Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: How are you feeling about the Wii U future

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't hear about this delay. I mean it is a Zelda game so of course it will be delayed. Still stinks though.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm not sure how official it is, but Zelda is definitely slated currently for 2016. Nintendo supposedly has a franchise game to pop at E3 to get attention, what I was told, likely to be another Mario Galaxy game, which I think would temporarily help them a bit. Supposedly they have some cross platform game coming to WiiU as well, but I was not told what, but again just because you get a cross platform title and likely Mario to pop up this year, that doesn't fix things, it just bandaids the sore for owners, a nice bandaid but still not a fix. I was on my phone for over 2 hours talking junk like this system, lego and other stuff last night so that's the only reason I'm writing this.

Unless there's some NDA or death thing going on due to E3, there's not much going on there, best to look forward to the New3DS/3DS library to come at the show, and you can forget the NX as that almost surely won't rear its head since that's a couple years out. I don't think they'd likely do that stupid move they did with the WiiU controller an E3 too early a few years back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'm not sure how official it is, but Zelda is definitely slated currently for 2016.
    That's not a fact though, as I recall from the exact wording. They said something like "releasing in 2015 is no longer our top priority".

While it seems quite clear that it has been delayed since they wouldn't of ever released that video if it weren't, technically, they never actually confirmed it.

Nintendo supposedly has a franchise game to pop at E3 to get attention, what I was told, likely to be another Mario Galaxy game, which I think would temporarily help them a bit.
    Doubt it, the Wii U just got its 3D Mario platformer a year and a half ago.

Where'd you read this rumor? Hasn't been making the rounds anywhere that I visit. Would be nice to see, but I wouldn't put two cents into it since the rumors that actually have a chance of being viable, are quickly spread in the news hungry Nintendo world.

best to look forward to the New3DS/3DS library to come at the show
    Considering that the Wii U has been getting more of interest than the 3DS over the past year or more and that the stopgap New 3DS went months before its first game (Which isn't even out for several more days, anywhere) with nothing else currently announced for it, I suggest that people don't hold their breath there.

3DS will be lucky to get out of E3 with 2 or 3 projects of interest to anyone. The focus clearly seems to have been with the Wii U and preparing for the next generation, rather than the 3DS. New 3DS may get one port later this year if it's lucky (I keep coming back to Super Mario Sunshine as ideal for it) and the 3DS may get two or three smaller scale Nintendo projects in the vein of some recent releases like Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

But I don't see anything major coming. Just enough to keep something going until the Fall of 2016, when they're both replaced.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-31-2015 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nintendo Direct tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well not publicly they haven't 100% admitted it, but it is 2016. Again you know I have that family source of info working in that industry. They can't get it done due to the ambitious design and scope(size) of the game without compromise is how it looks. I have no idea if that direct tomorrow will hit on that, or just some tidbits as a tease leading up to E3. Mario again, supposedly the internal chatter is galaxy 3 and has also been quietly worked on for awhile. The WiiU Super Mario 3D World was actually supposed to be a 3DS game they shoveled over, just like how New Super Mario Bros Wii was actually a 3DS project too. That's why they have those odd touch moments in 3D World where you basically have to use the tablet pad to play because of those touch elements designed for the 3DS. I hate rumors with a passion let alone peddling them, but it's what I got told, it's also why I don't share it much further than this small group here. Sure NOA employees/fans on the inside could be feeding a misdirection or bad info, but that's basically the word. Galaxy 3, worked on for awhile now, Super Mario 3D World was a plug for the release hole and had been originally designed as a 3DS game they carried over. It's totally plausible since they did the lift and move with how New Super Mario Wii was originally not a Wii game either to start.

Now about the New 3DS I did ask about that. I actually got an answer of what the hell is going on with the no games for New 3DS. Nintendo was forced to release it. Xenoblade was a fairly 'easy' conversion that was used to get something out there, just like the barely upgrade to Ace Combat from Namco. As you may recall recent events played out like this. New 3DS bomb was dropped. N3DS was in short supply so Japan and oddly enough Australia got it only, to then release a couple months later here. The one game for it dedicated only out in Japan, the rest of the world waits days more into early April. Now fast forward to this month...DENA. Nintendo now drops the story about the NX in development, then after that then they break their big so called word on never touching tablets and now they are, and now they are with DENA and they're like due to some stock swappage somewhat of a very minor share holder in a 2nd party way. Now keep that one in mind. You have Nintendo without still a true 'network' for their systems vs PSN/XBL. They get in bed with DENA to make them their own network on that exact same level, yet more. DENA is into that, but more into tablet/phone junk. They create this bitchin network that covers the N3DS, the WiiU, Android, and iOS if not more. Any game on those will have a shared Nintendo account, probably end up having trophies and the works with shared data and progess along with login/password. Nintendo can then have those games talk. They can make some touch junk have it associate with a 3DS or NX game and a WiiU title too. A true real finally Nintendo Network ID. Make a 'Mario Dash' game,then have earned Nintendo coins get you DLC or something on your Mario Kart 9 or Smario Bros NX, or do enough in a touch game, unlock a character.

That's why the N3DS came out all shitty and had nothing to show for it other than 1 1/2 games of which one is a port and the other is a 1.0 to 1.1 like upgrade. The intent of the New3DS is to last longer than just 2016. I know anything can change, but that whole N3DS, DENA, true network, etc thing does all make sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well not publicly they haven't 100% admitted it, but it is 2016.
    It may look like I'm nitpicking, but they also didn't confirm their new release window. They essentially said that it will release when it's ready to be released.

I hope that it's 2016, but Zelda titles have slipped far more than a year in the past. And I'm not at all certain that this isn't going to be another Twilight Princess deal, or worse and perhaps end up skipping the Wii U entirely.

And if that happens and their next gen hardware isn't a year and a half out like many speculate it is, I could see Nintendo sitting on this past 2016, when their next gen hardware actually is ready to go.

Again you know I have that family source of info working in that industry.
    You never told me anything about that.

I love a good Mario platformer, so I'd love for your source to end up vindicated. But it seems a bit too soon when Super Mario 3D Mario will only turn two this Fall.

Mario Maker makes sense given that New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U are some of the earliest releases on the system. But Super Mario 3D World is still a young release with a lot of shelf life left.

I'd be surprised to see a new release so soon that supersedes that one, and even more surprised if it does happen and doesn't recycle much of the foundation already laid by Super Mario 3D World like its engine (Like how Majora's Mask on the N64 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii went about it).

just like the barely upgrade to Ace Combat from Namco.
    I think even that is being a bit too generous. All they did was add Nintendo paint schemes to unlock and standardized the Circle Pad Pro support from the Japanese release.

Hopefully the fans that already had the original, did their homework. Not much justification to double dip here, unless one just absolutely detested the lack of a 2nd stick.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-31-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Nintendo is missing Christmas 2015 for Zelda U, there is no way they'll let Christmas 2016 pass them by. I full expect Zelda U no later then Nov 2016 as there last big Wii U Hurrah before the NX in late 2017
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    If Nintendo is missing Christmas 2015 for Zelda U, there is no way they'll let Christmas 2016 pass them by. I full expect Zelda U no later then Nov 2016 as there last big Wii U Hurrah before the NX in late 2017
    What makes you so certain that this huge Nintendo franchise, which if they follow through with it on the Wii U will be the 3rd major console Zelda in a row that appeared at the end of a console generation, isn't being realigned as a next generation launch title?

It could then actually do some real good in moving units and propping up what's traditionally a slow opening year or so on the marketplace.

If their next gen hardware comes out in 2017 like you're assuming and they're thinking this with Zelda, they're going to sit on it until then even if a Wii U counterpart is still in the plans to fulfill their promises like they did with Twilight Princess, even if it's ready for release in 2016.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-31-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well personally, until I see them have a sustainable beyond their own myopic world I doubt I'd buy a console of theirs again when it came out, potentially at all, until I could get it stupid cheap to rationalize the tunnel vision sized selection of games. With that said I don't care if it slides to the next system or not, but potentially speaking, it probably would do them a world of good if it did. The WiiU aside from fans and just people buying for the little ones is a dead issue to most, so a big profile game like that being co-released (like TP was) or just dumping the WiiU entirely would likely be to its benefit. TP got sat on for the Wii so there's a history there.

My brother works for Pipeworks in Eugene OR. Formerly Volition(THQ) (producer/asst producer) on stuff like the 2 Red Faction releases and Saints Row 3. Before that was Rockstar Games (Midnight Club 3 DUB), Sega Sammy, and EA San Diego(aka Leaf Games before buy out.) He's been at it like I think 10+years roughly even starting with Leaf before college was completed if I remember right. The thing is when you are in that crappy industry you rarely end up finding a company that doesn't look at people as toilet paper to wipe and flush away by the project so he's been around until his most recent place which is somehow a safe place (main owner isn't fly by night standard fare) but you get connections and people keep talking on social media, quiet emails, calls, events. I end up getting calls from him every few months and then it ends up like a 2-3hour call and all this stuff that's not truly under a legal NDA gets shared. The stuff I can say I will, stuff that probably shouldn't, won't. The thing is Super Mario 3D World isn't the same team of people who work on the 3D platformers like Galaxy etc, they have divisions within divisions who work on stuff. Their handheld people who do those 2D Mario games do stuff, then there's another who really focuses on the full 3D games so they tag team. I don't think it would be considered too soon if you have a Galaxy 3 fill in for Christmas with Zelda getting the boot, that would make their year on the back end with Kart/Brawl keeping people happy on the front end. No doubt Super Mario 3D World has life left, but while it's still technically a 3D game, it's different enough from a Galaxy style title you could get away with it.

I don't think I was being overly generous, I did say 1.0 to 1.1 upgrade on Ace Combat. I don't give a damn about paint schemes, but being able to use the c-stick is nice, just not $30 nice to me. If I ever happen across it in a dumpster bin of $10 clearance titles I'll grab it since I already own the original as I don't care about amiibo scan paint jobs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    What makes you so certain that this huge Nintendo franchise, which if they follow through with it on the Wii U will be the 3rd major console Zelda in a row that appeared at the end of a console generation, isn't being realigned as a next generation launch title?
    Because.

Worst case scenario we get another Twilight Princess situation and get a dual release on both consoles. (Though I very much doubt it*) But it'll definitly be on Wii U. Mark it.

NX for 4th Quarter 2017 is also a very good bet. Which if my Zelda U for 4th Quarter 2016 holds, will be quite a long gap for a port.

* I have a very strong hunch the hardware specs between NX and Wii U are going to be quit different. Porting Twilight Princess between Gamecube and Wii was pretty easy because they have shared hardware architecture.
    Last edited by The Adventurer; 03-31-2015 at 10:54 PM.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

NX for 4th Quarter 2017 is also a very good bet.
    At least there's a chance. Not long ago, I'd of been dismissive that they could hold out that long.

Working under the assumption of a high degree of commonality for their console and handheld lines in the upcoming generation (Meaning that both existing platforms will be replaced simultaneously), there didn't seem a prayer of keeping their handheld line going as long as that with how 3DS sales have been shaping up.

But sales are rebounding somewhat with the enthusiasm around this new stopgap that will make that timeline viable if they so choose, as I see it.

But they better have some interesting 3DS and New 3DS projects lined up if they want to remain a going concern in the meantime.

I have a very strong hunch the hardware specs between NX and Wii U are going to be quit different. Porting Twilight Princess between Gamecube and Wii was pretty easy because they have shared hardware architecture.
    This is why if they are eyeing Zelda U as an asset that's better off being realigned for next-gen hardware, I wouldn't be so certain that Wii U fans will belatedly be catered to as well.

NX for 4th Quarter 2017 is also a very good bet.
    Note that we don't actually know what NX is, except that it's dedicated Nintendo hardware.

It may be a console, it may be a handheld, it may be both in a variety of manners (A hybrid all-in-one system, separate console and handheld versions that run the same code, etc.), or perhaps even something brand new.

Remember how Nintendo hedged their bets with the DS and referred to it as their 3rd pillar?

For all we know, this is Nintendo's own take on the smartphone. We simply don't know.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-01-2015 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Apparently, Nintendo of America confirmed months ago that only digital downloads would be included for this final round of elite rewards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sounds about right, probably why I said what I did as it probably was something read and forgotten. I'm sure I"ll end up with some piddly $5-10 3DS download. At least I have a 32GB card in my N3DS so it will fit as that DK one last year ate up a hell of a lot of room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not a huge lineup (I expected at least all the Virtual Console rewards from that last large group to reappear here as Gold selections), but not awful thanks to a decent selection of platinums

Three of the GBA downloads are on my want list, so at least I get to save a few dollars here with something that I'd of eventually paid money to download anyways. Probably wouldn't of went with a platinum choice even if I had it as an option this year, thanks to my preference for retail.

Gold Status (Earned 300 Coins):

Wii U Games

Advance Wars (Wii U - VC)
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (Wii U - VC)
    Metroid Fusion (Wii U - VC)
    Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Wii U – VC)
    Super Mario Kart (Wii U – VC)
    The Legend of Zelda (Wii U – VC)
    WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames! (Wii U – VC)
    Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (Wii U – VC)

Nintendo 3DS Games

Crashmo (Nintendo 3DS – Digital Download)
    Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive! (Nintendo 3DS – Digital Download)
    Pushmo (Nintendo 3DS – Digital Download)
    Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo 3DS – VC)
    Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (Nintendo 3DS – VC)
    The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Nintendo 3DS – VC)
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Nintendo 3DS – VC)
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Nintendo 3DS – VC)

Platinum Status (Earned 600 Coins):

Wii U Games

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U – Digital Download)
    NES Remix 2 (Wii U – Digital Download)
    Punch-Out!! (Wii U – VC)
    Pushmo World (Wii U – Digital Download)
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii U – VC)

Nintendo 3DS Games

Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo 3DS – Digital Download)
    Mario Golf World Tour (Nintendo 3DS – Digital Download)
    Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo 3DS – Digital Download)
    Mario Party: Island Tour (Nintendo 3DS – Digital Download)
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo 3DS – Digital Download)
    Ultimate NES Remix (Nintendo 3DS – Digital Download)
    Yoshi's New Island (Nintendo 3DS – Digital Download)
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-01-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ignoring the boring bits like their heavy promotion of figurines, Mario Maker has so far been confirmed for September.

I'm concerned though that they won't ship it with a full slate of Nintendo made levels, and that we'll only be able to share single levels online.

Looking forward to Yarn Yoshi.

And DS and N64 reconfirmed finally, with Yoshi's Island DS and Super Mario 64 available after the broadcast.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Solid Direct, but holy shit is that a lot of Amiibo figures.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Almost felt like they were more focused on selling those stupid figurines, than actual games.

But thankfully, there were some nice exceptions (Especially on the Wii U side, 3DS seemed pretty much a bust, I thought).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-01-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Of course they want to sell those figurines, that's where they made a ton of money in 2014.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Of course they want to sell those figurines, that's where they made a ton of money in 2014.
    Of course, but they have to be careful that they don't end up not seeing the forest for the trees. Otherwise what's now a positive that is largely creating excitement among their fans (At least those not annoyed by stock shortages, cancelled preorders, and retailer exclusive figurines), could end up otherwise.

Of course, I'm not actually suggesting that's any sort of a threat that Nintendo will lose sight of their primary purpose. But if they're not careful, they're going to drive this new deal right into the ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just as a warning, while Super Mario 64 is being rendered in HD and looks beautiful, Mario Kart DS is not and looks awful. Can't picture M2 being behind this lowres mess, so I assume another party is responsible for the DS emulator.

I'll be avoiding any 3D DS games on here unless this is someday fixed. 2D games though will look just fine upscaled and wouldn't of benefited anyways from being rendered at a higher resolution (Never really understood that, but that's how it works and I'll leave it to the tech wizards to explain why the difference between a polygon and a sprite).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-01-2015 at 09:35 PM.