Thread: Worth If Battery Is Dead?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Worth If Battery Is Dead?

I just bought a NES Koei game Nobunaga 2 complete in box for a good price, and it turns out that the battery no longer saves. What's its worth without the battery save, and how much would it cost to have someone put in a new battery?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The cost really depreciates quite a bit potentially, more depending on the buyers side depending on their skill set. If you have someone who can't replace a battery they may pay like half the going rate, or a little more if they know someone who can local or ship it off to which will cost them more cash either way. If it's someone who has the tools, battery and ability, then they'll pay closer to the value but still with some reduction (maybe a 1/3 or 1/4 off) because they can buy a battery(or have one) and do the work themselves.

I know some people for like $10USD will replace a battery for people plus return shipping, and others maybe more depending really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just learn to do it yourself,it will save you time any money and its not hard to do at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pikkon View Post
    Just learn to do it yourself,it will save you time any money and its not hard to do at all.
    Not going to happen. I hate doing that type of thing, and would rather just pay someone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I hate it too, but let me tell you, it's amazingly non-difficult. Radio Shack sells a total kit for $10.99 in store which has the soldering iron, a coil of solder, and a few other helpful tools too. All that's needed then is to buy a couple batteries for $5~ shipped off ebay which is what I did. You heat the solder on the back of the cart while using tweezers or something to hold the clip on the opposite(battery) side and just apply pressure. Eventually it'll heat to where it will slide free of the solder, repeat on other side. Toss battery, put the other new one in its place, reheat the solder on the back and set it in place that way or with new solder from the coil.

I never did it before and resurrected a Crystalis cart I got used about 5 years ago with a dead battery, also fixed up my Konami Gradius LCD which had a popped wire, and also my Crazy Climber tabletop which had 2 popped on a fat ribbon cable inside. I feared it for years and didn't bother, my hands shake a little, and I pulled it off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've watched youtube vids, and know it's supposed to be easy peasy, but it doesn't look easy when I watch the videos, and I'm amazingly regressive at anything involving the slightest modicum of coordination. I lost count how many beakers I broke in chemistry class. Does anyone know a cheap online resource for this, or I could sell it online with disclosure of the defect and buy another and have the seller partial refund the difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Toss battery, put the other new one in its place, reheat the solder on the back and set it in place that way or with new solder from the coil.
    I really hope you're not telling people to heat up a coin cell with a soldering iron.

Solder in a coin cell holder, then you can use regular replacement coin cells. Otherwise buy the coin cells with the solder tabs already tacked on. 99 cents at Console5.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    I really hope you're not telling people to heat up a coin cell with a soldering iron.
    It sounds like he meant the solder points on the back of the circuit board which hold the tabs in place. If so this would be correct advice.

I would also suggest going with a battery holder. If you get a good one installed properly it should be really beneficial both for practical use and value, nobody would have to worry about changing a dead battery again as it's an easy to use holder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Casati View Post
    I've watched youtube vids, and know it's supposed to be easy peasy, but it doesn't look easy when I watch the videos, and I'm amazingly regressive at anything involving the slightest modicum of coordination. I lost count how many beakers I broke in chemistry class. Does anyone know a cheap online resource for this, or I could sell it online with disclosure of the defect and buy another and have the seller partial refund the difference.
    The battery relacement is one of the easiest solder jobs you can perform. Its only two connections with large contacts compared to soldering in a chip. I just finished a Guide on SNES Battery Replacement involving adding a holder. The same principle will apply to NES carts. Really, a very simple job, practice on scrap PCBs first.

Game Cart Battery Holder Replacement Guide
    http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewt...897989#p897989

CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sell the holder shown in your guide, and at least in the context of SNES, frequently can be installed on the backside of the PCB without any trimming or modification to the holder. Saves some time (and sanity)
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No I'd never say to heat up a coin cell, I'm saying to head up the solder on the back of the board that secures it. There's a youtube video I happened upon looking for procedures to do my Crystalis. The one had the guy having the board held, heated the solder on the back for the battery tabs that go through, and pulling on the battery on the other end by the tab that's heated and it slid free. Took me maybe 10 min to get it off as I hadn't done it before.

I thought of the battery holder but decided against it not wanting to make any changes other than the battery itself as I know it can be a tight fit in there and I like to restore stuff as close as to original, not get creative.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    The battery relacement is one of the easiest solder jobs you can perform. Its only two connections with large contacts compared to soldering in a chip. I just finished a Guide on SNES Battery Replacement involving adding a holder. The same principle will apply to NES carts. Really, a very simple job, practice on scrap PCBs first.

Game Cart Battery Holder Replacement Guide
    http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewt...897989#p897989

That looks difficult for a non-teckie like me. Actually, I'll try to learn it at some point in the future when my batteries all start dying. As for now, it's the only game out of a large collection that has a battery save problem, so I'd rather just pay someone to get it done since my life is busy with other things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah it's kind of a techie thing and soldering is something I'm NOT comfortable doing on a regular basis, but seriously if I can do it, you can. If you just put the game board in a vice or hold it then heat the solder on the side opposite of the battery you can jimmy it out easy and just shove another into its place and add a new spot of solder. You don't need all the other junk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Yeah it's kind of a techie thing and soldering is something I'm NOT comfortable doing on a regular basis, but seriously if I can do it, you can. If you just put the game board in a vice or hold it then heat the solder on the side opposite of the battery you can jimmy it out easy and just shove another into its place and add a new spot of solder. You don't need all the other junk.
    Well, I think I can tie my shoelaces, that's about it for now. Like I say, I'm busy with other things, so I'll hold off on doing this myself until later on when I have at least a few batteries to replace to make it worth the bother. Are there any online services for this type of thing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Some people do it for a charge. There's a guy over at racketboy that'll do it for $5 plus cost of shipping both ways on your game. There also was a dude in the past on NA that did it too for like $10(not sure if that was flat or shipping on top.) The racketboy user has good skill from the look of it and you can go with another tabbed battery into the slot or he'll add a plastic clip so you can just slot new batteries in whenever/if ever needed again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As others have stated, battery replacement is super easy...so you should do it! OR! Because it's so easy, anyone could do it and the price of a cart with a dead battery is unlikely to suffer much. I would NOT send the cart out to someone for battery replacement; because it's so easy, I can't imagine the sale price would take much of a hit. Scenarios:

Scenario 1: You pay $10+ to have the battery replaced. Allot about two weeks for round trip service, then you can sell the product with a new battery. You're almost guaranteed to NOT get a premium for this.

Scenario 2: List the game as is with full disclosure with regard to the dead battery. If you take a $10 hit (unlikely, imo), you've at least saved yourself the trouble of sending a game out. If you take a $5 hit (more reasonable), you've come out ahead.

I used to seek out lots of Pokemon GB carts with dead batteries. Years ago, you could get these at a decent discount to the working rate, spend $1 and 2 minutes per cart to repair them, and flip the product at a nice profit. Today, there's almost no discount at all. Too simple a task.