Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a Nintendo 64DD worth getting?

Video game enthusiast/collector Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The8BitFamicon
    Steam
    OrdinaryOtaku (I only accept irl friends)

Default Is a Nintendo 64DD worth getting?

Today, I found the best deal ever. A 64DD CIB with 6 games for a good price of $1000. I'd really like this as a birthday or a Christmas gift, because I have no money of my own at the moment.

But I also thought "Man, $1000? That's quite a lot of money. I can buy a new MSI laptop with that to replace my crappy Y510p." But I also thought "OH MY GOD IF YOU GET THIS 64DD ALL THE RETRO GAMERS IN TOWN ARE GONNA WORSHIP YOU AND IT'LL BE SO AWESOME."

So yeah, I'm having a really hard time deciding whether I should get this or not. So is it worth to play and mess around with it? Or is it going to be another piece of junk that's going to be sitting, collecting dust, and plugged into the bottom of my N64 for the next ten years?
    My game consoles and computers:

Atari 2600, Famicom, Super Famicom, Famicom Disk System, NES, SNES, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance SP, SupaBoy, Xbox 360, Nintendo 3DS, Atari 800XL, Atari XEGS, Sega Saturn JPN, Sega Dreamcast JPN, Sega Genesis, GameCube, DS Lite, Intellivision, Nintendo 64, Atari Flashback 1, DSi XL, Lenovo Y510p, iMac G4, HP G60.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A grand is way too high, system runs $500. Betting most of the games included were Mario artist titles not worth much. Games were f-zero, the doshins, golf, and SIM city. Buy a pc-engine duo or us duo, and a few games, much more enjoyment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The8BitFamicon
    Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy_98 View Post
    A grand is way too high, system runs $500. Betting most of the games included were Mario artist titles not worth much. Games were f-zero, the doshins, golf, and SIM city. Buy a pc-engine duo or us duo, and a few games, much more enjoyment.
    Sounds good man, I will try to find a PC-Engine! But a Japanese one... lol

And that 1k does sound a little too high, you're right about that. XD

Atari 2600, Famicom, Super Famicom, Famicom Disk System, NES, SNES, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance SP, SupaBoy, Xbox 360, Nintendo 3DS, Atari 800XL, Atari XEGS, Sega Saturn JPN, Sega Dreamcast JPN, Sega Genesis, GameCube, DS Lite, Intellivision, Nintendo 64, Atari Flashback 1, DSi XL, Lenovo Y510p, iMac G4, HP G60.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryOtaku View Post
    Or is it going to be another piece of junk that's going to be sitting, collecting dust, and plugged into the bottom of my N64 for the next ten years?
    took the words out of my mouth. The N64 DD has no killer apps, only games that are mildly amusing from limited periods. Also, magnetic tape games go bad on their own very easily. This is why I hate the Famicom Disk System so much.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    took the words out of my mouth. The N64 DD has no killer apps, only games that are mildly amusing from limited periods. Also, magnetic tape games go bad on their own very easily. This is why I hate the Famicom Disk System so much.
    At least people found a reliable way to dump Disk System games. To my knowledge, DD games haven't been dumped and no one has figured out a way how to. The newest thing that came out for it was apparently a port of Super Mario 64 onto it but I think it was the same as the cartridge version.

If you have $1000 to spend, get a modded to the extreme Turbo Duo, a modded to the extreme Twin Famicom, and flash carts for both of those systems. You'll have probably $300-$400 left over and a lot more enjoyment.

As far as I'm concerned, owning a 64DD is solely so you can brag about it on collector's forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The8BitFamicon
    Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    If you have $1000 to spend, get a modded to the extreme Turbo Duo, a modded to the extreme Twin Famicom, and flash carts for both of those systems. You'll have probably $300-$400 left over and a lot more enjoyment.

As far as I'm concerned, owning a 64DD is solely so you can brag about it on collector's forums.
    Why would I need the systems modded? That does sound like a good idea, but I hate modded systems. lol.

And owning a 64DD so you can brag about it is so true. XD

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I won't say much because I'd just echo what has already been stated.

This is the only console or console addition that was made by a major manufacturer that I don't own. While I'd love to have one I can't come close to justifying the extremely limited games compared to the high cost of entry.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It is kinda neat, though, regardless of how long you're likely to use it.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I remember when the standard yellow box Randnet version with all the common software titles was being sold in bundles for around $300. That's when I bought my set. How prices have changed...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryOtaku View Post
    Why would I need the systems modded? That does sound like a good idea, but I hate modded systems. lol.

And owning a 64DD so you can brag about it is so true. XD
    The CDs for TG-16\PC-Engine games have no region protection, but the hucards do. On the US system, they flipped some pins around, and the US games actually check the system. So to play import games on a US system, you just need a very expensive adapter. To play US games on a Jap system, you have to modify it and use an adapter. There's mods people do where they take the pins that are different, and run them to a switch, so in position 1, it is Jap, in pos 2, it's US.

Many people use a TG-16 for the us hucards, and an import Duo for everything else. I have a US duo since I bought it from gamedude 20ish years ago, the us ones normally run a lot more. If you get a US system, you can play English hucards and all CDs EXCEPT arcade card CDs. With a jap duo, you can run jap hucards (Much more of them), and all CD games. And you can get an arcade card upgrade. Since I already own a duo, I need to get a PC-Engine w/cd-rom someday, but I've just never gotten around to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

64DD is about bragging rights and bragging is just shallow. If like me a $1000 is a LOT of money not easily pulled out of nowhere, and you've got a crappy old or dying laptop, use the money and get a new one. Thing of the hours you put on the computer now per day, average it a week, and you'll see the value is there. I doubt you could find much use with a 64DD to get 100 hours let alone a 1000 out of it before it becomes a dust trophy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let's put it another way. What's more impressive, for about the same price:

"Wow, dude, what's that thing under your n64?"
    or, "Da fuck dude, you own an arcade?"

Arcade machines average about $250 if you do your shopping, but you can get them sub-100 many times. Sherriff sales of bars are great for it, but selection sucks. If you want to pick your title, $400 is good for most games. Or spend the $1,000 and build your own mame cab.

Much more impressive to most people than some stupid ass Flintstones cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

...stupid ass flinstones cart?! But but...bragging rights, collector value, ability to hold it over others and get shiny icons for complete sets... Noooo!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bragging rights? How about getting something you will actually like and replay but thats also rare? Id take a Metal Slug 1 aes cart , a Panzer dragoon saga , over a cheetahman 2 any day. I cant imagine getting something rare and not being worth playing but thats just me.
    Last edited by Richter Belmount; 07-11-2014 at 10:46 AM.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    ...stupid ass flinstones cart?! But but...bragging rights, collector value, ability to hold it over others and get shiny icons for complete sets... Noooo!
    but but but, MORTAL KOMBAT!

Great thing is, if it was local, buy a cheap arcade machine, see if the 64DD guy would take it as a trade. People do not grasp the cost of arcade machines, so they vary in price a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Richter it was a joke, notice the smiley? It's a dig at uptight collectors and sites who try and control others and their habits. And yes really some people do just buy the spendy stuff so they can show off they have it, or a complete set, it's about bragging and ownership.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The8BitFamicon
    Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy_98 View Post
    Arcade machines average about $250 if you do your shopping, but you can get them sub-100 many times. Sherriff sales of bars are great for it, but selection sucks. If you want to pick your title, $400 is good for most games. Or spend the $1,000 and build your own mame cab. .
    Hopefully, I can get an arcade myself. I know of a place that sells arcades from around $400-$700. But I also think my parents wouldn't allow a giant 350lb piece of wood in my room. lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont know Flintstones 2 that doesnt seem so bad atleast its a fun game , would of been more obvious to me if you said something like action 52. :3
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    Bragging rights? How about getting something you will actually like and replay but thats also rare? Id take a Metal Slug 1 aes cart , a Panzer dragoon saga , over a cheetahman 2 any day. I cant imagine getting something rare and not being worth playing but thats just me.
    Can I get your Metal Slug 1 AES for a grand?

I kid I kid I know what you meant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Action 52 doesn't top out closer to 1K.