Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SLaVE for SEGA Dreamcast

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I wouldn't really say that is directly related to crowd-funding, though. Anything that's crowd-funded and on a retro console is obviously a homebrew (or otherwise unlicensed), and when you're talking amateur-made products, there's usually little chance that they'll compete with the best official games, since those were professional efforts created by teams of people funded by big publishers and designed with big sales in mind.

If you don't limit it to new games for retro consoles, I think there are plenty of great games that have come out of crowd-funding. But the campaigns themselves are often problematic. In most cases, I would prefer to just buy a game later on the regular way than deal with the frustrations of being a backer.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

The only decent looking crowd funded game on old consoles is Sydney Hunter. I havent been willing to part with my money for it yet but I applaud them making a game in the spirit of traditional side scrollers

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

does this game simulate indentured servitude?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Does anyone else feel like a SLAVE when they sit by the window staring at their mailbox, wondering when their copy of Sl@VE for the Dreamcast is gonna turn up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Awhh, seeing this thread, I thought there might be an update.
    It's hard to believe they've left this drag on this long...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    Awhh, seeing this thread, I thought there might be an update.
    It's hard to believe they've left this drag on this long...
    Well I had a feeling this game may never come to fruition. But I figured for only $20 Id roll the dice. they probably abandoned the project years ago

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I think developers make much ado about nothing over stuoid minor bugs. to me, graphical glitches are usually fine. it's only an issue if the game freezes up or corrupts your save data or prevents you from beating the game.

Just remember that Pokemon Gen. 1 had more bugs than any game in recent memory but didn't stop it from being one of the best selling GOAT

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Oh SLaVE why do you tempt me so?

What's kinda funny is that there's already a game on the Dreamcast called Slave Zero and it actually looks really fun. Mech shooter

I think at this point the creator of Slave has moved on to something else. I mean hopefully the guy is okay. I just dont like the whole thing of saying "oh yeah it should be done very soon!" like what's the hold up at this point?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Last I heard over at the Dreamcast-Talk forum, SLaVE's remaining programming problems are free-after-use memory bugs that cause the game to freeze up, preventing you from completing the game. It happens after about four levels. Before that it was a bug that caused the levels' lighting to be blacked out so you couldn't see anything.

I really hope that the general public gets this game one day soon, both for the game itself and for the modified DOOM engine that it runs. Both would be good for the Dreamcast and retrogaming communities.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Doom engine?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Doom engine?
    It's mentioned in the first post of this thread.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Hey all you 'Slaves out there! Just wanted to give you an update on what I've learned about the latest in development: Nothing! Zilch! Nada! Yep that's right still no word after checking the GOAT Store. I did notice that if you click the link to pre-order the game it takes you to a 404 Error page. Not a good sign. We'll check back in a few years and see where we're at while they're "slaving" away (Get it? Slaving, like the game title. Okay I'm done.)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Actually, the GOAT Store retired its old CMS software from its Web site to replace it with new, more modern software, so a lot of the old pages' addresses are giving 404 errors now. It is not a SLaVE-only kind of a thing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nz17 For This Useful Post:

gbpxl (03-23-2021)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I have no record of my purchasing of SLaVE as I dont remember what email address I was using four years ago and I cant access my PayPal records from that long ago. I also cant find the email address of whoever I should contact about this? Dan Loosen? Jay Townsend?

EDIT: Ok nevermind, I figured out what e-mail I was using. This is the e-mail I got from Dan Loosen on 2-17-21:
    Hi!

So, this is sort of awkward... but we need to send an update because we are about to announce that we're changing over our site... and I want to send an update explaining a big update with Jay Townsend's SL@VE, but while I truly believe that announcement is the closest it's ever been, this announcement isn't that.

So anyway, let me be really honest here - Like I've said before, we wish this project was completed. It is still being worked on. There are a ton of things behind the scenes that keep holding it back that are out of our control. I have been personally in touch with the developers in the past few days, and it has made steps. There are even some surprises for the delay that we've included.

But, I also don't feel comfortable talking about those until we actually go gold. I was under the impression in our last email that we basically were there. Long story short, the game worked... for like six levels, at which point we suddenly had a new game ending scenario. It's still being worked on, and I hope that in the very near future, we'll have good news. If the project ends, we'll be refunding everyone.

And, if you're done with waiting, no problem! Just email me back at this email address and we'll issue a refund.

If not though, I want to explain what is going to happen - in a little while, you may seen an email about how we are about to upgrade the GOAT Store site, and when we do we won't be retaining prior orders. Do not worry - your pre-order WILL be retained.

Finally, let's answer a few questions people have sent us recently:

Q. The game is no longer for sale on the site! Why not?

A. The game was always intended to be a limited run. Those spaces sold out! To make the process fair, when the game is shipping, we will open any orders that were canceled up to the general public.

Q. Why don't you communicate about the game more?

A. Honestly, we should have been, and this year has been very difficult for us. If you didn't know, we also run the annual Midwest Gaming Classic trade show in Milwaukee, which was shuttered at the very beginning of the COVID pandemic just weeks before it was to be held, and as you may be able to imagine, has taken up a lot of stress and time to deal with. At the same time, I didn't have much to say, so... yeah. Sorry.

Q. Can I ask you about the game?

A. My email address is very open, and I'm happy to reply to people. Having said that, it would be irresponsible of me to randomly tell people in email that the game is shipping or whatever, so I can't necessarily say too much more. I will tell you, *as soon as I have something to share, you'll be getting an email.* Promise.

Q. My address changed? Now what?

A. Before we ship the games, we intend to contact everyone to confirm your shipping information. We know it has been a while, and both Gary and I moved during this time, so we'll handle it then!

I think that is it. Again, huge thanks for sticking with us, if you can't stick with us any longer I totally understand (and then hit reply and we'll get you that refund!), and I hope to get you a final, playable, awesome version of this game in your hands ASAP!

--
    Dan Loosen
    GOAT Store Publishing / Midwest Gaming Classic
    Last edited by gbpxl; 05-29-2021 at 09:25 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

They said the game started glitching out after level 6. Id be perfectly fine with a copy that stops at level 6. the game is only 20 bucks anyways.