Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Games you regret selling or trading

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games you regret selling or trading

It has to be selling Turtles in Time on the SNES. I had the whole thing mint even the plastic bag that the game came in. Looking at the prices I'm pissed that I sold it. I did buy it few years back when it was relatively cheap, but I regret not buying a full CIB at that time.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Everything I had that I don't have now - I only did it because I needed money. The buy-back process is a very slowwww one so I don't end up in the same situation.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

I traded in Lufia II for the snes before even playing it. I needed money for an rx after my big surgery. I got 25 bucks for it.

Shoulda sold it on ebay. But pain is a hell of a motivator.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

For games now more valuable I guess the multiple factory sealed copies of Conker's Bad Fur Day I sold for $15 each, or the near complete copy of Action 52 NES for $46. Probably some Turbo Duo CD games and TurboGrafx games(I might have just kept some of these, I remember them playing lousy though), etc. I'm sure there's more I can't remember.

For games I would actually want to play now(more than just wanting more money), selling Gun-Nac for $20 or S.C.A.T. for $5 comes to mind. Various cart only Genesis games with damaged labels like Valis or Trouble Shooter, I really thought I would have found complete copies of them by now. There's probably more under this category too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

To this day,snatcher i have should have never gave it away when i sold the genesis in the early 90's.Few years ago i never thought id buy the console again but i did.Given snatcher current value i doubt i'll ever buy the game again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

For me it would be my original TG-16. I had never heard of it until I saw it at my cousin's house and I was blown away. Bought it and eventually sold it once I "outgrew" video games. Eventually picked one up again and it's still one of my favorite consoles to this day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I sold hundreds of games in 2007 for much cheaper than their going rate now, but I got okay prices still considering HOW I unloaded them (fire sale via reseller).

$100 for CIB Little Samson
    $100 for F2 Dino Peak
    $80 for Bubble Bobble 2
    ...all the way down to something like Wayne's World for $2-$3.

(Un)fortunately I hung onto my CIB Action 52 after I thought his $100 offer was too low on that one.
    Last edited by Nesmaster; 06-30-2014 at 07:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Most of my gaming library was a regret as I was more or less forced to ditch it over unemployment and underemployment for a few years. Since then I've recovered most of all the console games I wanted back for Nintendo systems, but Aerofighters mocks me. I used to have all the Sega systems except Pico, Sony too, NGPC, and a TUrbo Duo which is all more or less gone. I just need to pony up the dough on Aerofighters but the cost is just unpalatable to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

I traded my SNES library for ps1 when it came out. I got around 75 for all of the RPGs I had. Worst gaming mistake I ever made.

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sold off some stuff a few years ago, about 2007, when I needed money. I had a totally complete and mint copy of Shantai, sold it for $50-$60 from what I remember, if that. Now? Grrr.
    My Zelda III that came with my SNES.
    Castlevania Bloodlines.
    R-Type III - beautiful complete set. I don't entirely regret it, as much as I love shmups, this game is a pain in the ass. I think I got more than $70 for it at that time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That was cheap for Shantae alright, but I mean people need to keep in perspective of what they got then, not now, we're not psychics. :P I feel it because the items I had that did go for systems I did keep were true losses and paid little to nothing for them compared to today in 1995-2002 dollars. That Aerofighters I mentioned was mint with the poster and manual for like $5-10 at most, and Earthbound which I had then was also perfect and complete in the box for $20 and look what that goes for now. I'm in to it $2 for the game and $60 on the book on that game, and the box I can't see throwing $200 at cardboard as I'm sane.

I can give a good piece of obvious advice. If you're going to sell out, stand your ground. Don't be fast with it, sit and stare at the stuff for awhile and realize you're not using it. I mean I will always love the time I had with the Gameboy and Gameboy Color but a couple years back I decided completely I had no time for that many games along wiht the current handheld + the GBA so I sold it all off entirely. Now and again rarely I wish I had this or that, but I realize I'd blow too much damn money, play it a few hours, and shelve it to the land of dust and bunnies again so I'm finished with it. Even at this rate with the Retron 5 it would be a matter of just stuffing it in there w/out buying into a system but I don't.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

#1 would be my family's original NES with 8 or 9 games. Gave it away to a friend because we never used it anymore. We didn't have anything special, but having the actual system/carts from childhood would be cool.

#2 Prototype of Pac-Man for the 2600 found in a thrift after I'd been collecting for a couple years. It didn't differ from the final version from what I remember (maybe title screen or some text), but Pac-Man is such an iconic game. Only got $90 for it, so not really important for me to sell, I just thought an actual 2600 collector would enjoy it more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

For me it would be selling Bonk 3 Super CD a year or so ago. I did get $350 for it though. I let it go for the same reason most of you have let things go. I needed the money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post

I can give a good piece of obvious advice. If you're going to sell out, stand your ground. Don't be fast with it, sit and stare at the stuff for awhile and realize you're not using it.
    Absolutely. Sometimes you just need a break from it all, but that doesn't mean you should up and sell off right away. I did because I was young, unemployed, and lazy as well as burned out on the retro scene. I literally decided overnight that I was going to purge 80% of what I owned and focus on the new generation as that's where my interests shifted to at the time. It wasn't more than three years later when I started to miss my items and started buying them back at double/triple of what I sold them for in 2007. Then the prices started to escalate very fast and the rest leads us to where we are now.

Long story short: Don't sell off right away if you feel the burnout, let it sit and cool for a while and focus on other things, then come back after a break and see if you still feel that way. I may downsize again in the future, but I will not purge as much or anywhere near as fast as the first time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

This is a feeling I have never known, I have kept every game I ever bought over the years. I even have kept the ones I don't like (NES Hydlide for example).

Edit: Actually I did, I gave away a copy of Gradius 3 SNES years ago for a copy of Link to the Past. That regret eventually went away when I bought another copy off ebay, then years later another loose cart landed in my lap for free. So in the end I don't regret it, I got a great game for a great game, and got 2 more copies of traded game years later.
    Last edited by Bloodreign; 07-03-2014 at 04:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back in the day, I sold off games like Super Mario World, Top Gear 2, and Earthworm Jim 2 to finance the purchase of N64 games. Didn't really regret it at the time (bought great games like Mario Kart 64), but after a few years I really regretted it. I have since rebought all of them.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Back in 2003 I was pretty poor and wanted to get into DDR (and grab some other new releases), so I sold off a number of Playstation one games, among them: X-Com: UFO Defense. I didn't look at the receipt until later, but I only got something like $1.65 trade-in value for it. That was the extra kick in the nuts, looking back at it. So foolish to trade that game in, thinking I'd had my fill and wouldn't get back to it. Luckily, a friend of mine scored an extra copy mixed in with something else at a swapmeet, a couple years ago. He was kind enough to pass it on to me, and now I've poured some 60+ hours into the game.. again, with many more to come.

I sold all my N64 stuff at that time too, and while I don't regret most of it, I do miss my mint-in-box Mario 64, Starfox 64, and hell, even Zelda: OOT.. even though it hurt my eyes. I hope they all found loving homes. I ended up re-purchasing Mario 64 and Starfox 64 from the Wii Virtual Console. If I get a hankerin' for Zelda: OOT, I'll go with the 3DS version.

While I still occasionally trade off a game here or there, I definitely spend much more time contemplating it, to minimize the potential regret.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 07-03-2014 at 08:53 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

There was a time when I didn't have a job and in general had depression issues, so I made some stupid mistakes that I would take back if only I could convince time to reverse.

Selling my first copy of Earthbound.

Selling several RPGs and Strategy games for the NES.

My first Sega CD, the games I had for it, my first PC-Engine and the games I had for that...

But the ones I regret most?

I used to own complete and in box Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger for SNES, and sold both of them. I should NEVER have done that, and if anyone ever builds a time machine, please go back to fifteen years ago and tell me "Dude, don't EVER sell those."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have had several copies of the NES Super Rarities that I acquired in the days of Funcoland and from going to video stores that were selling off their stock. Flinstones 2, Little Samson, Panic Restaurant, Bonk, Bubble Bobble 2, all were sold in the pre-2010 era before prices spiraled out of control. Same thing with SNES games, plenty of Earthbounds, Chrono Triggers, Megman X 2 & 3, Megaman 7, all slipped through my fingers at prices WAY lower than their current going rate. I was young, dumb, and needed the money, what can I say? Of course I also remember when Video Game Connection was selling sealed copies of Cheetahman 2 for under $100, and that's what now, a $1000+ game?

Cherry (Level 1) Canadian Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the fall of 2009, I sold my cart only copy of Hagane to someone on the boards here for $15 or something. Whoever that person is, good on ya!