I have recently come to find that the Game Boy Color offers two choices in sound; either use the barely audible mono speaker, or plug in a pair of headphones and get your ears blasted away by noise. It would seem that Nintendo has found this to be acceptable; I however, do not. Thus, I am attempting to correct this; however, I have only had minor success.

The speaker I don't particularly care about since headphones offer stereo sound and should sound better anyway. I have already beefed up the electrolytic caps around the power supply which has had the effect of removing the high frequency trash in the signal. Unfortunately, the low frequency buzzing that is unaffected by the volume pot has remained untouched.

It would seem that I have two options; modify the audio circuit, or build a better one. I was thinking that maybe I could replace the op-amp with a better one, but I have no idea what to replace it with since I can not find any information on it. Another option might be to lower the gain on the op-amp, but yet again I have no data to use that would assist me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might proceed? For what it's worth the op-amp is IR3R53N.