Thread: Emerson Arcadia 2001

Insert Coin (Level 0) atari2600land's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Emerson Arcadia 2001

I have a chance of buying an Emerson Arcadia if the shop that got it tests it and it works OK. Should I get it? Do any of you have one? If so, what's it like? Is it cool or stupid? How much should I pay for it?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

It's in between the graphics of an Intellivison and an Atari 5200, but not as good as either system games-wise. There's a few good games on there but they're pretty much just clones or variations of things you can find on those systems or Atari 2600. It makes it similar to an Astrocade except without the hype because unlike the Astrocade which was more powerful than what was out at the time, this was less powerful than what was out at the time.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0) atari2600land's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you have one? How much did you pay for it. I'm wondering what is a fair price and what to pass on.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Used to have it starting 2008 and sold it in 2012. I can't remember what prices anymore. I had like 5 games. I currently have 5-11Under's Multicart that he made in 2012 (which I got after I already sold the system) so I am thinking of getting one again if I ever find it cheap. One thing to note - the cartridge port door is quite flimsy. Mine came with one of the tabs bent inward. If I were you I would see if any of the foreign import versions of the console are cheaper and go for that. I think it was more common in Europe than in the USA, although the system had different names over there.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I think it was more common in Europe than in the USA, although the system had different names over there.
    I'm pretty sure it was released in Canada as the Leisure Vision. I'm not sure if it's more common over here though, I actually think it's rarer here than in the US.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I have an Emerson Arcadia 2001, except that the player 1 controller won't go left so I can't get into any of the games. I've only got a couple of games for it, too. There are some ports of extremely obscure arcade games on it, like Cat Trax, Funky Fish, and Jungler (the first two were ported over to the Atari 2600, I think Atari Age still sells them), and I remember reading that there was even a Macross game put out in Japan for its localized version of the game console.

I suggest you buy the console. It's something you won't come across very often. I got mine at the Oklahoma Video Game Expo from Phosphor Dot Fossils, boxed, and just walking out of the building with it I had two or three people stop me and ask about it. It's an oddball machine that most people don't think about until they see one in person, then they wish they had one. The games might not be as much fun as other console games of that era, but it's pretty unique and a great conversation piece. And it's collectible like crazy, considering there's something like four different cartridge sizes/shapes spread across the world from the dozens of companies who licensed the technology from the same Hong Kong manufacturer that Emerson did. And there are some foreign exclusives. It's a nice curiosity if nothing else.