Thread: Whats your take on "Hidden Gems" videos on Youtube?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Whats your take on "Hidden Gems" videos on Youtube?

Do you fell that this drives up the price of games that are already expensive, or do you think its alright? There are some games I never knew that could be pretty good but on the other hand it could drive the price up especially if the person has a lot of subs. Example Mike Matei did a couple and Metal Jesus Rocks does so many. This guy has got a crap load of games. I'm expecting him to come out with a Philips CD-i hidden gems one day, and his buddy Reggie to come with a Gizmondo hidden gems

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

As a fan of Metal Jesus, I can assure you his "hidden gems" are not so hidden. Ha ha. I usually don't pay them much mind, because the videos tend to flip through the games too quickly.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I find them to be an absolute curse when the video maker has a large enough impact/over all audience. NA was going ballistic over it a couple years back and off and on ever since. Someone actually went as far as correlating the videos on Cinemassacre by Mike Mattei with the horrid uptick in the price of games both on the NES and SNES. Shortly after those suckers went live back then the prices on things like Hagane, Run Saber, and various others rocketed up just after the fact. Various other polluters like Game Chasers have done the same, but also magnified the problem horribly so in their local areas and are well known among collectors as a curse to any store they've hit in the Texas/Arkansas areas they roll to. People learn they have stuff and for low prices after the video and find where it is, the store catches on shortly after and all the prices escalate a lot and the stock/variety drops because their regulars and informed types stop buying and turning stuff in because they get screwed on both ends (trade and pricing.)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I wouldn't mind hidden gem videos as much if they mentioned how common the games were so people wouldn't start overpaying for them. Or if these people just reviewed good games without describing them as "hidden gems".

I really dislike the Game Chasers. They make it obvious they're video taping for a show when they're looking for "bargains" so sellers will always become aware of what they should price higher. Even when stuff is really common and they pay average prices for them anyway. Plus everything is focused on the values, showing just how well they did with their finds.

The way Lazy Game Reviews does thrift store hunts is much better. He uses a hidden camera to avoid drawing attention to what he's doing, and he's not just going after valuable stuff for bragging rights or profiting. Even if stuff isn't particularly valuable, he goes after and shows interesting looking items. He's actually enjoyable to watch and listen to.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't stand the pickups videos and game hunt videos where they show how much money they saved. That I think is the worst for prices. I do like Pat Contri's Flea Market Madness cuz he's just funny, and Frank is awesome, but I feel those shows are more to give people tips on how to find good stuff. I'm pretty good on my own, I'd rather just go out to the flea market myself then watch other people hitting the bricks at home. What's the fun in that?

I do like Metal Jesus Rocks tho cuz he does touch on some games that I haven't heard of, although lotsa his hidden gems aren't too hidden. He does give me some cheap titles to look out for though or try out. Especially on the PS2. I feel most of the other stuff he shows aren't really that hidden like Mischief Makers on N64 and stuff like that. He's not exactly the brightest guy either, or wittiest, but I still enjoy his videos.

Retro Liberty are ok, they make funny videos too, but they tend to be annoying to me in terms of always being like, "Oh we're gonna find little samson" and stuff like that.

I still watch the videos tho, so am I a hypocrite? I like Pat Contri's game reviews, also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I find them to be an absolute curse when the video maker has a large enough impact/over all audience. NA was going ballistic over it a couple years back and off and on ever since.
    That's a classic issue of pot, kettle, black, because there are more than enough fools at NA who have been willing to inflate the prices of just about anything for the NES and Super NES in order to wave their e-peens around.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow really? You're going to tear into me because I post at NA. That's rich. I'm not a collector. I don't bask in repeatedly fleecing people for pennies on stuff to then do videos or pics to gloat on there. I'm aware of the problem there at NA that people use the site to do just what you said, but it doesn't mean everyone competes there to do that. Over time I've moved towards not saying much on what I get, and if I feel I'd end up selling it I don't even list a price like many tasteless boobs do as they're putting up their sellers thread listing. One dude got Bonk for $12, gloated, then put it up for a 'quick sale' for $275.

Like GameGuy and Arkanoid said, it's the jerks who go out there like they're a cable tv production thing very visible, acting it up, talking about how cheap this or or rare that is, and what the end up saving. Only a boob behind the counter wouldn't overhear or catch onto that, and those who are boobs get tipped off anyway by the influx of business who suck the place dry like a succubus, in love with the victim and taking it for all it can leech out of it.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I really enjoy pickup videos from Metal Jesus, Adam Koralik, AlphaOmegaSin, Pete Dorr, and Gamester81, among others. They are passionate about the stuff, and don't just flip through the games with disregard. Often I'm pulled into buying something because of their views/reviews on the games. It's an educational process. They also don't quite prices very much, and they promote the stores they visit. Speaking of stores, Toy Ratt's store tour (new items) is hilarious and very cool.

Just don't view those kinds of videos as negative for the hobby. Don't you want more people to get into collecting? That's a bad thing now? I will concur that I really can't watch Game Chasers. I find way too much of what they do comes off as highly fake. Plus they're obnoxious. To blame them or any of the review videos for the increase in the price for Hagane is not fair though. What about Earthbound? It's rarely mentioned/reviewed by the casual game reviewers.
    Last edited by Greg2600; 06-27-2014 at 03:21 PM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Someone actually went as far as correlating the videos on Cinemassacre by Mike Mattei with the horrid uptick in the price of games both on the NES and SNES. Shortly after those suckers went live back then the prices on things like Hagane, Run Saber, and various others rocketed up just after the fact.
    Not so fast, cheech. Hagane is a direct result of the vaunted NA's effect. If you don't believe me, read the third post, by the guy claiming responsibility.

The prices these days are indirectly due to a lot of factors, not just Youtube video producers. Rise of sites like NA (I'll spare you the diatribe), misinformation (rental exclusivity, etc), growth of the reseller market and prime nostalgia all factor in. The golden age of game collecting ended in 2006 or 2007. Things just took a wild upswing in demand and subsequent value and it hasn't looked back since. They'll come down when the whole collector market crashes on the backs of NES coming off peak, but when that will begin is unknown - best guess 2-3 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I remember that post when it was made and I think it could be a piece of the puzzle, but mostly he was just trying to get some attention and thinking a bit too much of his own power to cause such things alone. I know a lot of factors are in there, but it's a good mix of youtube, predatory resellers(those who buy for cash off the widest margins, not to buy into their own collection, even NA which I get that one entirely since I'm favored there for being corrected for not being lock step with the collector/protectionist thing, etc.) I respect your knowledge on enough, I know you're not loved at all over there yet the reasons seems to uncomfortably fit with what I off and on over time have taken hits for too, so I hope you're right about another few years for that moment to happen. When the NES and I think SNES fall off peak it'll crack because the N64 GC and Wii never had a big consumer love affair and handheld is an entire other side beast.