Thread: Favorite Plug N Play Systems

Insert Coin (Level 0) nosweargamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Favorite Plug N Play Systems

In the next month or so, I plan on doing a batch of Plug N Play reviews on my Youtube show. I also am excited about the upcoming Colecovision Flashback.

So this got my curious: What's your favorite Plug N Play Systems?

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

There is a Commodore64 plug-n-play joystick I had awhile back, it was pretty good and had a unique selection of games. I think it might be kinda hard to find though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    There is a Commodore64 plug-n-play joystick I had awhile back, it was pretty good and had a unique selection of games. I think it might be kinda hard to find though.
    I have that one and it's very good. Found it in a construction dumpster at work of all places which I was happy about because I've never seen it in stores or thrifts or anywhere for sale.

I really like the Space Invaders (the older, Radica version) pnp that has games like Qix, Colony 7 and my favorite - Phoenix.

I personally don't put the flashback systems in the pnp category, although they technically are. They just seem like a big step up from an all in one joystick since they have dozens of games compared to 5 or 10 and are consoles with separate controllers, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    I have that one and it's very good. Found it in a construction dumpster at work of all places which I was happy about because I've never seen it in stores or thrifts or anywhere for sale.
    The one I had, I got at salvation army for 4$. It was sitting there for like 3 months and I ended up buying it after I realized it was something good and not just another common plug-n-play. Its the type of thing alot of people might overlook. I ended up selling it because at the time I had a huge C64 collection and it sold for like 40-50$, which I found surprising.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I like the c64-in-a-stick a lot, it's unique and fun, especially since it can be hacked to take a disk drive, keyboard, and so on. Jeri Ellsworth will forever be a nerd hero for her work on that toy.

Similarly, the Atari Flashback 2 is awesome, it's a VCS-on-a-chip and can take a cartridge port if you do a little soldering. I love the concept even though I haven't done the surgery myself.

Another favorite is the AtGames portable Sega Genesis, even though the sound is imperfect, the price was amazing and it had an SD card for easy use of ROM files. Supposedly they're upgrading it for a re-release this year, with save states and better emulation.

The Radica joystick with Space Invaders and Phoenix felt right, but the games were missing some sounds. Drag. I preferred the little Jakks Pacific arcade joysticks full of Namco games, with twist control for Pole Position. Rad.

I'm really looking forward to the Colecovision Flashback and Intellivision Flashback later this month.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I've yet to really try any but would like to get some of the atari ones and have seen some sega also this should be a nice set of reviews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've messed with various versions of the Jakks Namco setup, but the one I've held onto ultimately is a battery whore to the extreme using 2 x 4batteries (unit+joystick) and it's the Ms Pac-Man wireless unit that saves your scores.

Another I've held onto is the revised (gold faceplate sticker to ID it) Golden Tee Golf for TV. The newer version saves your scores, has driving practice, and 3 courses and is up to 4P, and the original blue one was crap with just 18 holes and that's it.

Like stated I've heard the C64 and Space Invaders(w/qix etc) are excellent too, just have no experience w/C64 to ever care and the other I've just not seen at retail or thrift before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Jakks Pacific gamekey Ms. Pac-Man unit with the twist knob for Pole Position has seen a good bit of use here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the one that has Galaga Ms Pac Man Pole Position a couple of others and Mappy...can't get enough of Mappy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I had an Atari Flashback 2 and it was pretty good even considering the 1/2 the games diddnt work. The only thing about the flashback systems is that if you already have an atari its better just to get a harmony flash cartridge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

here's mine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The best flashback 2 is the version that on board when you open it up shows you were to solder(attach) a 2600 cartridge slot to it. You just cut away a clear spot on the system I'm sure due to the markings on the board was intended for this so you can slot any 2600 game in and play it. Of course you have to have the patience and skill to attach the thing and dremel out cleanly a cartridge slot but it would make a nice modern 2600 to use with native a/v (mono) support.

Insert Coin (Level 0) nosweargamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did a review on the Namco Mrs. Pac-Man Plug n Play. While I didn't like it on the whole due to lack of continues, I really like the twist knob control on Pole Position. It actually was the best home port I've played of the game.

I also like the Atari Paddle plug n play since you really can't replicate the paddle experience any other way. I also echo my fondness for the C64 and Atari Flashback 2.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Only plug n' play system I own is Kenshin Dragon Quest. It's in Japanese but if you're ever played Dragon Quest Swords on the Wii you get the general idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I like the Atari Flashback 2 for its authenticity. I am looking forward the Atari Flashback 5 owing to the expanded game library.

I am also quite fond the Jakks Pacific Atari Plug & Play Paddle sets, both the single and paired controllers. I will frequently pack the single with me when I am on business travel because Super Breakout is a nice way to unwind. The paired set is nice for when you can talk someone else into some old school Pong-type gameplay.