Thread: 3D Pinball Space Cadet...status?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default 3D Pinball Space Cadet...status?

I know this game long ago was licensed by MS for various versions of windows 32/64 bit through XP 64bit but dropped with Vista/7. They used to distro it on the CD as a pack in like Solitaire and also had it on various websites too to snap up if you wanted it.

I found this not too fairly recent (2yrs or so~) old story online off of a link from something unrelated tied back to this and looking through google it is all over the place from sites known to have legit files to download for free. Is this in fact still free or something that was and now isn't but is everywhere so no one cares?

The file I found is a modern repack so that it will work in Vista/7 32/64bit without the usual early era windows bombing 64bit Windows will whine over the installer not being compatible(16bit.)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe EA has the rights to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of the programs bundled with windows were never 100% free, Microsoft paid for them. If there's no value added by the software, they drop the license. In my line of work a lot of people complain about newer windows not shipping with hyperterminal, but the software was owned by Hilgraeve, and MS was paying for it. Very few people needed terminal emulation software, and those who do used stuff like putty, so they dropped it to help lower overall costs.

The best way to learn about WHY Microsoft does stuff is to read New Old Thing, a very very interesting blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/.../10378851.aspx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

3D Pinball Space Cadet was never available for free in a standalone version, no. It originated with the Windows 95 Plus! pack, but that was a commercial product and not a free download. The Windows 98 CD had an INF file that allowed for easy installation from the 95 Plus! CD, but that's as far as it goes.
    http://www.mdgx.com/newtip23.htm#3DPI

Pogo.com used to have The Sims Pinball, which is quite obviously derived from 3D Pinball Space Cadet, but that's been retired.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC5zUo3U5Dw

The commercial version by Maxis was called Full Tilt Pinball. Further details are easily found by searching.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)