Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone here use HDTV's versus CRT's for classic consoles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I just never was a fan of the image bleed cheapy RF and RCA cables did on the old sets is all. I don't mind the softness so much, it's just that I got lucky with the new TV I have and it has a sharp image with no input lag problems so I get the best of both worlds of good needed response time and a sharp picture.
    I don't like a widescreen TV unless I'm playing games meant for them. You either have a stretched out screen (which looks horrible), or blacked out sides, which I find annoying. Playing games on an RGB monitor (1084S maybe?) is my choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Well the thing is, luddites just aren't going to win. CRT is dead and it's time to move along. I find it more odd you feel that CRT looks better. I'm curious what mental process goes into sitting a 20" CRT and a 20" LCD side by side and feeling the soft fuzzy/blurry quality of 480p and under has a more appealing look.
    Where s-video or component come in. Composite has flaws inherent to its design, CRTs reduce not remove them.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

My big problem is the N64. I was wondering if something like this would help?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B2B...iglink20340-20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Damn that's an expensive part, but if that could make a N64 display right on a normal modern TV without the issues with failed lighting and shadow effects just being black or the AA being overblown into a blobby mess on certain titles it could be worth it. Sometimes I debate if I should just sell the thing as I never ever use it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At some point we are all going to have to go HDTV. I guess CRT's are just a ticking time bomb at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

There's a video of some guy doing a test using SVideo on an N64 through an upscaler. They list the upscaler:a Portta PETCSHP and an Innovations N64/Gamecube SVideo cable. Looked fairly clean on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khTXtxYAXOY&sns=em

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by genesisguy View Post
    At some point we are all going to have to go HDTV. I guess CRT's are just a ticking time bomb at this point.
    No, because parts will always be available, and as retro continues to grow, new CRT's will eventually be made by some company, if they haven't already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    No, because parts will always be available, and as retro continues to grow, new CRT's will eventually be made by some company, if they haven't already.
    I heard on another forum where there is a similar thread going about the death of retro gaming hardware that CRT's are illegal to make due to the emissions of radon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That video Yoshi has an old link to the part, found one on ebay currently for $40~
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-Video-Comp...item2a424f2456

I'd love to know if this thing could fully make the N64 functional on a modern TV. It drives me nuts having to have it jacked into a stupid CRT because it can't play nice with lighting and shadow effects while other stuff turns into blobs of mud because some games used CRT display cheats to display games. N64 is like the ginger baby of Nintendo systems when it comes to TV as it just gets ugly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just never was a fan of the image bleed cheapy RF and RCA cables did on the old sets is all. I don't mind the softness so much, it's just that I got lucky with the new TV I have and it has a sharp image with no input lag problems so I get the best of both worlds of good needed response time and a sharp picture.
    What kind of TV did you get that has no lag? I need to upgrade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I heard on another forum where there is a similar thread going about the death of retro gaming hardware that CRT's are illegal to make due to the emissions of radon.
    I haven't heard anything like that before. Illegal where? The US?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    Even if some company does manufacture new CRTs they won't be the same high quality as CRTs built during their heyday. Would anybody still spend over $1000 for a new CRT television? Plenty cost triple that amount or more when new if you look at higher end models.

It's the same way with VHS machines, some are still being manufactured and sold new at retail stores today but they're cheaply made to keep costs low. Most people aren't willing to spend over $100-$200 for a new VCR anymore. It's better to get an earlier model from the late 90's or early 2000's and get them serviced if needed.

CRTs can last a long time if not abused. Arcade monitors can get burn in with always playing the same game for years on end, home TVs are better as you'll be playing different games on them or just watching movies or TV which don't have static backgrounds. Plenty of TVs are still working from the 1940's or 1950's, TVs from the 90's could last even longer. It's true about there not being vacuum tubes in modern displays but you can still service modern sets(it's mostly about the capacitors).

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You probably shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet, especially when it doesn't even make sense. CRTs do not emit radon (lol wut), although they do leak an inconsequential amount of radiation.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The best thing that you could do for 240p stuff is either invest in an upscaler like a Framemeister or go the much cheaper route and get a Sony PVM monitor that has RGB inputs. Most consoles can output or be modded to output it, and for the most part anything pre-PS2 will look its absolute best. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

A company in China attempted to manufacture new CRT's, but it was a financial disaster. Even in China, where materials and labor are cheap, the process was still too expensive given demand. This was actually to supply the arcade industry.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Leo/Gameguy I gather I got lucky up front, researched the best in range the second time last March.

Pre-HD I came off a 32" Sony Wega, 100lb beast it was. Before that was a non-flat glad death weight box, a normal RCA or Sony whatever it was 90s television.
    I wish my 32" Sony Wega Hi-scan HD-CRT was only 100 pounds. Mine weighs 165 pounds and I pretty much have to dead lift it onto a four wheel dolly to move it around. It has great picture quality for both HD and SD content, so I'd like to keep it around for as long as it will last.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 10-04-2014 at 10:14 PM.