Thread: Sony Trinitron PVM-20M2MDE 20"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sony Trinitron PVM-20M2MDE 20"

Hello Gents,
    Recently I stumbled upon this CRT monitor for around 110$ http://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Sony-...er_id=11749118 . As you can see in the picture it is in good condition. So I was wondering, is this thing worth that money and what's the difference in the models with last letter E and last letter U?
    I was also wondering how can I connect Sega Genesis or Sony Playstation 1? RCA to BNC connectors or do I need to find a way to connect consoles via RGB? Also, is there any way I could connect it to the PC and have a great picture from emulators?
    Regards,
    Armor Harmer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those are the medical model, they should be pretty good. Not sure if this one is a High definition model.

The thing is that it is hard to tell how nice it really is, as with all CRT. Uptime hours are important, If it has a lot of runtime, picture can become soft.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWar View Post
    Those are the medical model, they should be pretty good. Not sure if this one is a High definition model.

The thing is that it is hard to tell how nice it really is, as with all CRT. Uptime hours are important, If it has a lot of runtime, picture can become soft.
    Thanks Max!
    I guess that it's better to purchase medical model than the one that has been on TV stations.
    http://www.videosystemer.com/images/...ch%29%20VS.pdf is the manual of that model. I cannot see from this if this is a High Definition or not. It was around 170$ in local ads, and I made a deal with a man to get it for aroun 110$.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It says 600 tv lines.

I think the High resolution ones have 800-1000 lines and have the HR logo at the top left corner.
    So that would mean it is not a HR but It is still a very nice monitor.
    110$ for a medical PVM, I would totally do it, especially around my parts where they are hard to get.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

100% percent depends on picture quality.

If it has a lot of hours (like the machine was on 24/7) it will be really bad and pretty much worthless.

Connect something to it before you buy it and make sure it's still good.
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rittwage View Post
    100% percent depends on picture quality.

If it has a lot of hours (like the machine was on 24/7) it will be really bad and pretty much worthless.

Connect something to it before you buy it and make sure it's still good.
    Hello guys,
    I brought this baby home. It was made in 99 and used by gynecologist
    Works like a charm, now with composite, I do not have RGB-S to scart, only RGB, but I was wondering if I still can use it without sync? Tried to connect it to DVD with that setup - doesn't work, but composite works. Maybe DVD can't output rgb? Or I should get a new cable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by armorharmer View Post
    Hello guys,
    Works like a charm, now with composite, I do not have RGB-S to scart, only RGB, but I was wondering if I still can use it without sync? Tried to connect it to DVD with that setup - doesn't work, but composite works. Maybe DVD can't output rgb? Or I should get a new cable?
    If your DVD player doesn't output RGB then there is no way you're going to get the signal. You may be confusing the component on your DVD player with RGB, they have the same color plugs but are different specs. RGB does require sync, in many cases composite sync will work fine though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by armorharmer View Post
    Hello guys,

Definitely get the RGB adapter thing for this. I have one of these medical monitors, and let me tell you, the late model ones that don't have tons of hours of use can be absolutely spectacular. In fact, a good bud of mine has the BVM-20F1U, which is considered the Holy Grail of CRT's, and there really is no difference between mine and his when we are playing SNES or Genesis games, or 90 percent of the other RGB systems. His probably looks a lot better with Dreamcast, and some of the 480p PS2 games, but that's about it.

There is a guy on Ebay that sells a Scart to Sony PVM adapter. He charges too much for the damn thing (like $45 shipped), but you might as well experience the full potential of the monitor. These things would cost like 6 grand brand new when they first came out. There are tons of adjustments that you can make to the image as well, when you jump into the service mode.