Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Pico Variants

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It's also a pretty decent selling strategy as well. Garner attention for the entire collection, then take offers on individual units. Get the money and the attention.
    Last edited by JSoup; 06-05-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this is also one of those cases where selling as a lot will actually make more money than selling as individual lots. I mean, aside from the complete 3DO, Sega Saturn and Sega CD sets, is there anything remarkable about this lot? Scanning through the list of games, I noted that the NES collection lacks common titles like Super Mario Bros 2 and 3, the Sega Genesis set is missing Sonic 3. There's a lot of filler in this collection. Just going off SNES stuff (233 games), you don't see common, but expensive games like Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 2 and 3, Yoshi's Island, etc. This collection is made up of a lot of common, inexpensive games (e.g. sports games, kids games) for a large number of systems, and is heavily weighted with games from consoles that are PS1 to present.

Personally, I still see this as being a publicity stunt. If someone was buying this to resell, I could hardly see it being worth the time.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think some of you are underestimating the value 'largest collection in the world' brings in terms of value. People will pay large premiums for status symbols. Certainly more then any single rare game is worth. Busting up the collection is foolish, when the collection itself, not the individual games in the collection , is the where the attraction lies.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Busting up the collection is foolish, when the collection itself, not the individual games in the collection , is the where the attraction lies.
    Depends on who you're selling to. Selling to collectors? Any with that kind of money to burn probably already has an established connection and, as badinsults pointed out, lots of common stuffs in there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    I think some of you are underestimating the value 'largest collection in the world' brings in terms of value. People will pay large premiums for status symbols. Certainly more then any single rare game is worth. Busting up the collection is foolish, when the collection itself, not the individual games in the collection , is the where the attraction lies.
    Calling this the worlds largest video game collection is dishonest at best. I'm sure that Joe Santulli and DreamTR, for instance, have thousands more unique games than this guy. Though like I said, this collection would be worth less if it was broken up, because there is a lot of filler. Don't get me wrong, having 11,000 games is highly impressive, and I can only imagine the amount of time and money required to acquire this. But is this collection worth as much as say, a complete, boxed NES collection? I very much doubt it.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    thestraightedge

Everyone is discussing if this is the biggest collection in the world. I also think it is not. I know of at least one guy personally with around 15.000 individial games. However: this one here was confirmed by the Guiness Book of World Records. Every collector has the chance to call them, have their collection counted and dethrone Michael. However, if nobody does, this remains the biggest Collection in the world as confirmed by the Guiness Book. Thats all, and its good for marketing.

Therefore, critizising the "quality" of the collection is quite useless as this never was part of the Record.

Last but not least: everyone may have his/her opinion on Game Gravel, but reading alligations that Michael only is seeking attention while he actually seems to have a legit, quite sad cause by trying to pay for the medical bills of his family made me sad. Everyone can advice him how he could do it better, but the allegations of "attention seeking" in contrast to the sad reason "life saving" made me feel uncomfortable. It feels disrespectful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Depends on who you're selling to. Selling to collectors? Any with that kind of money to burn probably already has an established connection and, as badinsults pointed out, lots of common stuffs in there.
    I would think some with that kind of money to burn would probably have been spending his time doing other things than amassing a video game collection. I agree that this doesn't seem too outlandish.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phil_consollection View Post
    Everyone is discussing if this is the biggest collection in the world. I also think it is not. I know of at least one guy personally with around 15.000 individial games. However: this one here was confirmed by the Guiness Book of World Records. Every collector has the chance to call them, have their collection counted and dethrone Michael. However, if nobody does, this remains the biggest Collection in the world as confirmed by the Guiness Book. Thats all, and its good for marketing.

Therefore, critizising the "quality" of the collection is quite useless as this never was part of the Record.

Last but not least: everyone may have his/her opinion on Game Gravel, but reading alligations that Michael only is seeking attention while he actually seems to have a legit, quite sad cause by trying to pay for the medical bills of his family made me sad. Everyone can advice him how he could do it better, but the allegations of "attention seeking" in contrast to the sad reason "life saving" made me feel uncomfortable. It feels disrespectful.
    Actually, as at least one collector with a mega collection noted a few months back, Guiness refused to return his calls and e-mails. They are essentially a marketing company and have little interest in constantly updating this or most of their other records.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I would think some with that kind of money to burn would probably have been spending his time doing other things than amassing a video game collection. I agree that this doesn't seem too outlandish.
    I was referring to collectors having money to burn. It's not unheard of for people to spend a tidy sum on a small pile of games. *points at Nintendo Age*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Uh, who's this guy again?

No, really. Does he have a recognizable online handle like most other collectors (big and small) do?
    I don't know, maybe you should bother to read a thread you responded to numerous times?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Double Ugly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Actually, as at least one collector with a mega collection noted a few months back, Guiness refused to return his calls and e-mails. They are essentially a marketing company and have little interest in constantly updating this or most of their other records.
    How is this relevant? The collection is listed as the Guinness world record holder for the largest video game which is correct, IT IS the Guinness world record holder. No where does it say "this is the largest video game collection in the world". It is not the sellers fault that Guinness doesn't care about someone else taking the record. This should not even be a talking point.

His reasons for selling are his own & should not matter to anyone else. He already stated why he doesn't want to put it on ebay (a very good reason assuming it is accurate) so what's so wrong will selling it on game gavel? A lot of the people that would be interested in buying the collection will at least know what game gavel is. If he put it there to get some exposure for game gavel then big whoop! If game gavel was popular it would be really great for the collecting community no matter how you personally feel about the owner.

If you boycott game gavel (something that would be good for collecting) just because you don't like someone on the other side of the internet then you are a selfish, close-minded individual.

Yes you have every right to have a personal problem with the person selling his collection the way he sees best, but if your reasons are stupid & petty then Please don't share them. If you have a legitimate concern about how this will negatively effect someone then by all means tell us.
    Last edited by Double Ugly; 06-06-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have the world record collection of video games.
    You have a family.
    You've never made more than 30K in one year.
    I feel there are some priority issues here that are only new being addressed.
    I highly doubt he's only making 30k a year, especially if he's a professor. Playing the sympathy card is common among these people who have gotten ahead. I think you all need to start realizing that there are people out there taking advantage of you.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Yay! Lets sit around and make personal assumptions about people we don't know but have similar interests as us except also have more games/money/luck/etc than us. [insert angry remark and half-cocked conspiracy theory here].

Sometimes I wonder why threads like these turn out so venomous. Then I remember that DP is currently populated by a bunch of curmudgeons.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Ugly View Post
    How is this relevant? The collection is listed as the Guinness world record holder for the largest video game which is correct, IT IS the Guinness world record holder. No where does it say "this is the largest video game collection in the world". It is not the sellers fault that Guinness doesn't care about someone else taking the record. This should not even be a talking point.

His reasons for selling are his own & should not matter to anyone else. He already stated why he doesn't want to put it on ebay (a very good reason assuming it is accurate) so what's so wrong will selling it on game gavel? A lot of the people that would be interested in buying the collection will at least know what game gavel is. If he put it there to get some exposure for game gavel then big whoop! If game gavel was popular it would be really great for the collecting community no matter how you personally feel about the owner.

If you boycott game gavel (something that would be good for collecting) just because you don't like someone on the other side of the internet then you are a selfish, close-minded individual.

Yes you have every right to have a personal problem with the person selling his collection the way he sees best, but if your reasons are stupid & petty then Please don't share them. If you have a legitimate concern about how this will negatively effect someone then by all means tell us.
    It's relevant because the seller has spent the last year touting this award as somehow credible and relevant. Potential buyers can make up their own mind, but I would be embarrassed to keep touting my collection as the largest in the world when I knew with a great deal of certainty that it's not. You also don't get to decide what is and isn't a "talking point" for people on this forum or anywhere else. It's been brought up to the "record holder" before and his position is that anyone can do the same thing he did, but it's pretty clear that Guiness won't allow that to happen so from my perspective, it makes the record worthless.

As for Game Gavel and it's owner, you can't separate one from the other. The guy spends large amounts of time spamming up message boards touting it as some kind of Ebay alternative when the reality is that it has a tiny amount of traffic and none of the safety or protection of Ebay. Indeed, for a buyer there is zero advantage to buying on Game Gavel versus Ebay and in fact, with Ebay and Paypal programs like Ebay Bucks, it is actually more beneficial for buyers to buy on Ebay. The fact that Ebay regularly sides with buyers in disputes and refunds their money is another benefit Game Gavel doesn't provide. In fact, early on a fraudulent seller from Ebay was banned by Ebay and moved over to Game Gavel and when myself and others brought this to SoCalMike's attention, he basically told us he wouldn't do anything because the guy hadn't done anything fraudulent at Game Gavel yet. The reality is that Game Gavel provides nothing to the collector or gamer community and frankly, sellers are better off selling on Ebay for high end items because of the exposure and selling on forums for more common items as it avoids fees other than perhaps Paypal.

As for your other points, while I agree that it really is none of anyone's business why the owner chooses to sell his collection, there is nothing wrong with people discussing whether or not there are better ways to sell a collection like this. If he doesn't want the scrutiny, he doesn't need to post on public forums or seek media attention. He could have just tried to sell it privately to avoid all the attention.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NinSEGA View Post
    I highly doubt he's only making 30k a year, especially if he's a professor. Playing the sympathy card is common among these people who have gotten ahead. I think you all need to start realizing that there are people out there taking advantage of you.
    Oh, look who's back. The guy that continually makes false claims about things and then disappears when he's asked to support his claims. Still waiting on proof that Battle Frenzy is unlicensed. Since you're spreading more of your lies, there are plenty of professors who make very little money. I know when I taught at a community college, it was a part-time gig and I was lucky if I made $10K from teaching for two semesters of one class each.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 06-06-2014 at 12:41 PM.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by NinSEGA View Post
    I don't know, maybe you should bother to read a thread you responded to numerous times?
    ... I'd like to know why you're not banned first.

Regarding the validity of the collection: Eh, it's cool that Guinness recognized it, but someone else will eventually pop up with a bigger collection - same as with any other Guinness record, someone gets it, someone else tries to break it. So it's cool that he got recognized for his efforts. There's no need to pour hate on the guy for trying to sell his collection, especially if he's doing it to cover family expenses.

But if he's doing it for publicity reasons.... carry on. ;p
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 06-06-2014 at 12:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I know when I taught at a community college, it was a part-time gig and I was lucky if I made $10K from teaching for two semesters of one class each.
    Not surprising. "Instructor" and "Professor" carry different legal weights, community colleges tend to go with Instructor for that reason. At least that's what the three closest ones to me do.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not surprising. "Instructor" and "Professor" carry different legal weights, community colleges tend to go with Instructor for that reason. At least that's what the three closest ones to me do.
    Yes, I was an instructor as were most of the part-time staff although I think most people just call anyone that teaches at a college a "professor" even though you're right that it has a very specific definition and it's considered fairly prestigious to be a full professor at a legitimate school.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First of all, it's not spamming when you personally know, are friends with and have the approval of the site owners, all of which apply in my case. And I've always reciprocated and promoted the forums I use as well so its mutually beneficial. As far as promoting auctions to forums, I do that as a service to sellers to drive more people to their auctions (would eBay spend the time to do that?), especially if they are noteworthy auctions that people would want to learn about. And, on top of that I haven't promoted an auction in any forums for quite some time. I really don't need to do it as much anymore since we have continued to grow.

Second, not one person has been scammed on GameGavel. It happened one time, the guy was ejected and I paid back the buyers who were scammed the money they lost as a result of it personally. And I worked with authorities to have the guy thrown in jail, which he was -- he was doing this on a variety of smaller marketplaces. As far as buyer AND seller protection it is obviously taken quite seriously, especially with high profile auctions such as this. All new bidders are called and screened. I highly doubt eBay does this. On top of that we are well connected with gaming media sites and also help promote auctions like this through these channels -- something eBay wouldn't do. This would be just another auction to them and we are grateful that Michael chose to list his collection here on GG. I think Michael can attest to getting lots of support on this. Currently the auction is about to cross 100K (edit: crossed 100K) views and current high bidder is Oculus Rift creator, Palmer Luckey.

To top it all off, GameGavel has a great track record for the listing AND selling of top-shelf items such as the two Atari Air Raids, Atari Red Sea Crossing and the Goodwill discovered Stadium Events.

To anyone else I've personally offended through by swap meet dealings, I am sorry. But, I am no different than anyone else hunting for games at these weekend So Cal swap meets. You forget that these vendors are constantly over charging buyers for games with known characters like Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, etc. There have been times where I've not negotiated with the seller and accepted their prices outright. And the scenario above where I asked to drop from $50 to $5 never happened unless it really WAS a $5 item. And none of these sellers are gamers or even remotely connected with the hobby. They are there selling a variety of things and everything they sell, the buyer talks them down. I have done nothing but consistently shuffle thousands of dollars through these people over the years.

Most of the items and deals I find at the swap meet that don't make into my collection are passed on to other gamers either on GameGavel (see http://www.gamegavel.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000951361 ) or are raffled off at various gaming expos for a $1/ticket and the winner picks his/her prize. I have given away Vectrex systems for $1 and tons of other rare and expensive games and items in this fashion. If any of you have seen me at SC3 or even CGE you might have enjoyed one of these raffles as all in attendance do and appreciate.

Anyway, I won't be chiming in anymore as I have more important things to deal with. Carry on.

It's relevant because the seller has spent the last year touting this award as somehow credible and relevant. Potential buyers can make up their own mind, but I would be embarrassed to keep touting my collection as the largest in the world when I knew with a great deal of certainty that it's not. You also don't get to decide what is and isn't a "talking point" for people on this forum or anywhere else. It's been brought up to the "record holder" before and his position is that anyone can do the same thing he did, but it's pretty clear that Guiness won't allow that to happen so from my perspective, it makes the record worthless.

As for Game Gavel and it's owner, you can't separate one from the other. The guy spends large amounts of time spamming up message boards touting it as some kind of Ebay alternative when the reality is that it has a tiny amount of traffic and none of the safety or protection of Ebay. Indeed, for a buyer there is zero advantage to buying on Game Gavel versus Ebay and in fact, with Ebay and Paypal programs like Ebay Bucks, it is actually more beneficial for buyers to buy on Ebay. The fact that Ebay regularly sides with buyers in disputes and refunds their money is another benefit Game Gavel doesn't provide. In fact, early on a fraudulent seller from Ebay was banned by Ebay and moved over to Game Gavel and when myself and others brought this to SoCalMike's attention, he basically told us he wouldn't do anything because the guy hadn't done anything fraudulent at Game Gavel yet. The reality is that Game Gavel provides nothing to the collector or gamer community and frankly, sellers are better off selling on Ebay for high end items because of the exposure and selling on forums for more common items as it avoids fees other than perhaps Paypal.

As for your other points, while I agree that it really is none of anyone's business why the owner chooses to sell his collection, there is nothing wrong with people discussing whether or not there are better ways to sell a collection like this. If he doesn't want the scrutiny, he doesn't need to post on public forums or seek media attention. He could have just tried to sell it privately to avoid all the attention.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    thestraightedge

I understand. So he got lucky and HIS calls were returned while others were not. Feel free to blame the Guiness Company for not being professional, but don't blame him because he was lucky and got the certificate.

I don't care much about the discussions surrounding Game Gavel - but approaching the seller on the most personal level (which you did not, but others did), without really knowing anything, is something I don't like. I know, thats what the internet is made for, but even after 20 years, I am still not used to it. Okay, saying his collection is crap and that there are bigger collection - I would not care much. But reading the "attention seeker"-claim and then seeing the "medical bill"-cause (which I have not reason to not believe right now, although someone will say again "he is taking advantage of you") made me really feel uncomfortable just by observing it.

I will never get used to the constant negativity that surrounds situations like this. Its history repeating every time something like this pops up, not only here.