Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "New 3DS" and "New 3DS XL" - Why (or Why Not) Will You Get One?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Arrow "New 3DS" and "New 3DS XL" - Why (or Why Not) Will You Get One?

More info in this article: Is the New 3DS More Game Boy Color or Game Boy Micro? - Editorial - Nintendo World Report

Basically the "New 3DS" and "New 3DS XL" will have two more shoulder buttons, a secondary analog "Circle Pad" nub for dual-stick software, screens with improved 3D viewing angles, camera-based head-tracking to keep the 3D screen parallel to your face as it moves to keep the 3D in focus, a microSD port instead of SD, an improved CPU, a better GPU, improved Web browsing, and a greater amount of RAM. Plus the regular-sized "New 3DS" will allow for the use of $10 face plates for the outside front and outside back of the console. The New 3DS's should retail for about $150 and $180 when they launch in North America.

Will you get one? Which one? Why or why not?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

They're still pushing the "3D" I thought they'd given up on that aspect? Having games only work on a newer version is unwise.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Will likely pick one up, addresses issues that I had with the XL. Only real downer to me is that it still has a resistive touch screen. That was fine in 2004, but the target audience of the system (and even the 2DS) grew up with a touchscreen that doesn't need a stylus. Could have been a problem that they fixed.

Again, I hope Xenoblade being a killer app causes other devs to use the power of the system. Maybe dual compatibility modes for both original and new systems? Hope it has more than just ports; rumor has it the long hoped for Majora's Mask remake as well as a port of Super Mario Sunshine are New 3DS exclusives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Greg: They kind of did give up on it, but I think they really didn't want to. As the original systems have shown if you angle it more than like 10 degrees off center view, it goes blurry double vision and that'll get your wrecked playing a game. Most people ended up just turning it off, as most people aren't robots who can hold a system rigidly like a demo kiosk while playing. The 'NEW' 3DS uses the camera on the front for some head tracking thing and a newer screen I guess communicates with it so now it doesn't blur anymore unless you view it at a pretty sharp angle which no one would do playing. Probably someone from the side watching over your shoulder or next to you in a car may see blur, but it'll finally get stable for players in front of thing which is huge.

Also having games that only work on it is genius from a marketing angle, and it's NOTHING new either. For all the pomp and puff about it, the Gameboy itself was also the Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Light, and Gameboy COLOR. GB Color has 4x the memory to use and 2X the CPU speed. The New 3DS appears to be the same thing going into it. What Nintendo does to cut costs, when they make a system they find a set of parts you can get cheaper by limiting their capabilities, kind of like intel and their crappy Celeron chips with 1/4 of the cache and less speed for a budget box. The 3DS itself locked the ARM11 CPU in there at 50% of its actual speed, and the memory they limited too, it can work with a lot more (just like GB was 4mhz, and the GBC was the same z80 at 8mhz.) It's just Nintendo up to its old games again like in the 90s with GBC and the DS/Lite to DSi in the 00s (which also 4x the ram and 2x the cpu it used to the max.) GBC was far from a failure with a lot of both hybrid (black cart) and GBC only (see through) carts. The New 3DS is going to do the same, hybrid and N3DS only games.

As for my choice, if it's not obvious with what I wrote. I'm buying it. I have a 3DSXL right now, but I find it restrictive. I love the 3D, it doesn't give me a headache or whatever, but I never can keep it from losing focus so that thing is huge. I also was big on the GBC and its exclusives, so to see the N3Ds doing this again I'm all in, and with the Wii being a pos I never got Xenoblade so I will buy that so that pleases me too. It's great they finally added a second stick, and all hands on stuff with it so far from random show goers and media says it's small but very effective for camera/aiming intents. I love they added a full modern console set of buttons with the added L and R up top too, and with the meat of the system being where it is, this thing could easily get handed some spectacular new games but also solid ports of existing stuff from the last generation or two (PS2 and lower tier PS3 era stuff) scaled to fit the thing if developers choose to. Odds are likely they will, it's not a Wii, and Nintendo handhelds have always been good profit for the console game makers so I can't wait to see what pops up. The only thing I'm not sure on, standard or XL. I dont' care really about faceplates, almost not a fan considering how easy they are to scratch and break on the GB micro I have and dust gets inside around them badly too which blows. Yet the standard unit has a larger screen than the 3DS does so the size isn't that huge of a gap with the N3DSXL so I'm not sure if I want to pay the extra for like 1 inch instead of 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Unless someone regularly utilizes 3D and feels like this enhancement would be a worthwhile justification or just can't go without a portable Xenoblade Chronicles, I think it makes more sense to wait.

With only Xenoblade Chronicles announced (Which doesn't interest me), no Circle Pad Pro games that interest me (And requiring patching they may or may not get to recognize the New 3DS hardware even if they did), a lazy eye that keeps me limited to 2D, and Super Smash Brothers (If I were even interested) and likely some other otherwise regular 3DS games using it for non-essential things like simultaneous Miiverse functionality, I can live without it.

Things like lighter weight and longer battery life are nice, but it's going to need a major game I can't do without or numerous lesser projects that interest me, if I'm going to ever upgrade to it.

And that's something it might never get since this appears to be more like a short-term life-extension (And a cheap way to get folks to buy yet another revision) rather than something more serious like the Game Boy Color was to the Game Boy that will stick around for 3 or 4 years.

With this announced game, it's already better than the DSi line of exclusive software was. But I bet it doesn't amount to more than 4 or 5 releases of significance. Unless there's an exclusive Zelda, Metroid, or Mario platformer in there or something like a classic arcade compilation that has a great lineup, I'll go without.

Plus, there's always the chance the real next gen successor, whatever form it may take, might be backwards compatible (A bit cloudy what, if anything, will be BC with all the hybrid console/handheld talk). If I'm patient, I might just get New 3DS functionality without paying extra to get it.

Worked out last time with the DSi (And the time before that, with the GBC).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-18-2015 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh I can understand the waiting. The same argument was made on the GBC and the DSi, wish I hadn't got the second, but to do without the first would have been a super shame. I think it will come down to enjoyment of the 3D finally working as advertised (like how the Wii didn't until motion plus), Xenoblade, and the other promised stuff which little is known so far. Circle Pad Pro games WON'T work with it. It doesn't detect the same from what I think I saw so far in a response on some site I read. The GBC exactly was what this is, a life extender. The GBC came out in 1998, was undone 3 years later in 2001. I see the same on this thing unless due to tablet heat they let it run longer to milk it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I didn't do without, I enjoyed what I could on my Super Game Boy (The black cartridges like Link's Awakening DX) and when the time came, bought the remainder that were dedicated GBC releases that interested me when the Game Boy Player and finally a handheld Game Boy with a nice screen (The backlit SP) hit the marketplace. And through my 3DS XL, I've enjoyed a limited section of DSi offerings.

It wouldn't shock me if the same could happen this time around with a bit of patience when the true 3DS successor releases, if there's even any New 3DS content that interests me in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Circle Pad Pro games WON'T work with it. It doesn't detect the same from what I think I saw so far in a response on some site I read.
    Which is just one reason I'm so skeptical of this thing when such a bizarre situation is happening that casts doubt that Nintendo has much in the way of a solid plan in place. And in reverse, Super Smash Brothers won't even recognize the Circle Pad Pro attachment despite utilizing those features on a New 3DS, which is even more strange.

At least one Circle Pad Pro release is getting a patch to utilize the equivalent controls on a New 3DS, so hopefully several others will follow suit.

Makes me glad that there's not much of interest to me where Circle Pad Pro enabled releases are concerned.

I see the same on this thing unless due to tablet heat they let it run longer to milk it.
    I don't, too many regular 3DS systems out there and if it was really a full fledged reboot of the 3DS like the GBC was for the GB, they certainly couldn't get away with launching a new system without any software for it (And without even a confirmed release date for Xenoblade Chronicles).

This will obviously be far more limited and fall somewhere much closer to the DSi in its level of significance. I think it primarily exists to sell a system revision and as a secondary goal, will help them slightly extend this diminishing system until Fall 2016 when both it and the console will be replaced with hybrid hardware.

Thanks to that and the 3rd party situation, I'd be surprised if it ever surpasses a half dozen releases of any significance that are tailored around its extra horsepower and can't run on existing 3DS hardware.

I'd love to end up wanting one though. Something like an exclusive Metroid adventure and I'd be there.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-06-2015 at 05:35 AM.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is crazy. They have 5 different versions of the 3DS now. No, not different colors, not minor technical revisions, not slight variations, but 5 full blown out versions of the system. It's a good upgrade, but holy crap.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, but chances are the 3DS and the 3DS XL will disappear after Christmas. So while there will be an overlap period, we should again return to three choices on store shelves in short order.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The 3DS itself locked the ARM11 CPU in there at 50% of its actual speed
    Didn't the PSP do something similar with its CPU? I thought it was a power consumption thing. (They did unlock it in a later firmware revision, though.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Jorpho, not quiet. The PSP was open ended out of the box, it didn't get capped exactly. You could run it from a range of speeds up to the max, and obviously the faster it went the faster the battery went too. I think most games ran around the middle, but a few used it a lot and would run it dry quicker.

Leo I'm sure you didn't. But going into it pretty quickly it started to get stuff I knew I'd put a good many hours into and news was out there for it in advance so I dove in. Id hate to think I missed out on Mario Golf, Warlocked, Metal Gear, Dragon's Lair, 1942, Street Figher Alpha and others I once I had. I think Nintendo has a solid plan in place, and i think they've had it there for awhile. I think they also planned the DSi enough in advance too which is why both systems had processors scaled back to abuse later to drag out more time. They knew it worked on GBC so they did it again. It fits well not supporting the circle pad as planned, it drives more people to buy the N3DS because snapping up a 20 dollar strap on stick/buttons is not being given as a choice so it forces the buyers hand. I had one for a time, got it for $10 so I wasn't too upset when I ended up having 2 games that genuinely used it, then I sold it.

The thing is they're not releasing it with a single release, they're just not spacing it out. You get the unit or the XL model up front, instead of waiting a year and pissing people off again who have griped about those tactics even NOA has mentioned in their chit chat with the media types online. Sure there are too many 3DS's out there, but like with the DS and Gameboy there were a ton of DS/DSLite and GB/GBP units before them. They did it anyway twice before. I think it'll stick around probably 3 years maybe 4 into the life of a real replacement and in that time you'll get a mix of hybrid and unique games. I for one hope you're right about the hybrid hardware, I've said it before on here enough and elsewhere that they can't compete on consoles but stubbornly won't let it go. They need a non-compete all in one box, structured like the Neo Geo X was where you can dock and go at it with the TV and undock and have a screen good enough to still keep the quality there for the user. Given technology and what people in general expect from a portable it could be done in the $300 range I bet which would be consumer acceptable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The upgraded 3D is enough reason for me alone, i use 3D all the time but i find it hard to keep it in focus.

Already got mine coming on oct 11th, can't wait.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Yeah, but chances are the 3DS and the 3DS XL will disappear after Christmas. So while there will be an overlap period, we should again return to three choices on store shelves in short order.
    Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    This is crazy. They have 5 different versions of the 3DS now. No, not different colors, not minor technical revisions, not slight variations, but 5 full blown out versions of the system. It's a good upgrade, but holy crap.
    Well, as long as Nintendo pulls the older ones from retailers when debuting the new ones, consumers shouldn't be overly confused. 95% of 3DS users probably won't care at all to "upgrade" unless they've beat their current one to hell. Sony did this with the PSP, so many different iterations, but I think with hand helds people are okay with it. Look at how frequently they upgrade smartphones, often costing more $ than a new 3DS.

What complicates is that now, similar to GBA, you'll have to start asking for serial numbers from ebay sellers if you want a specific version!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They're not going to pull perfectly good hardware off the shelves. They're going to do what's always done during a new model introduction, just not replenish the old model.

With the right timing with their final replenishment of older hardware and something like a March launch, they could easily even have the 3DS and 3DS XL almost extinct from retail by the time these new models are introduced if they wanted to avoid an overlap period.

We've seen it before like the older PS2 model drying up and disappearing as a prelude to the slim PS2 launch.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-21-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

This puts me in a difficult situation.

On one hand, the new capabilities seem awesome.
    The two issues I've had with my 3DS XL seem to have been addressed: hard to focus 3D and CPU lag.
    -The 3D can become out of focus and extremely frustrating in car rides or anytime I wouldn't be completely still.
    -The CPU lag is not noticeable at all on most games, however in Pokemon Y it lags a ridiculous amount during battles (especially if the 3D is turned on)
    If this truly does address these concerns, I may just have to pick one up.

On the other hand, however, I would have to sell my current 3DS XL to pay for the New 3DS XL. The reason I don't want to part with my system is because it is a limited edition Legend Of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds gold colored system that looks incredible. Here's a pic of it http://images.nintendolife.com/news/...ent/0/630x.jpg

When the time comes, I will most likely spring for the new system. For now, I'll keep on enjoying my Golden 3DS XL
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

[YouTube Link] [eBay Link] [Digital Press Link] [Sega-16 Link]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a 3DS (XL) pretty recently, and I literally ordered myself a Circle Pad Pro (XL) the day before the announcement. Fortunately I don't care for Smash Bros., but I will be very irritated if other games join suit with not supporting the CPP while supporting the same functionality on the New 3DS (and still being original 3DS compatible, which I suspect will very rarely not be the case). It does the same damn thing.

I have terrible timing. I also got a DSi XL right before the 3DS launched. I'm not aware of any advantage of using a DSi XL for DS games over a 3DS XL, so that feels like a total waste. In this case, I might end up preferring the form of the Circle Pad Pro over the New 3DS nub. I'll have to wait and see on that.

If it ends up that nothing I care about is New 3DS exclusive or substantially improved by it, then I will never need to bother with a New model. I can live with slower eshop response times. Otherwise I will get one but certainly not for quite some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Personally I thought they canceled the circle pad pro as unless I missed something Kid Icarus was the last to support it, and it was just a lazy extra stick for lefties only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's not accurate. Pretty flimsy list of supported titles (The only one that interests me didn't offer this feature in its North American form), but there's at least one 2014 release in there.

http://nintendo3ds.wikia.com/wiki/Circle_Pad_Pro

I don't believe that Circle Pad Pro compatibility and New 3DS extra stick/shoulder button compatibility being separate is being done to drive New 3DS sales. I think it's just a consequence of not thoroughly thinking this thing through since this odd divide and mixed compatibility is just going to confuse and anger their customers.

New 3DS will be sold on the merits of its enhancements, exclusive content, etc. It didn't need to not support Circle Pad Pro enabled releases out of the box (An extremely strange decision for what's being portrayed as the ultimate evolution of the 3DS line) or for new releases to eschew CPP support, in order to sell this thing.

A well thought out design would've meant that right analog and extra shoulder button support would've been one and the same, like every single person probably took for granted was going to be the case the day that this was revealed. That it's not is just a hallmark of sloppy design.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-21-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Looks like some European customers will be getting an early crack at this 3DS revision soon.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...bers_right_now

Maybe if they're lucky, something will appear in the next half year that actually utilizes these extra features. The early adapters in Japan and Australia are still waiting for the first New 3DS release, despite a few acting as if this was somehow the next generation of Nintendo handheld gaming rather than a mere system revision.

If it is, it's the first system anywhere to appear without any games for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I see that the regular 3DS already is becoming scarce and seems to have ceased being restocked. I suspect the regular 3DSXL will be following over the next few months.

There was no way that they were ever going to keep 5 different versions of the 3DS line in production simultaneously.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-06-2015 at 05:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They won't it's dead. Nintendo does overlap but not for long with handhelds as they know they need to shove people along or out.

I had no idea they did not still have out any New3DS specific games. What happened to Xenoblade? That seems tacky to have their GB to GBC style ugpraded system and nothing to show for it. And again in true NOA dickery fashion again the US is being hung out to dry looking at that link you had there. New3DS ambassadors meeting certain criteria. It would not surprise me if it was the original 3DS ambassadors perhaps them who also hit platinum too maybe, giving them the option to buy in. That would definitely limit the amount that could potentially go out as you'd have to be an original 3DS buyer at that inflated price that backfired.

I still want the thing but they better not dare release that thing in the US with nothing to play on it or they can piss off. I have total faith in them as a handheld maker still but after their utter failure to market or get games outside of what they control for the WiiU causing me to sell my first Nintendo 'active' system ever my overall trust in the company is shot where jumping in blind they've lost my trust.