Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling my sharp nes tv, have questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Selling my sharp nes tv, have questions

I cross posted this at racketboy to get as many answers as possible on this, sorry if it's a re-run. **Updated, this isn't an IF, I am going to sell it.

To be honest in the last year, other than to test a game out here and there or play a N64 a couple times I've not used it at all. I'm thinking I may want to let it go, but I'm kind of at a loss for the best method both in getting the most out of it, but also the safest so it doesn't get wrecked or get online scammed.

The TV I have, no current pics at the moment, is entirely complete, nothing broken off of it, and when I got it around 3 years back I opened it up, cleaned it out nicely and fine tuned all of it using the schematics online. I've got the 2 black controllers that work great, and I have the remote and while it works it's damaged as it was cracked on the side when I got it.

I've seen horror stories of them going through the mail(ups/etc) or even with freight crates and feet being bent/sheered off, the flimsy boards inside getting cracked from being thrown around, or the CRT itself coming loose in the frame which is all bad clearly.

What would one of you in my position do with selling this if I did it? Local pickup only? Packing seems to be playing with fire. I bought this from the original owner, it's complete and all original parts with lower hours on it since he was an adult when it came out.

I put an album of pictures of the TV online: http://s232.photobucket.com/user/tan...?sort=9&page=1
    Last edited by Tanooki; 09-26-2014 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

If you decide to sell it, don't sell it local pick up only. That kind of thing drives me NUTS. If someone is willing to pay shipping, there is absolutely no reason not to offer to ship it.

Keep the controllers/remote together. Don't piecemeal it. That's a dick thing to do, like when snobby game stores get rare games traded in and sell the game and manual seperately to maximize their profits. Dick move, every time. Don't be that guy.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well yeah I don't think I'd part it out, it is wrong.

As far as shipping goes. If someone wanted to arrange something with a fright shipper they could, but I'm not taking on that level of craziness over it as I'd hate to have any liability at all if it was broken in transit. I definitely would rather not shove it on ebay, they're greedy and take too much and make sellers victims to scum regularly and this would be a hot one for a jerk.

Looking at them the beat up but complete stuff minus remote seems to fall around 500, one that's in good shape and complete with one seems to be around $700, and you get some weird desperate types paying upwards of 1K which I can't figure on ebay. I'd probably take the $650-700 range on it, it would get me that laptop I want.

Not sure why local would drive you nuts, you interested in it? :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would shop it around with a preference on local pickup on cash, cut a better deal for those willing to work within that.

Let those interested in shipping it send you offers as well, but make sure to note that shipping liability is not going to be yours and to require insurance from whoever buys it and wants it shipped.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Put it on craigslist and backpage if you're doing it locally.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Sure, try to sell it locally, but also try online too. Don't exclusively sell it locally because you can't be bothered to ship it.

These are 14" or at most 19" tvs aren't they? Just put it in a box with Styrofoam and secure it good and it'd be fine to ship anywhere. Put insurance on it if the buyer wants. This isn't the size of an arcade cabinet, there's no reason you couldn't ship it. Go to your local post office and talk to the guy about the possibility and get an idea of what would be involved.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

There is no reason you cant just type up a listing and have it on craigslist now. If you can get someone to pay what you want and pick it up in person that would be best.
    And I would think selling everything together, controllers and remote would bring more $$ than piecing it apart.
    Mailing a TV set sounds like a huge headache and potentially damaging. If I were you I would just leave it on CL until someone bites. Its a rare nintendo item so eventually someone will.

Also concerning insuring items in the mail, keep in mind that if it arrives damaged or broken YOU will probably be the one who has to make the damage claim, because the buyer wont want to considering how easy it is to file a paypal claim.
    If the package were to get dropped, and the tv were to break without any noticable damage to the shipping carton the buyer might just think it was shipped broken.
    If they are unhappy all they gotta do is file a claim through paypal to take back their payment.
    Buying shipping insurance is often just a waste of money.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 09-26-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Satoshi back when I was at that other site a few people shipped them, said that it was around $90 to ship it a couple years back if I remember right and I don't recall if that was USPS freight or UPS. I never really dug into the details of it, just the horror stories of those people buying stuff and getting it damaged in shipping. I'm not against shipping, just not really looking to do it with the risk especially on ebay where they often screw the seller.

The sharp is a 19" set upon another deck below it which is the NES itself in there. The two parts of the TV are tethered by a flimsy set of two thin wires that are jacked into the top and bottom parts of the tv right into their respective motherboards. Each part is modular with their own sets of screws then another to compress the pair together into one.

Mailing it is a huge pain, you'd need to get a super reinforced sturdy cardboard box with wood planking for the frame to keep it safe. Within would take moving level wrapping where you pad around it, then seal it in the big roll of clear saran wrap type packing to compress the padding. After that you'd need to buy a crap ton of peanuts, bubble wrap, airbags that fill with expanding foam or something to cover all the empty space. It's costly and still a risk as packages often get tossed.

I will NOT piece it out, I was just making a general topic there but it just seems scummy to do that especially since it's all original parts out of the box.

I've taken pictures of both sides of both controllers and the remote with it's crack in the side. The TV I did all four sides and the bottom of it as well. I intend to fire off a small 30sec video of it as well so people can see the picture quality and hear the sound too to make someone feel more comfortable with it. I may take a picture of it turned on as well if someone is video lazy. I just edited the original post(Bottom) placing an album of all the pictures I've taken of the TV.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 09-26-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I were you sell it locally. Why bother with the bullshit of packaging, risk of damage etc....Im pretty sure you can get someone interested locally

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I wouldn't offer shipping for something like this, it's just not worth the hassle. With bigger and rarer high demand items, plenty of people would be willing to travel to get this(especially in the US). If the cost of gas is less than the shipping costs would be, they'll pick it up.

The only real way it would be reasonable to ship this is if you have the original box and packing material, if not it would be a pain to get suitable packing material. You can get custom boxes made to order(double walled), but think of how much time and effort all that would take plus the cost of all this packing material. Or, if not a custom box, a custom built skid. Either way, it's a lot of work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't really want to ship it, the cost of materials and the pain in the ass process of it plus the ease of being scammed on a broken tv is too high.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

You have to realize though, these things saw hell getting shipped to the states and then to the stores and put up on the shelves. Sure it had molded Styrofoam, but not much else in the box. I just say insure the shit out of it pack the shit out of it so it doesn't move around in the box and maybe Terry and find a way to secure the guts down ands make sure the seller knows to remove the gut secures before turning it on. If it was west coast (and I had the money) I'd drive to get it

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    You have to realize though, these things saw hell getting shipped to the states and then to the stores and put up on the shelves. Sure it had molded Styrofoam, but not much else in the box.
    It's not just the way it's packed, but the way it's handled. There would be a bunch of these in boxes all secured together to a skid, and shipped all together directly from the manufacturer. The manufacturing company would make sure the skids are carefully packed/loaded by them, would some random shipping company like FedEx or UPS take the same care? Would they even know or pay attention to what's in the packaging that they're moving around? Plus, after 20+ years the plastic parts are a bit more fragile then they would have been back when built. I'm also sure some would have been damaged during shipping, they just wouldn't have been sold to the general public or they would have been returned and exchanged if any slipped through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

after they hit distribution state side those neatly packed pallets with one UPC per pallet got broken down tossed around and crammed on to other pallets that didn't stack well to go to other ware houses to be distributed to retailers.

so I think USPS and FedEx aren't going to be any worse.

any really the manufacturer isn't any more careful than the rest they just keep multiples of one item per pallet so they stack nicely, they don't have to bother with misshapen boxes from other people on the same pallet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Look if it ends up on ebay it's not going to be anything but local pick up, too much scheming on there. Now if someone on here wanted it, and they paid for the shipping and materials as I don't have anything like that on this level they can have it. I just do not wish to risk being yet another in a long line of victim rubble spit out by ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking as a FedEx guy, if you do decide to ship it, I would crate it, rather than use a box alone. Big heavy boxes often get unintentionally dropped. They also get stuff stacked on top of them during transit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    If you decide to sell it, don't sell it local pick up only. That kind of thing drives me NUTS. If someone is willing to pay shipping, there is absolutely no reason not to offer to ship it.
    I wouldn't say no reason. It's a lot of work and semi-high risk, plus you have to find a huge box and tons of padding. They may not be reasons you agree with, but they are pretty decent reasons IMO.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

With something as rare as this I would personally offer shipping as well and like stated above I would go frieght.

Speaking for myself if this is something I wanted I would be happy to pay the extra to get it shipped as that's the only way I'll ever be able to get my hands on one. I've been more than happy to have items shipped from all over the world both large and small to get the item I wanted and in the condition I wanted. $150 or so may seem like a lot of money right now but after a couple months you'll forget you ever spent it on shipping and will be happy you have what you really wanted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

just sayin

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    http://www.redriderleglamps.com/skin/frontend/default/acsh/images/bigcratelarge.jpg

just sayin
    Haha, point and match.