Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Games you regret selling or trading

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I traded a GameCube Action Replay for an N64 Transfer Pak back in 2006 or 2007. I still hang out with that one friend all the time, and I have a rarer, CIB variant of the AR now, so it's not as big of a deal as it was.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

TE Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Angry

about 15 years ago traded my 32x and about dozen games for few Playstation games. Now that's a moron for you!!!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've never traded a video game in to a gaming store. Back when this became a thing I thought that it was INSANE. It wasn't really I suppose, as most people didn't see the point in holding on to older games that they didn't play anymore, and the store had every right to turn a hefty profit, but I just thought that it was completely NUTS seeing people walking in with boxes full of video games that they spent hundreds and hundreds, or even a thousand+ dollars on for like 75 munnies off of a PS1 or something.

I was all like...

There are only a few times that I've sold games that I actually still wanted because of financial hardships, and I honestly can't say that I regret it, even though I want them back. That is, I've never been forced into a situation where I came out at a loss, but I ABSOLUTELY sympathize with those who have. In the end, they're just video games, and there are definitely more pressing things in life that we have to deal with.

Anyway, the games I've sold that left sort of a bitter taste just a little while after I sold them were the original three Pheonix Wright games.

It was during a time when a LOT of shit was going on; death and sickness in the family, emergency traveling, missed work, etc.. I sold a lot of games that I had no intention of playing/playing again, and/or had zero attachment to, but there were also few I let go I wouldn't have otherwise sold if I didn't need to free up some cash quickly. Most were second and sealed copies of games I already had (a lot of them were Master System titles), but the Pheonix Wright games were the only copies I had, and they were never opened. Til this day I've never played any of them. The games might be terrible, I won't know anytime soon though since I'm not actively looking for them at the moment.

I got well over $100 for the lot, which I thought was insane considering I paid $14.99 for each.

Actually, I did a quick eBay search while tying this. They don't seem to go for anywhere near that now. Man, I feel pretty good about that sale now. Woo! ^_^

Insert Coin (Level 0) Little Miss Gloom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    littlemissgloom

Obviously this is something that we as gamers and collectors can sympathise with. I don't think there's ever been someone in our hobby/fandom who hasn't found themselves trading something in. My brother used to trade shit all the time when he needed money, then rebought/resold/rebought...the cycle ever turning. It was especially frustrating for me as a youngin' when I'd rent video games only to come home to discover the console had been sold off to pay for smokes and an oil change.

I fell into a similar pattern of selling things and rebuying. It's vicious. The psychological games one plays on themselves when it comes to nostalgia mixed with that need for material possession is astounding. It's come to the point for me now that if I'm even -tempted- to sell something, I need to do a lot of soul searching before I can commit to slimming down my collection. When it comes to things that have been rebought, I don't even bother anymore. It's in my collection again for a reason, and there it will stay.

I can't really think of any games that I currently regret selling. I made a lot of bone-headed moves back in my younger days (as we all have, clearly, from those of you who have mentioned re-purchasing, or even going prices), but as of now, nothing comes to mind. And perhaps, that's a good thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I regret trading in my LCD handheld game of Dungeons and Dragons for a painted die-cast Klingon warship. That's the big one. Granted now if I play it the game wouldn't be as fun but back then I saw nothing like it.

That's really it. There are games I'd love to play again like Twisted on the 3DO that I sold but now it's not that big of a deal.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Intelligent Qube for PS1.

Bought a complete copy at a yardsale for fifty cents, and found out it was worth a veritable shiton when I got home. Tested the game to make sure it worked, then immediately listed it on ebay and sold it for its full value at the time.

While it's gone up about $20 in the past few years, that's not the reason I regret selling it - This was the first and last time I ever thought of a game for its rarity before its actual appeal as a game - Due to the value I was afraid to actually PLAY it and use it, thinking I might damage it and be out $40. Therefore I passed it off and figured it was just some weird puzzle game I shouldn't care about or learn how to play.

It's not my favorite game ever or anything, but it seems far more fun and interesting than I allowed myself to think when money was on the mind.

That's why, nowadays, when I buy a game, I actually give myself a reason other than "it's rare and I can make money off it". "It's fun". "it's a series I like", "it's a genre I like", "the coverart looked interesting". "it was cheap compared to other games on the system", whatever. I find a way to enjoy them, then, and if they're really worth that much and, after playing, I really don't feel like it's worth keeping, sure, I'll sell it. But I'll play it first.

In brief, Intelligent Qube tought me years down the line that there is far more importance to collecting than mere monetary value.

Also, my father selling my entire childhood gamecube and SNES collections with multiple high-value rare games that I loved as a kid for $50 combined to buy circa-1950s history books to force me to read, which is the main reason I started collecting a few years ago - but that's someone else's sale, not mine.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 07-05-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Also, my father selling my entire childhood gamecube and SNES collections with multiple high-value rare games that I loved as a kid for $50 combined to buy circa-1950s history books to force me to read, which is the main reason I started collecting a few years ago - but that's someone else's sale, not mine.
    Wait...I'm sorry, WHAT?

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Wait...I'm sorry, WHAT?
    You'll never know how much you loved a game until you lose it.

I lost every single game I loved as a kid with no chance or money to get them back until years later.

It's those years later now, and while Ninflation is keeping SNES and Gamecube values mostly too high for my wallet still, I'm recovering them piece by piece when I can find a deal, as well as discovering all kinds of other games and systems I missed out on back then.

I've expanded from my kidhood sob story to just generally enjoying collecting and the thrill of deal-hunting, though, which is probably for the better, since otherwise I'd be in the hole from a few dozen SNES and Gamecube games as opposed to doing fine with literally hundreds of genesis and gamegear carts, 20-ish super ninty games, and a fair share of titles for other consoles too.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 07-05-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish I hadn't sold my copy of Super Smash Bros Melee and Mario Kart Double Dash for Gamecube, around 2008. I sold them to Gamestop to fund my newly desired 360. Now I wish I had them, and I never encounter these games ever. I did see them at a Goodwill a year ago, $20 each cib, and I didn't jump on them. I regret.

I also regret selling my PS1 in maybe 2001, along with 30 games for about $40. I have 95% of the games I once had, I bought them back 2 years later when I got a ps2 and realized I still wanted these games. But 2 of the games were Point Blank and Time Crisis with the light guns, and those are a little more money now.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Sold my sealed Ninja Five-O to raise money while I was out of work. I'd already sold some videogame stuff, but it was parts that I wasn't so attached to, like my 5200 collection. This one I didn't want to, but someone was after it, and it went for a very good price. Thankfully once I got a job, I was able to buy a very good condition used copy for half the price I sold the sealed one for...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two come to mind:

The first was just me being a dumb teenager. I was lucky enough to get a mint copy of final fight CD at a garage sale for a dollar back in the early 00s. I foolishly sold it along with many nes and snes games to buy a GameCube at funcoland. Now it is a hassle tracking down a working sega cd and the game in the condition I had it.

Second, around that same time period I sold chrono trigger for 35. Getting it now at that price is nigh impossible

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Huh, my only regret was trading a copy of snes Mario all stars. Don't remember what for, I just remember it taking for ever to find one that wasn't tore to shreds.

Kind of small potatoes.
    Aside from that and a few other truly shit games (spy hunter for ps2), I've kept it all

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Defender for the ColecoVision.

Not sure why I agreed to sell that one, considering that I really like that game.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sold my kid brothers Pokémon edition GameBoy color at funco Land to help finance a GameBoy Advanced when they just came out. Got $5 or something ridiculous like that. It wasn't just the money, it was our first real time bonding over a video game, playing Pokémon gold on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any game and watch ever , I need to get another zelda game and watch someday. But if you guys ever get a game and watch you know to hoard those worth way more now than a few years back. (hides his lifeboat and safe buster g and w)
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've got that Zelda and SMB too. I keep telling myself I'm going to sell them, but then I find some batteries and remember why they're on the shelf.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I regret selling my cib copies of Lunar and Lunar 2 Complete and my cib Earthbound.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Revenge2wrath
    PSN
    itsaheartache

i have traded in and sold a lot of games in my life which i regret. a lot of my ps2 stuff some GBA things and possibly the worst was trading my ps3 and like 20 games for a psp. ( the psp broke a year later) i also traded in orcale of ages for some sports game
    Last edited by Segalover; 07-13-2014 at 01:50 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Everything I had that I don't have now - I only did it because I needed money. The buy-back process is a very slowwww one so I don't end up in the same situation.
    This. Things I have regretted trading-in or selling in the past:
    I ebayed my CIB Buster Douglas Boxing (SMS) for $75 in 2009
    also ebayed my Lunar Silver Star (disc only), Vay (boxed), CIB Lunar 2, and minty Popful Mail and Shining Force CD a few years ago for money
    Ebayed my Final Fantasy 2, FF3, CIB Megaman X and X2, SNES Sparkster and Earthbound last year because I needed money
    Ebayed my CIB Crusader of Centy (WOW has that game shot up in price since then! Should have sold the loose copy instead...) and CIB Genesis Sparkster last year because I needed money
    Sold CIB Phantasy Star 2 back in the 90s for maybe $15?
    Traded-in my CIB Shining Force 1 to Toys R Us and used the credit for... *heavy sighhhh* Battletoads.
    Also traded in more boxed/CIB NES games than I should have to Toys R Us in the 90s for chump change because I was a small kid with no source of income.

I at least won an ebay auction for Shining Force 1 today, so I can cross that one back off the list!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You know one regret is having to let stuff go when the control isn't yours to then want it back and find out what you bought once for $15-20 new is now like $100 for a loose cart and when you can get it for $65~ with a little white fuzzing spot on the label is considered a good deal. :\

Just crossed my mind as I should hopefully have ninja five o in the mail today.