Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most fun NES/SNES games - relive the console wars :)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was a huge Playstation fanboy tho, but I had to admit the N64 was great, and played a TON of Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros, just like everyone else. And Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Pilotwings 64 is pretty fun also, wat I don't like is it just gets real hard real quick, and its such a simple little game it's a mystery why it's so hard to land the plane exact sometimes. I played a little Pilotwings on SNES and that ones decent, also, but I will agree F-Zero is one of the best 16bit racing games I've played. I'm not crazy about racing games from this era tho, with 3D perspectives, even tho I played the shit outta Road Rash II on Genesis, the backgrounds scrolling forward just sometimes can be disorienting, but they're still fun. Super Mario Kart has the same effect for me sometimes, also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    Everyone says NHLPA '94 was the best one, but I played '93 and I thought it was great, so whatever.
    They used basically the same game engine. It's like John Madden too. Madden '93 is my favorite, but 92 and the original are pretty damn good as well. They are all running on a very similar engine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I very seldom do any PC gaming due to difficulties with slowdown or loading the older games (don't really like DOS box). I like Civ for SNES and Pirates! for the NES, plus the other Koei games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I want to try a bunch more SNES baseball games and see if I can find a decent baseball game (don't say Ken Griffey, because that's just not my bag for whatever reason. I know a lot of people love it)
    Although Griffey's MLB is one of my favorite SNES games, maybe the best SNES baseball game is Super Bases Loaded 2, so maybe you'd like that. You play a full season and the computer memory tracks the stats. I think I use auto fielding.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Mario Kart 64 was solid I just preferred the SNES one since it was even more racing skill based with the items. The Pilotwings game just felt weak, if you got beyond the visuals of the time amazing you it was pretty flat compared to the stages and changes the SNES had down to the whole hidden attack chopper game and the penguin thing too to name a couple. F-Zero X was pretty nice with the basic attacks, but the problem there was there were so many cars it kind of became overkill, just less intimate in trying to best times and stay ahead of the non-generics almost like a space rally car game in that respect. Starfox was really just a boost since the nearly 2 year delay on the thing killed Starfox 2, so it went from basic rail shooter to one with all range mode, tank, walking thing, and the submarine. I guess sometimes when you just add more complication to the mix is draws away the quick and immersive fun of something a little more simple on the surface but complex to finish in the long run.
    I agree, Super Mario Kart is really the one that requires the most driving skills and less power up skills of any Mariokart. It's also the only one, I think, where u hafta brake to make turns perfectly. Some may notice that as an imperfection in level design, but I like it. U need to pay more attention to ur speed because of this. The powerups are almost totally unnecessary also. I don't think I've ever won a race by knocking someone with a turtle shell right before the finish line.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was a total Genesis kid back then, I never played SNES till way later on, but since this is still on the topic of 16bit games, wat I spent a lot of time on was Road Rash II. Real fun classic.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll also throw out Arch Rivals on NES. It's a basketball game, I played a lot of sports games back then, but the cool thing is u can punch ur opponents in the face to steal the ball. Really hilarious and satisfying. The graphics and gameplay haven't aged that well for me, but its still fun. If u want a more unique NES sports title, I'd recommend this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    I'll also throw out Arch Rivals on NES. It's a basketball game, I played a lot of sports games back then, but the cool thing is u can punch ur opponents in the face to steal the ball. Really hilarious and satisfying. The graphics and gameplay haven't aged that well for me, but its still fun. If u want a more unique NES sports title, I'd recommend this.
    NES Dusty Diamond Softball has a similar style for the game of baseball.