Thread: THUNDER BLADE is coming to 3DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Exclamation THUNDER BLADE is coming to 3DS

Last edited by parallaxscroll; 08-07-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sweet! I could see buying that, but then again I'm still waiting on Afterburner and how long as that one been out over in Japan and NOT here. >:\ I have Galaxy Force so I know it can be done very nicely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good

Can't wait for wave 2 of Sega's 3D Classics program to make its way West. I'm in for the entire series (Fantasy Zone 1 & 2, Outrun, Afterburner II, and now this).

Looking forward to seeing what the rest of this year's selections will be (Last year had 8, I believe). Hope it's more arcade based releases like what we've seen so far this year. Crossing my finger's that Turbo Outrun makes the cut.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-07-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Eh? Thunder Blade is coming? But Thunder Blade came out in 1987!

Kidding aside, OP you should change the thread title to include "...to 3DS". To do that, edit your first post, and change the thread title there.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Sweet! I could see buying that, but then again I'm still waiting on Afterburner and how long as that one been out over in Japan and NOT here. >:\ I have Galaxy Force so I know it can be done very nicely.
    Yeah Thunder Blade was on the exact same super scalar hardware as After Burner II, Sega's X-Board, so Thunder Blade won't be a problem for M2 on 3DS

Galaxy Force II was a challenge for them since it was on the more powerful Y-Board but turned out absolutely flawless on 3DS.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Eh? Thunder Blade is coming? But Thunder Blade came out in 1987!
    Ha!

Kidding aside, OP you should change the thread title to include "...to 3DS". To do that, edit your first post, and change the thread title there.
    Usually when I try editing a title it never works for some reason I don't understand, but this time it did!

Features announced so far (translated)

- August 20th in Japan
    - 1000 yen
    - widescreen
    - moving cabinet effect
    - gyro controls and twin-stick controls via Circle Pad Pro

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/99761...o-3ds/69809803
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 08-08-2014 at 12:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Thunder Blade Is Getting The 3D Ages Remake Treatment
    By Spencer . August 7, 2014 . 11:12pm

Sega’s helicopter shooter, Thunder Blade, is coming to Nintendo 3DS on August 20. It’s joining the list of 3D remastered games like 3D Space Harrier and 3D Outrun.

3D Thunder Blade has stereoscopic 3D graphics and optional motion controls that simulate the feeling of sitting in an arcade cabinet. Sega also made a Special Mode which has a new final stage and the true boss at the end.

As of now, 3D Thunder Blade and the current wave of Sega 3D Classics have not been announced for regions other than Japan.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/07...ake-treatment/

https://twitter.com/okunari/statuses/497230953660424193

Yosuke Okunari /奥成洋輔
    ‏@okunari

@PBZReviews If a continuance is released any place other than Japan, I am glad. You should introduce hope into SEGA West.
    Western World, do your part, for those that have not already done so.

Buy the games in the first series, tweet, use social media in general. Spread the word.

We need After Burner II, Fantazy Zone, Out Run, Fantasy Zone II DX and Thunder Blade in North America and Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If Nintendo of America was ran intelligently, they'd be making sure these releases didn't slip through the cracks. Many of their most dedicated fans that spend the most money enjoy classic gaming and many of these releases are the cream of the crop where classic arcade gaming is concerned (And few, if any, devote the attention to detail that M2 does).

If I ran NOA and Sega's North American arm was taking a pass here, I'd be picking up the phone looking to make a publishing deal. But when they pass on top notch 2nd party material like Fatal Frame 2, obviously we can't count on NOA saving the day for 3rd party content if Sega doesn't deem the West as lucrative enough to release these to.

Going to be a real shame if this follows the Sega Ages line in Japan. Just when it was getting really good, North America was cut off on the PS2 and now might be here as well (Those 5 Genesis conversions we got in round 1 were fairly lackluster I thought, an opinion that seems to be widely held judging by the nature of season 2's releases to date).

I going to have to buy Sonic, Shinobi III, and Streets of Rage to show my support even though I have no real desire to have yet another version of each (I bought the rest minus Altered Beast when they were new).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-10-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Well said, Leo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

3D trailer on Youtube:

Info taken from NeoGAF:

-Stage select with high scores for each stage
    -Save state
    -Replay recording function with half-speed/double-speed playback
    -Move with either the circle pad, d-pad or touch screen
    -Supports Circle Pad Pro for use as a second throttle
    -Button configs that let you invert the controls for the top-down sections, tap/hold toggle for the fire button, etc
    -Five difficulty settings, including a new super-easy difficulty that removes environmental damage
    -Adjustable lives stock (6 max, 3 default)
    -On/off toggle for the "flight training" info
    -Optional gyro controls that mimic pushing the stick on a real cabinet; includes both "tilt" and "rotation" configs
    -Display options include original 4:3, 16:9, 16:10 (fullscreen) and virtual cabinet mode with moving housing; additionally, you can set the virtual cabinet mode to display the game in 2D but keep the cabinet/backgrounds in 3D
    -Two backgrounds for virtual cabinet mode: an arcade BG and a city/skyscraper BG
    -Volume settings for music/sfx/cabinet noises, plus an on/off toggle for cabinet noises
    -Sound test with equaliser
    -"Extra BGM" option that lets you listen to an arranged soundtrack (no idea if it's new or taken from some other port)

The big addition, however, is Special Mode! Unlocked by beating the last stage in the regular arcade mode, Special Mode includes the following features:

-New helicopter with altered handling and attack power; missiles will now travel along the ground instead of exploding on contact, allowing you to be more aggressive against ground enemies (I think? not familiar with the original game, so I don't know the context)

-New stage with a true last boss

-New enemy patterns and stage layouts

-New enemies not seen in arcade mode

-New title card/intro screens before each boss

-Different virtual cabinet displays with different movement parameters, environmental noises, etc

-Earn lives at the end of each stage based on your kill rate (again, not hugely familiar with the game, hopefully that makes sense in context); there are continues, but no stage select

There are probably some other smaller unlockables that'll be unveiled after the game's been out for a little while, like unlimited credits or extra cabinets/backgrounds, etc.
    Dragoon En Regalia
    (08-17-2014, 11:16 PM)
    Multi-Quote This Message Quote
    For the extra BGM, they're probably using Koichi Namiki's medley arrangement from Wave Master's dual Galaxy Force II and Thunder Blade music album.

This certainly sounds like the end-all, be-all SEGA 3D Classics releases. Getting all this content in + those extras must have been a challenge even for them.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...7&postcount=97

Watch Impress Japanese Interview

Part 1 (Three Pages)
    http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs...13_661729.html

Part 2 (Five Pages)
    http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs...20_662639.html

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Wow, this just keeps sounding better and better.

I know we can name a million blunders Sega has made, but what could possibly be a reason *not* to release these here? I understand the idea of doing it like the last ones and waiting until all the releases are done that way you can release them in one spread out lump, but pass on them completely?

For one, it's a tiny digital release, not a full scale physical product production run. I'm sure there's fees involved to release shit on the e-shop but that shouldn't be a big deterrent since there's a ton of sub-par GG Virtual Console outings on there. I haven't looked any time recently, and I obviously don't have sales numbers to back it up, but when I purchased all the previous 3D remakes it seemed all had a decent amount of MiiVerse community coverage and even had a decent amount of submitted user reviews (even for the ultra-low popular Altered Beast).

By no means am I an industry or financial expert but it looks like Sega has nothing to lose by throwing them out there on the US or Euro e-shops. All the coding work is done, little to no localization involved.... what's to lose?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

AZ agreed, Sega is a blunder wonder, but I hope they don't blow this and leave it overseas. I really dig Galaxy Force which I picked up and I do want this and Afterburner still. Here there is little to lose with them selling it here. It's not like there's a translation issue going on that'll cost them money, no need to package it, make printed paper, boxes, and the rest. They just need to submit to NOA, have them upload it in their schedule to the public and rake in whatever they get off it. That's the one good wonder of the annoying digital era taking slowly over things, low cost of entry, especially when the work is already mostly done for you too.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Watching that video crosseyed made my head hurt, but it looks neat.