Thread: Using a North American slim PS2 power supply on a UK PS2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Using a North American slim PS2 power supply on a UK PS2?

My backwards compatible PS3 is starting to develop some issues that I use for PAL PS/PS2 games. I have a pretty good size collection of PAL exclusives, so I wondered if this was possible since it would be much cheaper?

I can get around PAL with ease I believe since I plan to add a nice external scaler one of these days like a XRGB Mini (PS3 upscales it to HD and negated PAL issues for me with my current setup). But I would rather not mess with a step-up converter if I didn't have to (Where as the PS3 was compatible with 110 volts).

Can I just swap power supplies, or are the power requirements for the console itself also significantly different between both regions? Note that I'm of course talking about the earlier slims, not the later revisions that internalized the power supply.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-13-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    My backwards compatible PS3 is starting to develop some issues that I use for PAL PS/PS2 games. I have a pretty good size collection of PAL exclusives, so I wondered if this was possible since it would be much cheaper?

I can get around PAL with ease I believe since I plan to add a nice external scaler one of these days like a XRGB Mini (PS3 upscales it to HD and negated PAL issues for me with my current setup). But I would rather not mess with a step-up converter if I didn't have to (Where as the PS3 was compatible with 110 volts).

Can I just swap power supplies, or are the power requirements for the console itself also significantly different between both regions? Note that I'm of course talking about the earlier slims, not the later revisions that internalized the power supply.
    What model is your PAL Slim? If it's the 70000 series with the external power supply brick than an American power brick should work fine with a European Slim PS2 being it's converting the voltage to 8.5v DC anyway and DC doesn't have the 50Hz/60Hz hassle of AC current.

As long as the console is getting the correct DC voltage and amperage from an official PS2 Slim power supply then it shouldn't matter what country you have it in. So do check the DC output voltage and amperage before doing it just to make sure.

Video signal you have taken care of since your using an XRGB Mini for RGB signals.
    Last edited by alec006; 07-26-2014 at 07:18 PM.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

In that case I wouldn't bother importing the PAL power brick. Unless it happens to cost so much less than a US version, to offset the price of a plug adapter.

Component is easiest if you're going to play 480p games. Beats dealing with PS2's sync on green excuse for VGA.
    Lum fan.