Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "New 3DS" and "New 3DS XL" - Why (or Why Not) Will You Get One?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Do the screens still scratch each other when the unit is closed?
    Yes they can, both models. I'm convinced after seeing it on the various DS systems too that Nintendo does it on purpose to make money off repairs or new systems. I've had it get linear scratches that match the edge of the mismatch sized screens or where the circular pad sticks up enough to make contact. If they're close on a desk fine, but if you stick the thing into a snug case, a pocket, whatever, they rub. My 3DSXL had an unfortunate accident about a year ago, NOA through sheer kindness since the warranty was non-verifable for whatever reason still repaired it free. My screen inside was straight busted on bottom, but they replaced both the top/bottom and the notes noted the scratches so they wanted it fresh. If they did that other panel included I think they're just used to swapping them usually for a charge.

I always keep a flat folded over smooth cloth meant to wipe smudges off glasses inside the system when it's closed and it has never failed.

ZERO -- I couldn't care less about the face plates, but I want that model. Why? It's like $40 less. The battery life is just as nice. The system while like the 3DS in size, the screens have been slightly increased in size to be closer to what the old 3DSXL has. The smaller screen gives the intended proper clarity of the games. The New3DSXL model makes stuff a little less clear since it's blown up a bit, the new 3DS XL is even bigger than the XL while the screens are the same if I remember right and was done so for comfort concerns. I really don't want the New 3DSXL but NOA seems hell bent on forcing people to have no choice and pay more for no choice since the bastards have been region locking their handhelds since they added online with the DSi which sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had my XL for two years. And screens have never gotten scratched. And I do nothing special.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Same here, my 3DS XL screen has never got scratched and I close it normally.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think you'd have to put pressure on it to have issues, such as stuffing it in a pocket.

For something that you just keep at home, properly store, and gently open and close (Watch YouTube videos and it isn't hard to see why many people since the SP have had broken hinges on these things), I doubt one would have any problems.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-18-2015 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'm convinced after seeing it on the various DS systems too that Nintendo does it on purpose to make money off repairs or new systems.
    My 3DSXL had an unfortunate accident about a year ago, NOA through sheer kindness since the warranty was non-verifable for whatever reason still repaired it free.
    Yes, the horribly evil bastard asinine cheap skate cost cutters that purposefully do something to make money on repairs fixed it through sheer kindness.

Lawdy, this grows wearisome.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get the impression that Tanooki doesn't much care for modern day Nintendo.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Getting there. I've followed them since 1985 and the Wii was this tipping point towards getting fed up and the WiiU clinched me no longer buying a console of theirs until they prove they want developer support. Handhelds though I have no problem with except for the NOA office's cheapskate boneheaded garbage of no AC adapter and no standard New3DS. I also question releasing it just for the sake of a release with no software meant for it until 2 months after the fact. I already said more than once in this thread I want the thing and I'll get it this year, it's just that I see no reason to pop for it when it arrives with no games for it, but I do want Xenoblade and depending on cost Ace Combat too since I already have the 3DS standard release. I just dislike their cheaping out on a dollar in parts power cord.

Jorpho you dense or something? I said they were nice for doing that when it wasn't requested. If you read it clearly the point being made was this happens on a lot of units if any kind of compression is put to the system when it's closed. The entire problem shouldn't even exist because the SP never had the problem as they set the screen back into the top flap while the DS style stuff has been flush so it just smashes into it due to the raised bits of the bottom half. So unless they're that stupid it was intentionally designed to have this problem since they specifically designed it's predecessor not to have this problem with the inset screen on top and dents in bottom part where the dpad and buttons are to stop that along with bumpers at the corners too.

Attachment 7805

Now imagine if the 3DS had its bottom plate with the buttons, dpad, circle pad, c-stick nub all set into the plastic and then the top screen was put in a good 1/8 inch or so into the body above along with edge bumpers -- problem solved. I carried my SP around heavily when I had one of those for years and never got a scratch or rub on the screen ever from itself coming in contact with the screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Jorpho you dense or something? I said they were nice for doing that when it wasn't requested.
    Do you read your posts? Every one of them brims with so much frothing invective directed towards Nintendo that it is quite baffling that you are even capable of forming the concept of them doing something "nice".

I already said more than once in this thread I want the thing and I'll get it this year
    Clearly if you choose to do so you will only be offering your support to purveyors of cheapskate boneheaded garbage and demonstrating your willingness to buy more.

I'm not saying it's a good thing they're leaving out the AC adapter. Frankly, I have no idea! The insiders of the company know a whole lot of things that I don't, and I'm sure they've run the numbers and come to the decision that selling the AC adapter separately is the best course for the long run, striking a balance between damaging consumer confidence and generating a profit, the latter of which is what the company is supposed to do. I could find better words than "dumb" and "cheapskate boneheaded garbage" and "asinine cheap skate cost cutters" and so on.

So unless they're that stupid
    Stupid and/or evil bastards do not deserve your money.
    Last edited by Jorpho; 01-19-2015 at 10:30 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Seriously... I know every word I write and I make it a divide between their awfulness at the console level and the hope I have at the handheld level and that they get out of making consoles, do a scalable console/handheld setup, or a handheld that also docks so it works for a tv, as I don't see them wising up and making a system capable to get full support after the WiiU. I don't think you read my posts and you're trolling just for sport.

Cheapskate boneheaded garbage is exactly what their consoles have been now for 2 generations and how they handle them. My only hard gripe on the handheld is them being cheapskates with a power supply, otherwise I like the hardware. But sure, rewrite the story if it fits the cause eh? I think the company insiders don't see a big picture between the two systems, they see it all as one big venture, and they probably imagine as they said people will just shelve the old and use the power supply. That's fine if you want to keep it, but I don't think a lot of people will just keep old hardware around when they can get money for it.

The problem I find is they're stupid evil bastards with their consoles when they intentionally tell game makers to go jump off a bridge to use the hardware provided or walk. You have to be pretty cheap and dumb to take it as a petty threat and not a promise. Look what happened? Almost no third party support at all, outside of the eshop where it's an entirely different realm where they are kind of handling that pretty well. I don't find them stupid and evil with the whole line of Gameboy or the DS/3DS line of stuff. A few little questionable moves here and there like the DSi with no games other than 4 on a card and this no ac adapter thing on New3DS, but I think they've honorably handled handhelds on the whole very well. I do question their motives with region locking once online was added to the systems. I'd get it fine and all with the online downloads to control that, but the cards was not necessary at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think you read my posts
    I find they repeatedly belabor the same tired points and am probably starting to skim them.

But what value could my opinion possibly have? I'm "trolling just for sport", apparently.

Watch me shut up now.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    I get the impression that Tanooki doesn't much care for modern day Nintendo.
    I think Tanooki just finally started getting tired of Nintendo's bs. It wasn't too long ago where I was calling him a Nintendo fanboy for backing everything they did.

I used to love Nintendo a long time ago too, but when I've came to the realization of their bs, I really hate the company. I'll still buy their consoles because they do have some good third party exclusives and some of their own exclusives are good, but they treat their fanbase like shit.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hah thanks. Call me bitter I suppose, but I feel like I took hundreds of dollars in a loss on the WiiU for what I got out of it, and same with keeping the older Wii around as long as I did too because I didn't have the balls to dump it years earlier. We're on a tight budget here and the things I still can buy at this rate tend to come at a cost of selling off something I own or scrounging up some rarer flea market flips or left over b'day/christmas cash so having my money pissed into the wind pisses me off.

I supported them but I haven't been a real fanboy of them since the Gamecube period and even then that was a stretch as I got a PS2 as well to cover some holes. I'm just fed up with all the double talk, the lies, the repeated commentary from them feeding nothing but bs to keep those under their spell in check while flipping the bird to anyone who wants a bit more diversity other than what they can make or buy out and have made for them exclusively. It just got old, nothing more or less than that really. Personally I'd rather they wise up and even the console playing field, go unique with a scaled system or a dockable badass handheld, or just got the f' out console gaming and dedicated strictly to handhelds. They have strengths, they have some huge weaknesses, and I think at this rate the infection is probably too far gone and they need to amputate what will kill them eventually.

I don't particularly hate the company as a whole, yet I totally recognize a heap of reasons anyone including myself probably should at this point. I'm just not happy with them pretty much at all when it comes to consoles anymore as it's almost like they're globally trolling adult Nintendo gamers at the expense of fanboys and sucking in new generations of kids like a revolving door because eventually those kids will mostly tire of their shit and buy a PC, Playstation or xbox meaning they'll need more kids to take their place. Eventually though I feel it'll backfire because the kids they piss off won't buy the systems for their kids and then they're fucked. It's like how Toys R Us keeps closing stores, and a big whine you see online are adults who got burned by their high prices and shitty treatment when they were kids and won't take their children back there to overpay and take the bs still. You can only crap on people for so long before they walk and they keep their kids away too.

I can say with pure honesty given their last 2 consoles, I will NEVER buy my kid a Nintendo console again if they keep this pattern up. The handheld, sure, as long as they keep smart with it and have nice games, but the console, never. I'd rather give her access to my collection to enjoy that and for the newer stuff a retired laptop/pc and use of my new systems when the age appropriateness is there.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 01-20-2015 at 08:54 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Another thing to consider with buying newer systems is the firmware. If you want to use 3DS flashcarts you'll need older versions of the firmware for them to work properly, I believe version 4.5 or below. I haven't looked too much into it at the moment.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh, I'll stick with my Old 3DSXL and CPP. Looks to be much more comfortable than that tiny-ass nipple thing on the new system. Not to mention this setup feels more like a controller in your hand. Nintendo seems to think all humans have hands like children. The screens and system get bigger while the controls get smaller.

And I could care less about another lame exclusive rpg. A port of a hard-to-find Wii game is hardly a system seller and most casual gamers probably have never even heard of the game. Boring.

The improved 3D is also no big deal to me, I'll deal with what I have. I laugh at people who complain about Nintendo, yet CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THEM and keep giving them money. I would never pay for a piece of electronic equipment that doesn't include a freaking ac adaptor. Whats next? Companies cheaping out and not including plugs with consoles, tvs, and cell phones? How much money could they possibly be saving with this cheapo move? That tells you they are financially in trouble if they are resorting to cost cutting measures like this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hah funny I'm not the on!y one saying cheap for that. Good point about xenoblade and perhaps the n3ds is just being handled like that because for them with no real competition they can hood on in that space better while in console land they get thrashed.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still cannot understand why Tanooki hates the Wii U so much. It could be a thread about a commodore 64, and he would somehow find a way to talk about how jaded he is with the Wii U and Nintendo.

I play my Wii U probably 5 times a week. Taken for what it is, it is a good console.

Also, I've owned many variants of the DS, and I have never had a screen scratch simply by using the thing.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZP3 View Post
    I still cannot understand why Tanooki hates the Wii U so much. It could be a thread about a commodore 64, and he would somehow find a way to talk about how jaded he is with the Wii U and Nintendo.
    I think he makes it pretty clear every time he does post about it. I am pretty jaded with my Wii U as well. It is just a Smash Bros machine at the moment. Hopefully the new Zelda and Star Fox tickle my fancy. I am really worried that Star Fox is going to be just trash. They seem to have forgotten that Star Fox is really just a shooter and that is it. That is why people loved it in the first place.

I will not be getting a "New" 3DS. There is no reason to. I just have a 2DS anyways. The 3D adds nothing to the experience for me. I also never got the hate for 3D movies but everyone likes the 3DS. Oh, well.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't hate IT, I hate Nintendo's handling of it. The system itself as you said 'for what it is' is excellent, and I won't lie about that and the same can be said for the Wii which I discarded too. It's Nintendo's console wing I'm entirely fed up with. They make a great system, but then release it 5 years too late to do any good for most peoples tastes and not just mine, unless you really are just buying it for Nintendo and second party Nintendo stuff. I like to have a lot of variety on a system because I'm very picky anymore on what I'll sink my time and money into, and Nintendo has worked their asses off to drive a loyal customer like myself away and I have been since I got the test launch NES in 1985. Up until the Wii life, people who recall me online in various places would rip me for being a Nintendo fanboy, maybe not a totally blind one who sucks up, but a fanboy still. If those people then would have seen my posts over the last year probably would have figured I ended up getting some traumatic brain injury.

The WiiU itself is fantastic. I loved the tablet controller a lot of people panned because I could play my games off TV while my kid used it. I loved they finally grew up and gave a full controller button/sticks layout too. The HD level of visuals and the audio on the thing are exceptional. The games I had were fantastic other than the shit EA shoveled that was a year late and/or crippled. I had NSMBU, Mario3DWorld, ZeldaWWHD, DKC, ZombiU, Rayman, RE Revelations, Ducktales, COD Ghosts, Mass Effect 3, NFS Most Wanted U, and Nintendoland. My issue was that they flipped the bird to the industry and said they wouldn't comply with their wishes on hardware levels to get games and as such got thrown under the bus far worse than they deserved. It could have been given any PS3/360 game as a port and as a revenge play they weren't coming nearly at all. I ran out of stuff to play, and going forward I would have only bought Starfox and Xenoblade, plus when my brother said (he's a 3rd party licensee member) what is known now is like 85% of what's left to come through 2015 unless some unlikely E3 bomb hit, I'd have nothing to play. So I sold it when the getting was good.

If he's proven wrong and there's a heap of gems I know I'd enjoy, I'd buy a WiiU again in 2016, but I'm not holding my breath. So no, I don't hate WiiU itself. I hate the situation Nintendo caused intentionally to happen to themselves and the third party d-bags who rubbed salt in the wound further by refusing to port over PS3/360 games that easily could have come over. Notice the game list there, I did buy the non-halfassed 3rd party stuff(EA aside.) WiiU has no variety for me now so I quit. How about we just leave this alone, or someone can make a thread, I'll write all my reasons in it, and then if this comes up again I'll just link back to the forum debate on why things suck as this thread is about the New3DS which I am into.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I feel like Nintendo should have done what Sony is doing with smaller/indie devs and get a program going to encourage and cultivate innovative games in that space, for both download and retail. That would really be their only hope in the third party space; EA, Ubi, etc are never going to support a Nintendo home console.

Of course, that would first require Nintendo actually have an online infrastructure with unified accounts and and so on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wasn't even going to go there since I'm not a digital download buyer. Their newest network setup isn't too bad, but still not great when they bind games to systems and not accounts despite finally actually making accounts which makes even less sense than it did before. I have hopes they'll grow up in that space sooner than later as they're clearly being dragged along and they did for awhile cultivate the indie development if you look at the library of stuff between the WiiU and the 3DS. They got some fantastic stuff like Steamworld Dig, Unepic, and others.