Thread: Pier Solar HD release date set for PS4, PS3, PC and Ouya [Eurogamer.net]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow Pier Solar HD release date set for PS4, PS3, PC and Ouya [Eurogamer.net]

Pier Solar and the Great Architects, the HD remake of the 2010's epic Sega Mega Drive RPG, is due on 30th September for PS4, PS3, Ouya, and PC via Steam.
    Developer WaterMelon noted that release dates for its Xbox One, Wii U and Dreamcast (yes, Dreamcast!) versions will be announced next month as it's currently pending certification from Microsoft and Nintendo.
    This HD revision of Pier Solar raised a respectable $231K on Kickstarter in December 2012. The developer was originally only asking for $139K, but the project was so successful that it hit every one of its stretch goals, hence why it's coming to so many platforms in the very near future.
    Read more…

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Oh noes! There goes my resale value!
    (I kid... mostly)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's already up on Ouya for $14.99, which is pretty darned steep IMO.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I remember back when this game was first being made, it was because fans of the Genesis wanted more RPGs on it to show it could rival the SNES with quality RPGs. It was planned to only be released on the Genesis. Plenty of people asked for an SNES version but I remember replies saying no because they wanted it to be special for the Genesis, something unique to the Genesis console.

Now it's ported out to multiple consoles and the PC. They're selling out, it's kind of sad but I don't blame them. I'd probably do the same thing if I made a limited game that became really popular. Now instead of making a game for love, it's all for money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I agree it's wise, but to those early high priced physical buyers for the Genesis it is a bit of a burn and a sell out. I'm honestly surprised they actually set a stretch goal for anything Nintendo based. MS, Sony, Ouya, android whatever....that all makes sense. I followed out of curiosity that project since before its original release over a couple places I used to visit online and one thing was very clear, watermelon is not a pro-Nintendo developer, quite the contrary they fairly well disliked the company and really has no love for the SNES. I was super surprised when they came forward with that projectN thing supposedly for SNES so maybe their founder changed his tune or got vetoed by the fans/staff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I doubt those that own this in physical form on the Genesis are too terribly disappointed that there's a downloadable remake of it on modern consoles.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played the demo on Steam as per Kitsune's recommendation. It really is good, but they have to iron out some flaws for that release. The modern graphics are a mess, and you can barely see where you are going in forests due to all of the overgrowth. The caves are way too dark to see. I thought maybe it was intentional, but then I switched to 16-bit and it was a breeze to navigate. They're trying way too hard to be artsy with the modern graphics, so much so that it impedes gameplay.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I agree it's wise, but to those early high priced physical buyers for the Genesis it is a bit of a burn and a sell out.
    It really is. Even when they made a reprint it was a sell out, originally it was supposed to be limited and that would be it. Then the reprint came missing the pressed soundtrack CD, meaning that would be special. And after that a reprint of the soundtrack CD was available for sale as well.

The only thing I disagree with is calling the original release overpriced. Originally physical copies were priced at $35 from what I remember, with a deluxe version being $55(this is from memory so maybe I'm a bit off). Only with the reprint edition did the pricing get raised. Originally they weren't looking to profit from the game, only to cover the costs of manufacturing and shipping. This was all before kickstarter and other online types of panhandling so I appreciated what they were doing.

I followed out of curiosity that project since before its original release over a couple places I used to visit online and one thing was very clear, watermelon is not a pro-Nintendo developer, quite the contrary they fairly well disliked the company and really has no love for the SNES.
    The project was started on Eidolon's Inn, it was a forum/community for fans of Sega consoles. Specifically in relation to developing or programming content for those consoles. Of course the project wouldn't be intended for Nintendo consoles, really any non-Sega consoles. It was a single homebrew project worked on by fans of the Sega Genesis. It wasn't made by an actual professional developer at that point, just fans of the console. The goals of the project changed over time(as well as the people working on the game), but only after it started selling well did they focus on turning the project into a money making opportunity including these new re-releases of the game and upcoming new games currently being worked on.

It seems the original Eidolon's Inn is now dead, but still exists today with a new address and a new layout(using new software). The old content is slowly being archived to the new site.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I remember back when this game was first being made, it was because fans of the Genesis wanted more RPGs on it to show it could rival the SNES with quality RPGs. It was planned to only be released on the Genesis. Plenty of people asked for an SNES version but I remember replies saying no because they wanted it to be special for the Genesis, something unique to the Genesis console.

Now it's ported out to multiple consoles and the PC. They're selling out, it's kind of sad but I don't blame them. I'd probably do the same thing if I made a limited game that became really popular. Now instead of making a game for love, it's all for money.
    Good for them. They made a quality product and it should be available to as wide an audience as possible. They don't owe speculators/collectors a thing.

<--- bought a first print Genesis version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I never saw the initial run if it was $35 good for them, but I recall the news coverage, kickstarter going live and the rest and the price there wasn't all that great and has escalated I think a bit since with the other physical releases. Digital though, the long term rental format has stayed cheap. I wasn't ripping on Eidolons Inn era stuff, but the development team in general made stories years back about stuff basically sounding like stoking the 90s console wars fire on how much Nintendo sucked and why they'd not make games on that format is what I referred to. There's still backpedaling trolls that do that even in 2014 looking at that team with Sewer Shark with the garbage they spouted off to quickly retreat after taking considerable flack for it saying they could do it. I'm just saying I'm kind of surprised they're bothering with a SNES game is all considering their years long stance on it.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

It's been a few years. Maybe they just changed their minds about Nintendo.

Or grew up from Sega fanboys in fanmen. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Man I am so torn which version I should buy Pier Solar for...Ouya or PS3. It fits the Ouya like a glove, but it would mean over a GB taken up on my Ouya. I could store it on an external drive, but the drive also takes longer to boot from off the more big Ouya games that are stored on it.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I remember the first time I heard of the project on Eidolon's Inn. (At the time, it was a reliable place to go for Sega CD BIOS ROMs.) I was certain it would fail miserably just like every other overly ambitious homebrew project.

Anyway, I'll wait for it to appear in a Steam bundle of some sort. From what I hear it isn't an especially fantastic RPG anyway.

There's still backpedaling trolls that do that even in 2014 looking at that team with Sewer Shark with the garbage they spouted off to quickly retreat after taking considerable flack for it saying they could do it.
    Sewer Shark did what now?
    Last edited by Jorpho; 10-10-2014 at 11:08 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think it's on kickstarter but those who made Sewer Shark wanted to re-release it for the modern consoles, PC and tablets, but made a big thing about how Nintendo sucks and they would not release it to their systems, just everyone else because of the old Sega vs Nintendo era childish drama. The media and a bunch of gamers gave them a whole pile of crap over it and they backpedaled saying they could do it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's on kickstarter but those who made Sewer Shark wanted to re-release it for the modern consoles
    It was Night Trap they wanted to rerelease, not Sewer Shark.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ahh yeah that's what it was. I just remember they were all equally terrible so the name escaped me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

They didn't want to release the Night Trap remake on Nintendo's new console because Nintendo treated them like crap in the 90's. More details with the link below.

http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2014...stems-license/