you have to figure out for yourself where to go just to get any more than 1% of the way through the game. Other types of games (and good RPGs) it's instantly obvious where you need to go. Super Mario 64, jump into paintings. You'll stumble upon where the stars are if you tinker around with it. Sonic, follow the map. Ditto for 2D Mario. Elder Scrolls Oblivion, you get directions pointed out to you. But some RPGs - and some other games period - make you figure it out, and fuuuuuk that. Of course, many other non RPG games such as Sonic 06 are the same way. Of course, fuuuuuk that whole game. Then again, I love some RPGs.

As for fuuuuuk, it was in the credits of the Master System Space Harrier. The art director was listed as "FUUUUUK"
    Most of the time online I hear the opposite, where people are tired of all the hand-holding present in newer games.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post

Add to the fact that these games/genres were always niche, no matter how much lip service the internet gives them.
    Actually, it is because of the Internet's lazorlike scrutiny of all things RPG that I am surprised there are corners of the tiny niche that are unilluminated.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Updated the lists with Master System and Genesis. Could use some help categorizing some of that other section. :/

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Just making an observation. It's Wizardry 5 Heart of the Maelstrom, not 6. I think you're mistaking the guard of the sword for another roman numeral.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I envy you so much Daria. I've wanted Uncharted Waters and New Horizons since 5th grade, but don't have money to spend on the collection like I used to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSerpico View Post
    ...but don't have money to spend on the collection like I used to
    Honestly, neither do I. I haven't been working since I had my son almost a year ago, and I'm going to school full time. Funds are beyond tight at my house, and it seems to get worse every year.

But hey I got games to play *thumbs up cheesy smile*

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm loving this collection. I wish I had half of what you have here, especially in this condition. Looking forward to seeing the sega cd + saturn collections.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Which one is next to Crystalis in the picture? I can't read the title due to the glare.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    Which one is next to Crystalis in the picture? I can't read the title due to the glare.
    Looks like Arkista's Ring to me.

@Daria - Seconding what someone above me said: Heart of the Maelstron is Wizardry V, not VI. You are indeed mistaking the sword guard for a numeral (it happens to the best of us).

Wizardry VI was called Bane of the Cosmic Forge and the SFC version was Japan-only. Are you collecting Super Famicom games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great collection Daria! You've got some SNES RPGs I still have on my wish list...not many though.

I need to buy a copy of Piers Solar someday.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Yeah, I was listing titles while looking at the photos. So the sword guard did indeed magically morph into an extra roman numeral. Thanks for pointing that out, ill fix that next time Im sitting at a real computer. I probably should have noticed sooner, but honestly, not a big Wizardry fan - or of dungeon crawlers in general.

Only SFC games I collect are translated ROMs on my wii.
    Last edited by Daria; 06-11-2014 at 07:18 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Updated with Sega CD/Saturn games. I think I may actually have them all (not that there's many).

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I know at least one Sega CD RPG you're missing: Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep. I didn't see that in your collection.

(I thought it was a PC port over since the original Dungeon Master was a PC game, but apparently the Sega CD version is actually the original and the PC version is the port. Of course, that was on Wikipedia so I don't know if that's bull or not...)

Random fact: There's at least one Dungeon Master game (Chaos Strikes Back) which was PC only, so you can never get the complete series on consoles alone (and the fifth and final installment was Japan-only, for the Saturn).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I know at least one Sega CD RPG you're missing: Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep. I didn't see that in your collection.
    It's there, right next to Eye of the Beholder, except I typoed out the II. Opps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Darlin' Daria - You might want to look at Revengers of Vengeance for the Sega Cd - a truly awful game (the only one I can think of that was worse was King Arthur and the Knights of Justice for the SNES) but it did have an rpg mode of sorts - it is pretty obscure (as such things go) and was a weird hybrid game that didn't do much of any of its modes very well.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!