Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got all nostalgic about FuncoLand and then this happened

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, I added a menu screen. Nothing to reference here so I had to make it up. What do you think?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thrsn View Post
    For some reason my FuncoLand (all FuncoLands?) kept the NES games on a shelf behind the counter making it impossible to browse. Instead I would stand there with my highlighted sheet calling off games one-by-one as the clerk looked for them. No, no, no, no, no, yes, no, no, no...
    Later on the stores near me only locked up games priced over $10, leaving cheaper games out on a shelf (so yes that Stadium Events I found once was left out chillin with the Bases Loadeds and the Super Mario Bros.. No armed guard/laser tripwire, etc. )

I noticed they never listed Nintendo World Championships. I wonder what would happen if someone tried to sell theirs to GameStop?
    (would they consider it a non-official game, since it wasn't retail?)
    Last edited by SparTonberry; 07-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason my FuncoLand (all FuncoLands?) kept the NES games on a shelf behind the counter making it impossible to browse. Instead I would stand there with my highlighted sheet calling off games one-by-one as the clerk looked for them. No, no, no, no, no, yes, no, no, no...
    That's what the FuncoLand near me did as well. I remember they stopped doing that once all the FuncoLands became GameStops and then all the games were out on the floor in stapled baggies.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

For some reason my FuncoLand (all FuncoLands?) kept the NES games on a shelf behind the counter making it impossible to browse.
    The funcoland stores near me had the nes and snes games displayed on the floor. When people would trade in nes boxes and manuals the people who ran the store would let me just take them for free. I asked them why one day and they said that because of lack of space they just throw them away (most of the time). I would beg the managers not to do so. A few times I would go into the store and they had a large cardboard box filled with nes boxes just waiting for me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funcoland was a very interesting company, I wish there was more background out there on the company and its history. My what I've read and been told is that the company started in the early 90's by just one guy who sold used Nintendo games out of his garage through the mail, and even though the company eventually grew very large encompassing hundreds of stores across the country, it was always just run by the one guy and a handful of his friends and family. It was a far cry from todays corporate owned Gamestop.

I was very sad when Gamestop bought them out, as it became immediately apparent that the retro games were not in that companies plans. I think Gamestop immediately stopped accepting trade ins on older stuff, moved it all from behind the counter to racks out on the floor, and spent the next year liquidating it all, and it all went. Although I do remember seeing ton of Genesis sports titles and copies of Top Gun for NES that lingered for years and were probably eventually thrown in the trash.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Somewhere I have a laminated copy of the last price list funcoland ever did for all the original nes, snes n64 and original playstation games. Its the flyer they used to have every month with all the prices of all the games made on it. kinda like this one: https://warosu.org/data/vr/img/0010/...7996526436.jpg

Not sure if it has any nostolgic value or not but held on to it all these years.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by chuckydj View Post
    Somewhere I have a laminated copy of the last price list funcoland ever did for all the original nes, snes n64 and original playstation games. Its the flyer they used to have every month with all the prices of all the games made on it. kinda like this one: https://warosu.org/data/vr/img/0010/...7996526436.jpg

Not sure if it has any nostolgic value or not but held on to it all these years.
    Wow, some of those prices have actually come down since then, like Bust-A-Move being $55? Ouch. That's even more than a CIB copy I once bought.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Flintstones 2 cheaper than Flintstones 1? Safe to say that is NEVER going to happen again.

Several of those came down.

In the case of Bust-A-Move, I suppose the numerous sequels.

What year is that? Because I'm sure in 2000, I only paid around $20 for a loose copy of Lufia 1, and that didn't seem like an unusual price on ebay.
    (then again in 2000 ebay was still primarily an auction site and not filled with unrealistic BIN listings that will sit there forever.)
    Chrono Trigger's price seems to have always been a bit of a roller-coaster. It was $60 then I see, but the one time I actually saw a copy in at GameStop after they switched to price-stickers (so 2003 probably), it was $40.

$65 for Breath of Fire II. I sniped mine on ebay for about $20 in like 2009 (if I wanted to guess a BIN then would've probably been maybe $40), though that seems to be another game with inconsistent value.
    Apparently Joe & Mac 1 is another. For awhile, it was like a $3 game on ebay, but last I knew it was like $20-30. I know the sequel was always a higher-value game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's also the only place you'll find a game called "Dudes with Tudes" or "Lethal Weapon 3" for the nes

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FuncoWorld is finally in the App Store. Hope you all like it. I had a blast making it. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/func...898098082?mt=8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

FuncoWorld is finally in the App Store. Hope you all like it. I had a blast making it. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/func...898098082?mt=8

How about a printable pdf version where you don't have to have iTunes or an apple brand device to use it?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    How about a printable pdf version where you don't have to have iTunes or an apple brand device to use it?
    Go for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'd like to see this in action. Are there plans for it to be on anything other than the overpriced hipster devices from apple?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'd like to see this in action. Are there plans for it to be on anything other than the overpriced hipster devices from apple?
    It's on the correct device to cater to yuppy instant collectors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good point, that does fit that well. I'm sorry I ever had an iPad2 at one point, damn thing has problems heaps have and apple refuses to correct or repair without a charge around its wifi setup among other things. I'm glad my kid broke the dumb thing and I had the $60 from gazelle on it along with some paypal bucks I saved up to replace it with a nicer android based option late last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Go for it.
    You go for it. You're the one with the list who made it.