Thread: October 2014 Finds

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default October 2014 Finds

Got a huge one today, literally.

Have had a pretty dry last two months or so. Have been put off by the usual Craigslist BS and all garage sales this summer have been complete busts. So I got up at 3 am this morning for the 3 hour drive to the last outdoor flea market of the season. 3 hours walking around and all I had was RE1 for the ps1 $(8) and Time Splitters 2 GC ($4). So a little bummed but half of the fun is the searching so me and the wife were headed towards the exit. Only Fox's Head was visible as it was propped between a vendors table and some sort of sign leaning against it. It didn't click with me right away and I looked at it a bit before realizing it was Starfox.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0255 (2).jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	7672

I Google image searched real quick because without seeing the full figure I thought it looked a little off or generic and wanted to see what kinda price it was gonna cost me because I wanted it bad. Found a picture, no price but the web page said maybe 20 made by Nintendo. Bingo, $500 popped into my head as my top price as of the moment. As I walked through the booth I looked at the other wares to guesstimate what he would be asking for it to not get my hopes up. Nice stuff, clean, large dollar items spread around. Looking back at Fox two separate guys were going over him. I needed to find the seller and quick. Found him and immediately asked how much for Starfox? No time for small talk. He replies $150! My mind froze- How much money was in my wallet or was I going to have to get him to hold it until I could get the cash from my car. I take out my wallet and start going through my bills, my hands start shaking.

Just then one of the guys looking at Fox comes from behind and asks how much for the statue. The Seller says he has an offer of $150 for it looking at me. Frantically grabbing the last of the bills from my wallet I wave them in the air. Out of disinterest or respect the other buyer backs away, I was too nervous to even look at him. Laid my money down, grabbed it in a big bear hug and headed for the exit dazed. Seemed like everyone was staring at me, although it was probably not unwarranted, seeing a 6 foot man with an enormous grin walking with a giant plastic fox.

Here is one possible origin from an Ebay listing:
    Large life-size statue of Fox McCloud from Star Fox was released in North America in 1993 by Nintendo of America. It was on a world tour promotion for Nintendo. There were only twenty of these statues made. After the tour they were used in some video game retailers to promote Star Fox, a 3D shooter released for the Super NES on March 1, 1993. Some also were in a few Nintendo companies throughout America. Once the promotion was over, most retailers sold them to customers. This statue stands around 3 and a half feet tall and around 2 feet wide. He is relatively light weight because he is made of plastic. He has screw holes in the bottom of his feet because at one time they had to bolt these rare statues down to prevent them from walking off.

Here is a different story I found:
    This is a huge advertising display that really wasn’t intended for stores but was intended to be displayed in Nintendo corporate offices. Not sure what it is made of – hard plastic, fiberglass, resin? It is rigid and hollow inside. I believe it was produced in 2000 and has no labels or any identifying information on it. I bought it about 9 years ago from someone who used to work at Nintendo. I was told that only 10-20 of these were produced. It is 46” tall, 27” wide elbow to elbow, and 21” deep from tip of his nose to tip of his tail. It weighs approximately 21 lbs. and is attached to a heavy metal base.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

Quote Originally Posted by Dashopepper View Post
    Got a huge one today, literally.

Have had a pretty dry last two months or so. Have been put off by the usual Craigslist BS and all garage sales this summer have been complete busts. So I got up at 3 am this morning for the 3 hour drive to the last outdoor flea market of the season. 3 hours walking around and all I had was RE1 for the ps1 $(8) and Time Splitters 2 GC ($4). So a little bummed but half of the fun is the searching so me and the wife were headed towards the exit. Only Fox's Head was visible as it was propped between a vendors table and some sort of sign leaning against it. It didn't click with me right away and I looked at it a bit before realizing it was Starfox.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0255 (2).jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	7672
    Wow! That's a big one to bring home!

Anyhow, after a couple of weeks of drought, I picked up some recent goodies to the mix:

-Mega Man X2 Box, Manual, and Inserts
    -Mega Man X3 Cart
    -Mega Man X4 Complete

Picked these up from a "retired" collector who wanted to rid some excess video games from his closet, and move out to another state in November so I got a fair deal out of them

-Dangaronpa 2: Goodbye Despair

I have read and seen the anime recently, and was pretty happy to pick up this gem from the NIS website a while back

-Shovel Knight CD and other goodies

I have been following the development for this game from the Kickstarter promotion, and the game plays like a charm on my PC. The goodies received were a nice gesture to the NES era

-Psylocke Comics 1-4

I remembered seeing these comics at my local comic book store at the mall a few years ago, and held off on picking up the set until now :P

-OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I received this one as a Birthday gift and it's pretty awesome! Spec-wise and performance-wise, it has outclassed my current iPhone 4S. I plan to make the switch pretty soon! Overall, it has been a very good start to the month!
    Last edited by Zama; 10-09-2014 at 08:59 PM.

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So this came today. For those unaware [I had no idea], this was a limited Korean only release and is arguably the single rarest master system game world wide.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mak_jong.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	7679  

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NessFreaK View Post
    So this came today. For those unaware [I had no idea], this was a limited Korean only release and is arguably the single rarest master system game world wide.
    Nice find. How much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking? This was actually a Hong Kong release, not from Korea. And it's the second rarest SMS game worldwide, the rarest game is Smurfs 2 (Les Schtroumpfs Autour Du Monde) which so far basically only turned up in the Czech Republic.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I have to wonder how rare Smurfs 2 actually is when, a couple years ago at least, I saw some sellers with full original shipping cases (of course asking collector prices for each copy of the game!).

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    I have to wonder how rare Smurfs 2 actually is when, a couple years ago at least, I saw some sellers with full original shipping cases (of course asking collector prices for each copy of the game!).
    As I understand it, once this game came to light(and there was demand for it from collectors) the person who discovered the game went back and bought as many copies as he could find. He and his friends/family looked for the game for a few years every chance they had when in the Czech Republic, eventually it dried up so the only copies known to exist are the copies that he found. Sure he found cases full, but that's it. Is that even 100 copies known to exist?

Here's one sold auction that I could find. It's probably the same auction you've mentioned, there's a shipping box shown but the selling price is for just one copy. It's not a full shipping box though, I don't think it was found still full.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-SMURFS-T...-/390425302034

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Nice find. How much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking? This was actually a Hong Kong release, not from Korea. And it's the second rarest SMS game worldwide, the rarest game is Smurfs 2 (Les Schtroumpfs Autour Du Monde) which so far basically only turned up in the Czech Republic.
    I got fairly lucky and scored it from a fellow Canadian collector for $120... One of my closer collector friends has a complete worldwide master system set, with the MAH-Jong version, so we wanted to do a bit of a comparison between the 2 case variants.

I honestly feel that although Smurfs 2 typically sells for more, the absolute number of Mah Jong's available is fewer than that of Smurfs 2. At any given time there is a couple Smurfs 2's available on eBay or elsewhere, whilst the same cannot be said for MAH / MAK -Jong.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Does Hong Kong not like Mahjong?
    I find it odd that the rarest (retail) first-party NES game is also a Hong Kong release Mahjong game (that was pretty much unknown until a couple years ago).