Thread: Lode Runner creator Douglas E. Smith passes away at 53 [Eurogamer.net]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow Lode Runner creator Douglas E. Smith passes away at 53 [Eurogamer.net]

Douglas E. Smith, the creator of the 1983 classic Lode Runner, passed away earlier this week.
    Born in 1960, he was 53 at the time of his passing. Load Runner IP holder Tozai Games left the following parting words in its eulogy of Smith:
    "It is with great sadness that we learned today of the passing of our friend and colleague, Douglas Smith, the creator of the iconic game, Lode Runner. Our hearts and prayers are with Doug's family during this difficult time. In Doug's honour, we call on the legions of Lode Runner fans everywhere to take a private moment to reflect on your own personal memories of Lode Runner. What a contribution Doug made to the video game industry.
    Read more…

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

My first experience with Lode Runner was on the NES around 1989 at one of my brother's friend's home. We played it for hours while our parents played board games together, trying to beat levels and playing with the level editor. I remember we thought we'd found a cheat code when we hit select and it let us choose levels. Some 23 years later, after my wife and I played board games with my brother and his wife, my brother and one of his daughters stayed over late. We opened my sealed copy of Cubic Lode Runner on Japanese PS2 and played until almost 3AM. We reminisced about the night I mentioned before, and marveled at how great of an update this new version was, while his daughter watched, listened, and played Minecraft on her tablet. It was another great night, and my niece occasionally mentions how much fun it was staying up with us and playing. Had it not been for that man and his creation, those two happy memories would be missing or different, and I love them.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What a young age to die! Although Lode Runner was before my time, I have played it on various platforms over the years and it has become one of my favorite action-puzzle franchises. I always wondered what Smith was doing these days. Well, he left behind a classic, that's for sure.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Okay, Necro-Bump, but I just saw this. Wow, I had no idea. Lode runner was seminal. One of the first computer games I played on my friend's IBM PC. The NES version is the one I spent the most time with (Hudson's contribution to that game's success can't be understated). I can't find a computer in the 80's that DIDN'T get a port of Lode Runner, and they're all good. That's the mark of a great game. The core mechanic is so good that presentation is a minor consideration, and it's stood the test of time.

We've lost some legends over the last decade. DES Was one of them.