Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Famicom Games, Let's talk about your favorites, they're now more accessible with the Retron 5.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I only have around 20 famicom games, but a share of them use exotic mappers and they work, so I'd think some launch era mapper 0 stuff would be just fine. At this rate the safe argument would be to say the list of legitimate games, non-pirates, non-multicarts, non-flash pirate carts, and non-homebrew would be a fairly small list and far too much research and work to type up a working list.

...that and I own both those as NES games and they're perfect.
    With Famicom, you're more likely to encounter an exotic mapper when you don't suspect it.
    I remember watching some of Pat the Punk's NES marathon, and someone requested Dragon Buster. One of the few games that refused to run, guess whoever made the charitable donation for that one to get played lost out. Turns out it doesn't work on PowerPak because it uses its own mapper. I can only imagine that's probably a low priority because it's only used by that one sort-of-obscure game. Seems Namco did several custom mappers, mostly for custom CHR swapping effects.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Some of my favs are Getsu Fuuma Den(some spellings have it at Getsu Fuma Den),great Castlevania clone. Love the Famicom box for it. Arkanoid 2 and Bard's Tale 2

Insert Coin (Level 0) RoryDropkick's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of my favorites are Madara, Akumajou Densetsu, Lagrange Point, Capt. Tsubasa II, the Hiryu no Ken series <different from Flying Warriors> and Metro Cross.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Isn't Lagrange Point without a translation entirely unplayable? I'd love to see that one in action but it would suck just staring at a bunch of stuff I can barely read. Everyone seems to be in love with Akamajou Densetsu and I feel at some rate I should grab that just due to the differences.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Armor_King's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I've only played 3 Famicom games which were on some super joy plug and play thingy found at a flea market. And then Final Fantasty 3 which is better than that DS remake version. So:

Final Fantasy 3
    Twinbee
    Karateka
    Ninja Kun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't Lagrange Point without a translation entirely unplayable? I'd love to see that one in action but it would suck just staring at a bunch of stuff I can barely read. Everyone seems to be in love with Akamajou Densetsu and I feel at some rate I should grab that just due to the differences.
    True, if you don't know Japanese it's yet another text-heavy RPG, so YMMV on that one. You should have a copy of Akumajou Densetsu, music aside its nice having things like Grant with his knife and other little gameplay tweaks. I've won that game 3 times on ebay, once by accident *lol*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I would here and there perhaps make an exception like Lickle for around $100~ because $500 for the US version is disgusting.
    This when i was ready to buy little samson i found the famicom version,cheaper in price.I can say the same to for gourmet world aka panic restaurant as well.I bought it loose recently for the famicom and it is cheaper compared to the nes one.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by RoryDropkick View Post
    You should have a copy of Akumajou Densetsu, music aside its nice having things like Grant with his knife and other little gameplay tweaks
    Like how Sypha in the Japanese version is incredibly broken. She can take out bosses in like 1-2 shots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    This when i was ready to buy little samson i found the famicom version,cheaper in price.I can say the same to for gourmet world aka panic restaurant as well.I bought it loose recently for the famicom and it is cheaper compared to the nes one.

That's for sure, I found Gourmet World for $29 at a local store within the past few months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm thinking between my honeybee and the R5 maybe telling the US predator pool to 'f-off' and just buy the vastly cheaper Famicom stuff would be best. Stuff like Lickle and Gourmet World are not at a loss for words being platformers without stories really attached to the games. You don't have a continually flowing story between stages like some of those Disney Capcom titles we got that are up over $100 now among some other stuff. Look at PC Genjin vs Bonk's Adventure and Bubble Bobble 2 on either style of system. Same game, and no raping of the wallet. The crooks lose and you win having the game anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RoryDropkick View Post
    That's for sure, I found Gourmet World for $29 at a local store within the past few months.
    Cheaper then what i paid for.It cost me $54.00 though i bought mine from a importer based in the uk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see much point honestly. If you just want to play it, there's emulators, even though some people use flimsy excuses to not use them. If you wanted to try it on actual hardware, almost everything works on rom carts. People who buy the games are generally doing it for a collection stand point, but if you're collecting, then you're not collecting the same item as everyone else. It'd be like collecting one Chevy from every year since 1950, except for 1969 since you couldn't find any cheap, so you have a Dodge. Now if you plan on collecting famicom carts in general, that's a whole different ball-game, but you still need the US versions if you're going for complete sets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Only a fool would bother with the climate of the last 3 years to get a complete NES set as the prices thanks to predators is madness. Just because a high dollar US game isn't high dollar in Japan doesn't mean a Dodge or a Chevy, it means you decided to buy a foreign version of the same car, just so happens the steering wheel is on the other side but it still handles the same, just little things like the wheel and the lettering in the owners book aren't the same.

At some point you're pissing a mortgage worth of cash for a 30 year old video game, you need to have yourself psychologically evaluated.

Personally I'd rather do the following if the Famicom option wasn't that attractive. Buy a used or new gray shell. Buy a kazoo writer and an infinite lives board. Flash that $500 game to the chip and place it in the shell. Then i'd go find a high resolution clean image of the original label, have it printed as high of quality as possible, and stick it on there and be done with it. It would be basically the option of having a pretty kit car or an original one, both look and act the same, but one costs a crap ton less.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Hmm, well, I converted a 5-screw Gyromite w/converter to my own Gyromite-shelled Arkanoid 2, so that's something!
    Unfortunately, I was unaware the US Arkanoid controller is incompatible with Ark 2. D'oh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I just saw that in a sales thread on here the other day that the vaus won't work on arkanoid 2 so now I'm not sure I even want it anymore since the control won't be as nice and with it being much harder than the first I just don't know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I'd rather do the following if the Famicom option wasn't that attractive. Buy a used or new gray shell. Buy a kazoo writer and an infinite lives board. Flash that $500 game to the chip and place it in the shell. Then i'd go find a high resolution clean image of the original label, have it printed as high of quality as possible, and stick it on there and be done with it. It would be basically the option of having a pretty kit car or an original one, both look and act the same, but one costs a crap ton less.
    And make cases for CD-ROM games after you print labels? That's just having a physical copy of a game, you didn't "collect" it. To me, the famicom and domestic nes carts are separate items, so having one is not related to having the other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I never said anything about collecting. I'm talking about playing a game with a physical copy of it, that's all, not just some digital rom using an emulator. I started buying old games in 1995 and the prices of the last few years just sicken me so I'll find any way around being screwed paying too much for something that only is that high because of the same scumbag tactics that have ruined other hobbies every decade. As a kid I had baseball cards and comics ruined for me much the same way so anyway to fight the beast is good to me.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I just saw that in a sales thread on here the other day that the vaus won't work on arkanoid 2 so now I'm not sure I even want it anymore since the control won't be as nice and with it being much harder than the first I just don't know.
    You can get a Famicom Vaus controller. I have one but it has a different plug so you would need a famicom system, a Nes wouldnt work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    You can get a Famicom Vaus controller. I have one but it has a different plug so you would need a famicom system, a Nes wouldnt work.
    See that's the problem just have the new sharp and Retron5 so it's just not doable. Looks fun though either way.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I have an Arkanoid II Vaus but it doesn't seem to work with my official AV Famicom. I'm not sure if it's the controller or the console as I lack any other FC-expansion-port controllers to test it with. (I only play with standard NES controllers.)