Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, after 8½ years, I've finally displayed my CIB SNES collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default So, after 8½ years, I've finally displayed my CIB SNES collection

Well, half of my CIB SNES collection, anyhow. Last weekend, during the 3-day Labor Day weekend, I set out on a quest to finally pull my SNES cartridges, manuals and boxes out of their hiding places (i.e. bins, boxes, cabinets) and finally, I sat down to assemble and piece them together. I was inspired by Youtube movie critic Chris Stuckmann when I saw his N64 video this past June. He had his N64 CIB games covered in spiffy looking sturdy clear box protectors. I went on to contact Dan Godkin from RetroProtection.com, put in an order for 200 and began my quest to display my collection finally... after 8½ years.

So just to preface this... I have around roughly 400 complete SNES American games with their original boxes and manuals. I only put together 200 this past weekend, and plan to do the other 200 sometime later this month or next. I am done buying, essentially. I really haven't bought anything since 2012's 3 Ninjas Kick Back box. Most of these games, manuals and boxes were procured in 2006-2007, when they didn't cost me much, especially when compared to today's prices. For example, I got the Hagane box and manual for like $10 total back in 2006

I'm not going for a complete collection, as that never interested me. I only wanted to buy games I was ever curious about and wanted to own (still ended up being a good 55% of the SNES library).

OK, enough yapping, on with the pictures!

Here's how it began Friday night... right before the big 3-day weekend. BTW, I love the feeling I get on Friday nights as soon as I wrap up the work day. There are few feelings better in the world than "punching out" on a Friday, knowing you have the next 50 or so hours to relax, hang out with loved ones, play the next video game on your queue, or take care of various projects around the house. LOVE THAT FEELING.

I had kept all my SNES stuff hidden away all these years. It was time to finally put them together. It became a 3-day project. Finally, on Monday night it was completed...

I stood back to admire it for what felt like 30 minutes. The retro gaming geek inside me wanted to shed a virtual tear, lol. It was so beautiful, and I sort of kicked myself for waiting almost 10 years to do this. But, doing it so late did give me a chance to be reflective, as I flipped through over 200 box covers and manuals... lots of memories came roaring back to the surface. Of how I acquired a game, of the memories I had playing these games over the years. It was awesome to recall.

BTW, I know, I need to put them in ABC order. That's the next weekend project, along with putting up the 200 others still waiting to be assembled. Oh, that black box with no label at the bottom right there is Robocop vs. Terminator, which was the only SNES game to come in a special "hard shell" box if I'm not mistaken. It's also the only one without a label on any of its sides.

Can't wait to get the other half of my collection boxed together and then put them all in alphabetical order. Gonna look real sweet. BTW, Riddick Bowe Boxing is an interesting one. I think it might be the only SNES box that doesn't incorporate a traditional "mostly black" side. I thought that was kinda cool. It sticks out. You look at it and it catches the eye because it's different. I haven't played the game yet myself, but I've been wanting to since 2006 when I first bought it, lol. And I've heard some decent things about it. Playing through my SNES library is essentially a lifetime project! I've played maybe 200 the last 8+ years, and still have about 200 more to play/beat. It's the library that keeps on giving.

Look at that! Just gorgeous

As a gamer, there are few things more satisfying than to walk into your game room/cave and scan your hundreds and hundreds of complete games. It's like you took a time machine back to the '90s when you were a kid standing inside a SOFTWARE ETC. gawking at all these titles, dreaming of the day where you could own even just a fraction of them. Today, many of our collections rival the ones we saw in gaming stores back in the day. Even, surpassing them. It's a trip! It really blows my mind when I sit and think about it for a moment. One guy put it best years ago when he said "I feel like I'm fulfilling my childhood dreams."

It's an awesome feeling to finally see my SNES collection displayed. I love knowing I can pick any of these games to play at any time, whenever the whim strikes. And, it just looks badass. I know SNES boxes get a bad rap but, maybe it's because I grew up with them, I personally love the way they look. Now, how fragile they are, not so much. But the look itself, I dig.

I still gotta box the rest of my stuff up and put them all in ABC order. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. It was a really fun Labor Day weekend project... one of those gaming-related weekends that you'll remember forever. Don't you just love those? They're the best, especially the ones where it kind of falls into place naturally.

I also did a brief write-up of this on my website and shot a 4 minute video. Feel free to check out either below:

http://www.rvgfanatic.com/7443/1893806.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al24ka93ek8

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey brotha man! First off.. sweet ass collection you have there. I can just imagine the feeling you get now every time you look at it. lol.. It's like Toys'R'Us in the mid 90's...

I can really relate to your story man... right now I have all my games tucked away various boxes, bins, and drawers...pretty much in any area of the house I can squeeze them into. They've been tucked away for at least 5 years ...but over the past year, I've been SLOWLY organizing them... getting them ready to one day.... one day, be displayed on a shelf in all there glory... with box protector's of course

As I go though my games.... the memories of where i bought them, the deal i got on them.. come roaring back.. and i love it... it's amazing how you can remember where you were, and who you got them from... just by looking at the game in your hands.

And coming home on a Friday, after a long work week... and just knowing you have that free time to do whatever it is the hell you please... well that feeling is hard to put into words.. but I totally feel ya on that!

take care,
    Retro

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Love it, nice to see that. I feel you on having things and not being able to see or enjoy them. A decade ago I had to peel off well over 1000 games and they weren't so easily stored viewable as it was, and I had all the boxes/manuals to N64/GBC forward and books+stuff for before that and all that paper was kept in closet shelves stacked to the ceiling. Even with it small compared, before being where I am now with a room, my walk in closet had a small wall just with all the stuff jammed on it rudely with more in a shoes under tote below the bed. The little I have now (300-310 games) now are up on a shelf along with my other gaming trinkets and stuff and it's fun, also easy to get into when you can get to it fast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beautiful collection my friend.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kamakazi5
    PSN
    soal
    Steam
    kamakazi55

Awesome post and collection. When you talk about that feeling as a kid standing in a Funcoland or Toys R Us with all those games surrounding you, it's the exact reason I love collecting. I don't have tons of time right now to play but just walking into my entertainment room and seeing them all is a great feeling.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome collection. Always cool to see a nice SNES collection.

So, does anyone out there or on youtube or something have a complete SNES set? I've never heard about anyone procuring it. I love the SNES and I'd collect more for it if it wasn't so pricey. I own about 630 games now, I still buy games like they're goin out of style, but I'm really only interested in finishing an NES set. Which I know will get expensive, but even a good 500 NES games, I'm happy with. All the other systems I own I'm really only interested in getting games I wanna play.

Perhaps if and when I get more space to hold more games, I'll go more hardcore, but for now I only have so much space.
    Last edited by Arkanoid_Katamari; 09-08-2014 at 01:25 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    Awesome collection. Always cool to see a nice SNES collection.

So, does anyone out there or on youtube or something have a complete SNES set? I've never heard about anyone procuring it. I love the SNES and I'd collect more for it if it wasn't so pricey. I own about 630 games now, I still buy games like they're goin out of style, but I'm really only interested in finishing an NES set. Which I know will get expensive, but even a good 500 NES games, I'm happy with. All the other systems I own I'm really only interested in getting games I wanna play.

Perhaps if and when I get more space to hold more games, I'll go more hardcore, but for now I only have so much space.
    Remember, Byuu used to when he made his emulator but he sold it to a NintendoAge member.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Steven, those are perfectly sized shelves for the width! I love it! I remember your snescentral post on 3 Ninjas. I got mine from buying an eBay lot of 400 boxes and manuals. Ended up having to trade the manual for it in order to get the last missing boxes I needed.

I had a full CB set for NTSC-U (US, Canada, Mexico.) About 725 games with box and cart. Of those, around 625 of them had manuals. I was completely out of cash, so I couldn't finish the manual collection then. I sold that and built an even greater set.

I now have a full CIB set for NTSC-J (Japan.) All 1,442 games with box, manual and carts. All prize carts, all not for sale carts, all special edition and deluxe editions, all re-releases, etc.

This is the new wall of doom:

A lot of people don't like the SFC set because it's in Japanese, but I adore it many times more than the US set. The box art was orders of magnitude better, and so many absolutely amazing games are Japanese only. Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy V, Terranigma, Chaos Seed, Far East of Eden Zero, DoReMi Fantasy, Magical Pop'n, Rendering Ranger (I hate it but others love it), on and on.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Terrific collection!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good job byuu. Haven't talked to you in a long while, had no idea you actually cracked that Japanese set entirely as that's even more impressive with all the quirky stuff. It maybe a pain with certain games with the language, but overall you get the non-watered down experience.

With the newest beta3 of the v2.0 firmware on the Retron5, some of those Japanese RPGs among others can be run in english every time if a IPS exists as it'll boot one if you feed the system it from a SD card into it's storage which is just astounding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Byuu,
    HOLY COW! That's an awesome collection! I knew SFC had over 1,000 games, but I never knew the number was 1,442. Nice display. It's like an old school library where you need a ladder to reach the items on the top shelf, haha. OK a little hyperbole but yeah, that's the kind of stuff we love walking into especially after a long work day. It's like a haven or refuge.

Quote Originally Posted by Retromangia View Post
    Hey brotha man! First off.. sweet ass collection you have there. I can just imagine the feeling you get now every time you look at it. lol.. It's like Toys'R'Us in the mid 90's...

I can really relate to your story man... right now I have all my games tucked away various boxes, bins, and drawers...pretty much in any area of the house I can squeeze them into. They've been tucked away for at least 5 years ...but over the past year, I've been SLOWLY organizing them... getting them ready to one day.... one day, be displayed on a shelf in all there glory... with box protector's of course

As I go though my games.... the memories of where i bought them, the deal i got on them.. come roaring back.. and i love it... it's amazing how you can remember where you were, and who you got them from... just by looking at the game in your hands.

And coming home on a Friday, after a long work week... and just knowing you have that free time to do whatever it is the hell you please... well that feeling is hard to put into words.. but I totally feel ya on that!

take care,
    Retro

Wow, we're like kindred spirits, man. Your situation sounds eerily like mine, lol. Yeah, definitely box and protect your stuff. Once you display it, post some pics! Yeah, looking at my collection takes me back in time... best part being knowing that you're essentially the store manager so to speak, and when you "lock up," the games are literally all yours. Bought, and paid in full. No loans, no more payments. The hard work has been done already. Great feeling.

Yup, it's crazy how all those old and even obscured memories will pop right back to mind just by picking up a game, looking at the back of the box or flipping through the manual. I had many 2006 flashbacks as I packaged my games together. Lot of Craigslist and flea market memories from the "good old days." Consider this, when I started back in early 2006, I was still an undergrad college student. That's a LONG time ago now, lol.

Can't wait for Friday night already
    Last edited by Steven; 09-09-2014 at 02:42 AM.

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I was meaning to reply to Rickstilwell1, but in hindsight I realize I may have stolen some focus your post Steven. Sorry about that =(

> With the newest beta3 of the v2.0 firmware on the Retron5, some of those Japanese RPGs among others can be run in english every time if a IPS exists as it'll boot one if you feed the system it from a SD card into it's storage which is just astounding.

Oh, neat. I heard it contained an internal hash list of bootable games. But with an IPS, you can turn any game into any other. Hopefully someone will use Alcaro's emulator detector on it. Spoiler alert: it's going to be detected as Snes9X :P

> but I never knew the number was 1,442

The exact number is really fickle. It depends on whether you count eg Thracia 776 vs its deluxe box set as different games, if you count not-for-sale games like Kunio-kun Tournament Special (between 8 and 25 were made), if you count the single existing gold cart of Yam-Yam, whether you count Nintendo Power, BS-X Satellaview, Sufami Turbo, etc etc etc.

But yeah, roughly around 1,442.

> It's like an old school library where you need a ladder to reach the items on the top shelf

Correct. I can't reach the top shelf without a chair, and the second from top is quite hard. The wall is 8' long and goes up 9' high.

It took a long time to come up with a shelving layout that could fit nearly all of the games on that one wall. I still needed an extra bookcase for some games, plus all of the special packaged games. Japan was *way* worse than the US in that regard.

> that's the kind of stuff we love walking into especially after a long work day

It has a funny smell to it, for sure. When I stand next to it, I actually kind of get worried that the shelves are going to collapse and I'll be crushed to death by games :P

I have twelve 2.5" galvanized steel screws directly into studs holding up those shelves on steel beams, but I'm still terrified that they'll give out at some point :P

Each game weighs between 8oz and 1lb or so, thus we're looking at ~700 - 1400lbs on those shelves.

> The hard work has been done already. Great feeling.

Honestly, to me, I think I really enjoyed the chase more than the catch.

Don't get me wrong, it's really great having the set. But I really enjoyed the **extreme** difficulty of tracking down Japanese prize edition games with distribution counts between 8 and 200 copies in the world. Had lots and lots of help, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, you really should have done that years ago, especially if you have the room to display them. I don't go as far as alphabetizing my games, but I do group them by type (action, RPG, ...ect).
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

I so totally thought the topic said "Ive finally PLAYED my cib snes collection" boy is my face red. Great collection though
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

What are those plastic cases to protect the boxes? Impressive man, I salute you!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    What are those plastic cases to protect the boxes? Impressive man, I salute you!
    I got them from RetroProtection.com. Dan Godkin runs that site and is a great business man. Very polite and fast to respond. I'm totally satisfied with the box protectors and have already put in another order for 175 more. They make the boxes look even better and I feel right knowing they're protected. For anyone who has lots of SNES or N64 boxes, I highly recommend RetroProtection.com. It's a worthwhile investment!

Well, like I said, I ordered 175 more protectors and also bought 100 white tray inserts. Gonna try to box up the remaining 180 or so games I have. My CIB SNES collection is right around the 380-390 mark. Should be finished by Halloween and I'll bump this thread whenever I have new pics of the full set up.

Brand new URL!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I got them from RetroProtection.com. Dan Godkin runs that site and is a great business man. Very polite and fast to respond. I'm totally satisfied with the box protectors and have already put in another order for 175 more. They make the boxes look even better and I feel right knowing they're protected. For anyone who has lots of SNES or N64 boxes, I highly recommend RetroProtection.com. It's a worthwhile investment!

Well, like I said, I ordered 175 more protectors and also bought 100 white tray inserts. Gonna try to box up the remaining 180 or so games I have. My CIB SNES collection is right around the 380-390 mark. Should be finished by Halloween and I'll bump this thread whenever I have new pics of the full set up.
    Yeah i'm starting to use the cases they have for my atari and tengen nes stuff.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by byuu View Post
    I had a full CB set for NTSC-U (US, Canada, Mexico.) About 725 games with box and cart. Of those, around 625 of them had manuals. I was completely out of cash, so I couldn't finish the manual collection then. I sold that and built an even greater set.

I now have a full CIB set for NTSC-J (Japan.) All 1,442 games with box, manual and carts. All prize carts, all not for sale carts, all special edition and deluxe editions, all re-releases, etc.

I swear, this forum humbles collectors like no other.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

just curious on total cost for the plastic boxes with shipping included, cause I imagine with that many its a weighty shipping bill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I say order them chronologically.