Thread: Everybody thought Sonic 2 was coming out on CD...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Everybody thought Sonic 2 was coming out on CD...

I was looking at a bunch of Usenet posts back at the time of the Sega CD launch, and one thing I noticed is that a bunch of people seem to talk about Sonic 2 having a CD version on the Sega CD. It seems that somewhere along the line, Sega was just thinking of throwing Sonic 2 on a disk, adding some great CD music and a few cinemas, and then calling it a day. Maybe they were going to add a few extra levels to the game or whatever.

Instead, Sega decided to make a completely separate game than ended up being the Sonic CD game that was released.

I wonder if there is a proto somewhere out there with the iso of Sonic 2 on a CD with CD music. How awesome would that be ? I mean, I like the Sonic CD game quite a bit, but I think Sonic 2 is a better game overall, and it would be awesome to play it with some sweet CD quality tunes.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Whatever it is, it's probably not nearly as awesome as this fake "32X CD" version.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looking back at old usenet stuff is always hilarious. I remember looking at some alt.rap posters talking about how Biggie, Wu-Tang etc. were "ruining rap, making it too violent" etc. back in like '93 or '94 and it was like...Good Lord, if these people lived to see Chief Keef, they probably died of a stroke the minute they heard Love Sosa

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I was looking at a bunch of Usenet posts back at the time of the Sega CD launch, and one thing I noticed is that a bunch of people seem to talk about Sonic 2 having a CD version on the Sega CD. It seems that somewhere along the line, Sega was just thinking of throwing Sonic 2 on a disk, adding some great CD music and a few cinemas, and then calling it a day. Maybe they were going to add a few extra levels to the game or whatever.

Instead, Sega decided to make a completely separate game than ended up being the Sonic CD game that was released.

I wonder if there is a proto somewhere out there with the iso of Sonic 2 on a CD with CD music. How awesome would that be ? I mean, I like the Sonic CD game quite a bit, but I think Sonic 2 is a better game overall, and it would be awesome to play it with some sweet CD quality tunes.
    Part of this was due to Sonic 2 and Sonic CD technically being in development at the same time. A frequent argument you'll see in the Sonic fandom is who came first, Tails or Amy. Amy was technically created first, as part of the Sonic CD/Sonic 2 CD project, but wasn't released to the general public until Sonic CD was released, after Sonic 2, which had Tails. Tails came first publicly, Amy came first technically.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Sonic history has been so thoroughly investigated and documented at this point that if such a thing has not been discovered by now, it probably doesn't exist.

Apparently the game has been ported to the "Retro Engine", much like the current Steam release of Sonic CD, but the port is currently only available for iOS.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)